Steering Wheel Left side controls do not function - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor
  • 1 Post By larrgh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Wheel Left side controls do not function

2013 6.7, F550, Lariat, completely de-smogged. I'm in Africa (Namibia specifically) so no dealers. I must diagnose this problem myself. I'm headed back to USA soon and can get parts.

a little history: first the radio controls stopped working (no problem), then the cruise controls stopped working (annoying), NOW the Steering Wheel Left side controls do not function which is a problem. I cannot clear that I've changed the oil, or checked the coolant. I have a 63 gallon auxiliary tank and need to know how much fuel I've consumed and cannot determine that. The pop-up messages stay on top of the in-dash screen and I cannot clear them nor reset oil change/coolant check.

I've checked fuses and removed back of steering wheel and checked for disconnected/broken wires (also unplugged and plugged back in each connector)

I contacted the USA dealer who said they'd have to check (voltage?) connections to determine the problem - so no help.

I have Voltmeter and SCT-livewire to clear codes (there are none to clear relating to this)

Really need to be able to use the left side controls - any tips?

Thanks much, Bruce

If you are curious about our trip: facebook livingstonejournal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
You have multiple system faults and the common parts are the clockspring or sliding airbag contact and the steering column control module. Given your geographic location and situation I would recommend just replacing them both and keep in mind that they are screwed together behind the steering wheel. I am a dealer technician and I can tell you that diagnosing any of the syptoms can get tedious however your multi-system/symptom concern points to either of these two parts... almost always the sliding contact. I would be interested in any codes you have... network concerns can also play into your problems...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks much.

I'll get those parts next week but won't be installing until August:-)

Is the "clockspring" (sounds made up :-) ) or sliding airbag contact" the same thing?

I currently have no errors codes. but about every couple of months I get the messages below. Typically I removed the 2 large connectors on the passenger side under the hood and the 2 (related?) connectors under the dash on the Drivers side, wait 20 minutes or so, reconnect and everything works.

the in-dash screen shows the 'wrench' icon and "low oil pressure, engine overheat, and system start failure" and my sct livewire shows these codes

P0000
U0140
P06B8
P1635

Thanks, Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:53 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Clockspring and Sliding Airbag Contact are both real terms or names for the part... at least in the Ford vernacular they are. "Clockspring" is derived from the construction of the part - there are two plates each with a connector, one is stationary and the other rotates with the steering wheel. The electrical circuits are connected to each plate with a long flat ribbon harness that is freely wound between the pates allowing for movement while maintaining circuit continuity. The Sliding Contact is derivative of the "old style" of a steering wheel electrical contact where there are two contacts stationary in the steering column and there is a plate with two tracks lined with metal that slide over those contacts as the steering wheel rotates. The latter allowed for the horn switch to be mounted in the center of the steering wheel but was not good for for things like electronic switches and airbags so the clockspring was born.
larrgh likes this.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Went to dealer today. Ford calls this as you described but the parts application maybe calls the "steering column control module" the "rotation sensor" do you think that is the same thing? It is connected to the clock spring.

QUOTE=ford_doctor;4662586]Clockspring and Sliding Airbag Contact are both real terms or names for the part... at least in the Ford vernacular they are. "Clockspring" is derived from the construction of the part - there are two plates each with a connector, one is stationary and the other rotates with the steering wheel. The electrical circuits are connected to each plate with a long flat ribbon harness that is freely wound between the pates allowing for movement while maintaining circuit continuity. The Sliding Contact is derivative of the "old style" of a steering wheel electrical contact where there are two contacts stationary in the steering column and there is a plate with two tracks lined with metal that slide over those contacts as the steering wheel rotates. The latter allowed for the horn switch to be mounted in the center of the steering wheel but was not good for for things like electronic switches and airbags so the clockspring was born.[/QUOTE]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM

No, they are not the same thing.

Here is a photo that shows you what is what. The clockspring and/or rotation sensor can be replaced without replacing the SCCM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCCM.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	127458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RTS 1.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	127460  

HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in