“Rancho” Shocks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By wpetko
  • 1 Post By NickKent
  • 2 Post By wpetko
  • 1 Post By jjmstang
  • 1 Post By 2015_PSD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (17)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
“Rancho” Shocks

Greetings, Friends,
We all know that the Rancho branded shocks that come with the FX4 package are pretty much crap, but should they show signs of wearing out before 50,000 miles like mine are doing? Mine are acting like they are GONE. I’m thinking about replacing them with Bilstein 5100s because I tried them on my last truck & was very pleased with them. If anyone here has a recommendations of suggestions about this or another product please feel free to weigh in.
Thanks!
HeavyAssault likes this.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM

My Photos: (0)
I’ve got 20k on mine. They suck. They sucked from day 1. I’m getting bilsteins. And the stabilizer too.
If running a stock height truck, any gain going to a 5100 shock or better to stick with 4600 shocks?
HeavyAssault likes this.

1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKent View Post
I’ve got 20k on mine. They suck. They sucked from day 1. I’m getting bilsteins. And the stabilizer too.
If running a stock height truck, any gain going to a 5100 shock or better to stick with 4600 shocks?
On my last truck I went with the 5100 series. They were great. ‘Getting a set of them installed at the local 4 Wheel Parts store next week because they had the best price. I would have ordered a set on line (even cheaper) & installed them myself, but I’m recovering from rotator cuff surgery & have some restrictions. ‘Can’t wait to feel the difference.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

WOO-HOO!!! I got my Bistein 5100 series shocks installed yesterday at my local 4 Wheel Parts store in Beaumont, Texas. The difference over the factory “faux” Rancho shocks was unbelievable. They were completely used up with only 48,000 miles. Of course, my truck still rides like a one ton truck & that’s fine. I knew it would ride like that when I bought it, but the ride is so much better with the new Bilsteins.
Some of you may be wondering about cost so here it is. The turn key job including installation cost $435.00. Oh, I could have saved some money ordering the shocks form somewhere like Roc Auto or Summit Racing & installing them myself like I did with my last truck, but two recent surgeries have me under some restrictions so I can’t pull on any wrenches just yet & the shocks couldn’t wait. I’ve got some friends that would have been glad to help as well, but they are all busy recovering from flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey or are helping others rebuild so I didn’t want to bother them.
Bottom line, Bilstein 5100 shocks and 4 Wheel Parts are both great & I wouldn’t hesitate doing business with either one of them again.
HeavyAssault and ArcticDriver like this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:27 AM

The Rancho "Branded" shocks are nothing but Ford Motorcraft shocks with a Rancho sticker on them.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2016 CCLB 6.7 Platinum SRW
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:31 AM

My Photos: (2)
I guess I should be looking at replacing my shocks soon, I'm heading for half a million miles on my truck with the original "Rancho's" on it...the darn things just keep passing the annual commercial safety inspection every year so I ignore them. Sounds like 5100's are the way to go.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM

The Ranchos are complete garbage--in fact, the OEM Motorcraft shocks on my F-150 FX4 were better than these Ranchos. I have about 48K on my F-250 and they are about gone. I replaced the MC's on the F-150 with Bilstein 5100s (instead of 4600s) and was very pleased that I did. I would highly recommend the 5100s for the F250/F350 as well--if you ever need to remove the rake from the truck, you will have the ability to do so with the 5100s and I also wonder if the 5100s are heavier duty than the 4600s.
HeavyAssault likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:59 AM

I swapped out the 4" blocks under the rear for 2" blocks. Would that change the rear shock part# that I should be using?

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 PM

Probably. Compare the measurements of the shocks to your truck.

1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I swapped out the 4" blocks under the rear for 2" blocks. Would that change the rear shock part# that I should be using?
‘Good question. I imagine that if you compare the part number for Bilstein 5100 shocks for an F-250 (2” blocks) and an F-350 (4” blocks) it will tell you whether the part number is the same or not & if not, which shock to use. That should answer your question.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 AM

@wpetko That should work. Thanks.

I had no problem lowering the truck and leaving the shocks alone so I should be fine with the same ones, but if I'm going to the trouble of replacing, I might as well get the ones that fit the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in