Single Rear Wheel Towing - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (16)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LOL; we're going in circles., but for the most part, you are correct. First, "I inferred" from you're post that USAA had asked you about your tlr wt, and then you said that you had asked them about your coverage. Not important, doesn't matter. Yes, my first posts were misleading as I was asking questions based on speculation and worst case scenario. I had no solid information, but am a planner and gather as much information as possible to prepare for a pending problem. One thing that I did not plan for or check, was the wt., my fault. I've seen hundreds of srw trucks, like mine, pulling HUGE fives, so the wt never crossed my mind. 'After' ordering, I did see the gcwr of the truck and those were my first posts, and yes, that examples would have been over gross. Although ordered last month, my five didn't hit production until this past Tuesday. Calling the mfg provided more accurate weights, but still speculation until I can get it weighed.

Also, in 40 years of towing RV's, I've never seen nor heard of an RV being pulled over to be weighed; never. I believe that would come under the protection of unlawful search; ???4th amendment??? What states are you aware of that does this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh! Let me clear up one thing before it bites me in the butt later. Unsafe. I will try to keep the gcwr below 23.5k, but if it's over 4 or 5 hundred pounds, I don't consider that unsafe. I believe my truck's capabilities, and my 40 years experience, will handle the load with no problems.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:23 PM

My Photos: (2)
I have seen with my own eyes trucks towing RV's pulled over both here in Texas and in CO. I see it in Texas every summer on 287 between Fort Worth and Amarillo. They need no reason to pull you over for a safety inspection. Probable cause is an F250 towing a 3 axle toy hauler. I've seen that setup going down the road numerous times. CA is another state I've seen RV's pulled over with scales under their tires. We put about 15K miles a year on our 5th wheel. As for being 400-500lbs overweight…I don't consider that a huge deal either. The liability is still there…but very limited and highly unlikely. I was close to 2K over after "enforcing" my we don't need that in there tactics. I have towed with several DRW's and had gone back to a SRW because they had raised the GVW's and combined ratings to very high levels. My 1999 F350 DRW had a GVW of a 11,200…less than my 2016 SRW's 11.5K. Personally, I would prefer a SRW. They are easier to live with when not towing. Nothing beats the DRW while towing a big 5th wheel. The ability to drag it around is obvious, and crosswind towing is not a white knuckle adventure on two lane roads. I wish I had bought the DRW to start with 10 months ago, but a different 5th wheel wasn't really in our plans. It wound up happening with out a lot of truck capabiltiy reasoning. After weighing it and dragging it around for 5K miles I decided to go back to the DRW. A call to USAA out of curiosity brought on by lawyer friend is what really made the change happen.

...And I will add, I have had scarier moments getting a fully loaded Galaxy off the ground with less than 500 feet of runway than I've ever had towing a 5th wheel trailer busting out of its combined.
NickKent likes this.

2016 F350 KING RANCH DRW, 4X4, RUBY RED/CARIBOU, 3.73'S, LOADED, TUNED, ARE FLAT BED COVER, SPRAY IN LINER, 2.5" RANCHO FRONT LIFT, 3" REAR LIFT, RANCHO 9000 XL'S, 255/80/17 BFG MUD TERRAINS, EBC BRAKES, RADIO LOCKPICK, FRONT LIGHT BAR AND REAR FLUSH MOUNT LED'S.

Last edited by COBRAJET; 10-07-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:23 PM

My Photos: (0)
Uh, being weighed has nothing to do with "unlawful search" nor the fourth amendment. Same as dipping tanks for farm fuel.
Depending on the state and GCWR, you are technically supposed to stop. Now will they come after you for not stopping? Usually not.
A one time over weight tow is bad enough, but something you'll be pulling more than occasionally, you need a bigger truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
NickKent likes this.

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Being stopped and weighed does happen out here. Brother in law watched CHP weigh a toy hauler at Pismo beach. He was over gross and had his trailer impounded. I am a member of an RV forum, and the subject of towing over gross comes up a lot. A couple of months ago a member reported watching CHP impound a fiver after weighing the trucks rear axle.

I'm not the "weight police" but I can tell you that it does happen out here. Will it happen in your state? I don't know, but is it worth the risk of having your vacation ruined, and knowing that you can't get the trailer back without proof of a tow vehicle rated for the trailer weight?

I am currently employed as an RV tech, and yeah customers have come in with these stories. I too see triple axle 40'+ trailers hooked onto a 3/4 ton truck. I just shake my head and walk away when they say "but I have a chip and air bags"..."I've been doing this for years"....

I've been towing fivers since '89 and yeah for a while I yanked a 12,000 pound fiver with an F250. I was overgross and thought, I'm okay I'll just leave more room, etc. times have changed, people are sue happy for the most trivial reasons, and I'm not inclined to give someone a "gimme".

I'm done, stepping off the podium.
79jasper likes this.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Well cobra, you identified my territory. I'm in south central Texas, and travel 287 to Amarillo, and then to Dumas, and Trinidad, CO, on the way to Wyoming almost every year. Some years we go west to I-10 and then north. Maybe those that have been pulled over are the HUGE fives or triple axle toy haulers being towed with srw f350's/3500's.

For the other responders, one can only do so much. At this point, I have a truck with 32k miles on it, that I have modified inside and out, and have it just the way that I want it. If I bought it today with all the work, it would retail for ~$80k. The five retails for $136k. I made a mistake and may be 4 or 5 hundred pounds overweight. So, I have 3 choices: 1. Get a new $80k truck and take a big loss on mine 2. Not use my five by parking it or selling it for a huge loss 3. Recognize that in the overall picture that ~500 pounds is really not that much to be concerned about.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:43 PM

Option three works for me. Fly low and slow…nobody will pay attention to you.

2016 F350 KING RANCH DRW, 4X4, RUBY RED/CARIBOU, 3.73'S, LOADED, TUNED, ARE FLAT BED COVER, SPRAY IN LINER, 2.5" RANCHO FRONT LIFT, 3" REAR LIFT, RANCHO 9000 XL'S, 255/80/17 BFG MUD TERRAINS, EBC BRAKES, RADIO LOCKPICK, FRONT LIGHT BAR AND REAR FLUSH MOUNT LED'S.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:44 PM

500 pounds isn't that much and in the big picture, You'll probably be just fine. Just know that it only takes 1 pound over to have it taken away from you.
I agree, triple axle on a SRW is like a giant billboard, but any large fiver going past @55-60MPH doesn't always allow the guy with a ticket book to read the fender for 350/3500.
NickKent likes this.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Guys, and especially you, cobra, thank you for all the advice/information. I've learned a lot from this thread.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Oh; my max tow speed is 65 or less for interstate hwys, and less for other roads/conditions.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 PM

If you look at the sidewalls of trailer tires, they are only rated to 65 MPH. Lots of people will put LT tires on in place of them.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Always lots of good info on here. I tow between 65-70 the majority of the time. The SRW liked the 70-75 range. I was always slowing down a little. The 3.55 gears just wanted to run a little faster. I've only towed the trailer 500-600 miles with the new DRW and it's in love with 65-70 with the 3.73's. It hardly dropped a gear going to Galveston and back from south of DFW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in