Single Rear Wheel Towing - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I tow a bunch. I have a 36 foot 16k 5ver, travel trailer, horse trailer, and big flatbed trailer. Hauled all over the country. Had several single wheel 350's and several duallys.

Never had any problem on any road or trip because of having a dually. Even in really remote back country. The older I get the more I prefer a dually because of its stability and simply really safe feeling. I would never exclude a dually purchase because of a concern for one specific location or trip. I've never had any regret on any road with a dually and I have been on many of the worst I think.

2011 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab Dually 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 PM

I lived in California for 4 years and there is not enough money in the world to make me travel back to that hell hole. But I understand I am taking a calculated risk. But I make sure I am safe. I had a leaf added ,air bags and upgraded breaks. I also travel at a safe speed and leave myself plenty of room when possible.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:40 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not trying to derail this thread:

I've towed fivers since '89 and yeah 20 years ago, nobody even paid mind to a 45' triple axle sitting on a 3/4 ton. Times have changed, endorsement required at 10K trailer GVWR and yeah CHP is randomly stopping rigs. It's been said before on this forum: as California does, so does the rest of the country. I not going to tell anybody what to do, but I will make sure they are aware. Been an RV tech for 4 yrs now and I have delivered/seen lots of over gross rigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 AM
DKR

Let me throw a huge curve into this thread.

I really don't care for the LB since it's my daily driver and it's a PIA to get to my dog box. I also have to pull out my big dog box every time we tow the 5th wheel which is another PIA so for my next truck I'm going back to a F250SB and buying an Automated Safety Hitch to tow the 5W.

The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:52 PM

If it happens to me I will just go buy a bigger truck. The wife would have no problem with me buying a new one. She tried to get me to buy one off the lot when I got this one. But I like living debt free

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 AM
DKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Thanks, DKR, for the information; I'm a little relieved to read your post except for two things. I'm surprised that your 40 footer only weighs 15000 fully loaded and that your '15 has a tow rating of 16200. The 37 ft Mobile Suites that I have ordered, will have an unloaded weight of a little over 15k before I put the first beer in the fridge; and second, Ford rates the tow load of my '12, 6.7, cc, lwb, srw, at 15,700 pounds. I'm not looking at your configuration, but if it's the same as mine, I wonder how the '15 got the additional 500 pounds. Also, like you, I keep my speed down to 60-65, and am also all over NM, especially the area that you mentioned awa Taos and south across the mountains to Sipapou. I'm relieved to read that your truck handles such a large and heavy trailer so well. Thanks again.
Sorry for the delay we've been playing hooky.

We have a Forest River Cedar Creek 36CKTS. It's really not in the same class as a Mobile Suite and we will never buy a Forest River product again for a variety of reasons. Our next 5th wheel I'm pretty sure will be an Augusta-RV. Over 80% of the RV's built today are built by either Thor or FR and all they are really concerned with is pushing boxes out the door. The build quality from these companies is at best really subpar.

Anyway off my soap box, our trailer weighs UVW 12670 with a GVWR of 16407 and is 39' 10" long according to their website.

Mobile Suites was purchased by Thor a few years ago and like all that has gone that way it has suffered in build quality. Same thing with Redwood which is also a Thor company. If your not to far into this you might want to look at the Augusta line.

Last edited by DKR; 09-19-2016 at 04:09 PM.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (16)
I appreciate the response, DKR, and I did not know about the Thor buyout. Regardless, mine is beginning production and I wouldn't change my mind anyway. I read the write up about the Luxe in Trailer Life, and although a great coach, I still prefer the MS. I really like the 15 inch frame and 3 1/4 inch walls. We looked at a '15 last year and a '16 this year and the fit and trim displayed great QC. But back to the original, I'm still sweating the weight.

Last edited by clev; 09-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM
DKR

I'd be really concerned with the GVW of the trailer which is 19K that's more than 3k over the truck GVW.

You might be putting 10lbs of poop in a 8lb sack.

The truck will tow it but how well will it stop and handle.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

The gvwr of the five is ~19k pounds and I'm not concerned about that, because it'll never be that heavy; that's where I've posted that I'll have to be really careful about loading. I'm not getting some of the options like the 2nd bedroom slide, the large residential fridge, the king bed, fire place, and a couple of other things. I've been in touch with the factory and the weight with propane and batteries will be about mid 15's. I've been towing and packing for 40 years and don't tow with full water or holding tanks. I fill water as I go in and dump as I come out. I'm not extravagant with goodies, so I think I can keep the weight to lower or mid 16's. With the performance work that I've had done, the airbags at all 4 corners, and Kodiak disks with Mor-Ryde individual wheel suspension (no axle) on the five, I'm thinking it'll be alright.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM

Single Rear Wheel Towing

I've never payed attention to GCWR but rather axle ratings and tire ratings

1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.

Last edited by NickKent; 09-23-2016 at 08:35 PM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:36 AM

My Photos: (2)
I would be more worried about the liability side of things versus what the truck can or can't pull. If you are operating above your GVW, Combined, or tow rating you are leaving yourself wide open for a legal battle if you are in an accident deemed to be your fault. Your insurance does not have to pay if you are operating your vehicle outside of it's ratings. The other party can sue the pants off you as well. THIS HAS HAPPENED!!

I replaced my 2016 SRW with a DRW last month. We are towing a 2016 Cardinal 3825FL. It's empty weight is right at 15K with a gross of just under 17K. I went across the scales and was busting my SRW 11.5K GVW by 450 lbs with full tank of fuel and standard occupants. I was at 11,950 lbs. The trailer weight was just over 13K at 13,220…under my 15.5K rating. However, I was busting out of my combined of 23.5K by about 1700 lbs. I spoke to my insurance company about it, USAA and was read the riot act. I towed this combo 5K miles this past summer and it seemed to do fine. We had a load of about 22K before this 5th wheel purchase. We have towed once with the DRW about 500 miles. It is night and day. It is way more stable and the 3.73's are noticeable with the smaller DRW tires size. Actually got a little better mileage with a heavier truck and more gear. Doesn't want to come out of OD at all. 70mph at about 1900 RPM all day long. You may want to try and find a clean used DRW. It will tow better and keep the liability out of your court.

2016 F350 KING RANCH DRW, 4X4, RUBY RED/CARIBOU, 3.73'S, LOADED, TUNED, ARE FLAT BED COVER, SPRAY IN LINER, 2.5" RANCHO FRONT LIFT, 3" REAR LIFT, RANCHO 9000 XL'S, 255/80/17 BFG MUD TERRAINS, EBC BRAKES, RADIO LOCKPICK, FRONT LIGHT BAR AND REAR FLUSH MOUNT LED'S.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Cobra, thanks for the input. I agree with everything you posted except the USAA comment. I've been with them since I became an army officer back in '81, and they have never expressed any concern about the weight of my trailer. I keep current scale documents,every 3-4 years, for my benefit, but have never been questioned. I also disagree with the liability comment. I agree that if an accident is attributed to an overloaded vehicle, liability will apply. But it's like the warranties on deleted trucks, it does not effect the warranty on other parts of the truck. I've been safely towing for over 40 years without incident, and hope my good fortune continues. I don't know the weight of my five, and am only speculating, but no, I will not tow in an unsafe condition.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:18 PM

I suggest you call USAA again and specifically ask them if you can operate your vehicle in an over loaded condition….and be covered for an accident that is your fault. Let them know your vehicle has a rated combined of 23.5K and you plan on operating it above that. The weight of the trailer doesn't mean a thing in and by itself. If you are exceeding the weight limits of your truck you can be held at fault and your claim can be denied. I have been with USSA as well since 1984, retired USAF pilot… and have always been treated more than fair. However, they do NOT have to pay a claim involving an accident caused by a vehicle that is being operated outside of its
limits. That's plain and simple and is in the small print of every insurance policy written. If it can be proven the vehicle is overloaded the other party can sue you as well. There are many instances of this happening. Most involve the hot shot rig pickups. You can pay for any weight rating of plates you want to…and keep your vehicle weight legal…but you can't change a weight rating from the factory unless an outfitter who is licensed to do so changes the ratings with a new sticker. Adding bags and such does not make your vehicle any more capable of carrying or towing more weight nor does it increase it's factory combined. Many states are pulling over more and more 5th wheel combo's. They know the ratings and they have portable scales. I have not been pulled over, but know some who have. They were legal. If you choose to operate your rig and trailer at over the rated 23.5K you are operating unsafely, and putting everyone else on the road at risk..whether you like it or not. I simply do not understand how one would think otherwise. Vehicles have ratings for a reason….and insurance companies protect the bottom line..even USAA.

2016 F350 KING RANCH DRW, 4X4, RUBY RED/CARIBOU, 3.73'S, LOADED, TUNED, ARE FLAT BED COVER, SPRAY IN LINER, 2.5" RANCHO FRONT LIFT, 3" REAR LIFT, RANCHO 9000 XL'S, 255/80/17 BFG MUD TERRAINS, EBC BRAKES, RADIO LOCKPICK, FRONT LIGHT BAR AND REAR FLUSH MOUNT LED'S.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Cobra, I don't see the point of your post. I don't have to call USAA or any other company. I believe that anyone with a little common sense knows that if they call their insurance company and ask them about being overloaded,.... well, the answer is obvious; I don't have to call. I stated that I have not received my five and have deleted a lot of the std equipment in my order. With that equipment, including LP and batteries, the delivered weight would have been mid-15's; without it, I''m guessing upper 14's (I'm deleting one slide). And I finished my last post by stating that I would not tow unsafe; I'll pull the rear seat in the truck, leave the spares, and strip the trailer if I have to, but I will be within the required weight.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Your first comment back to me said you didn't agree with my USAA comment. That is why I told you to call them and let them know what your plans were. A few posts above that you state you are trying to keep the weight in the lower to mid 16's…which is overloaded. The same post expressed a belief that your "performance work" would make everything ok. Upper 14's to low 15's just appeared in your last post. That is brand new information. You asked for opinions and I tried to give you another point that most people don't realize exists. The entire thread involves running over weight and making mods to a truck so it can do so safely. Unsafe did not seem to include overweight until your last post. Everything before that had a truck and trailer exceeding its 23.5K with everybody trying to rationalize how that's ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in