The Diesel Stop banner

Time for New Batteries

7K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
I've had my truck 37 months and I went out yesterday and got the dreaded click click.
I kinda knew it was going to happen it had been hesitating when starting and windows were slow to role down just on battery.

Both batteries read in the low 12v range with the passenger side being lowest and when my wife tried to crank the passenger went to the low 9's and the driver to the upper 9's.

Looked around and ended up going to Costco primarily for the warranty but also the price. Interstate 850cca units. Pretty easy transaction as I had already pulled out the old ones.

Went home dropped them in and everything works better. Hopefully the Interstate batteries hold up.

#2 ·
Thanks for the information. Interesting that the batteries are connected in parrell and measuring different voltages?. Do your new batteries measure different voltages when charging? I think this could cause your batteries to fail early. My batteries are over 60 months old and I'm looking to change them before this Northern Canadian Winter.

#3 ·
How much were the Interstate at Costco? Are they green/white or black?

Were your old batteries a perfectly matched pair by brand, size and purchase date?

Corroded cables can contribute to an imbalance in battery voltages so you might want to check that but it might just be your one battery was worn out.

#4 ·
The old batteries were almost a volt apart and were the factory batteries that came with the truck. One thing of note 3 of the 4 terminals had those gasket/pads on them and the most corroded terminal was the one that did not have it.

The new batteries are about the same voltage now.

The Costco/Interstate batteries have a 3 year exchange warranty, are black and cost about $95.00.

Everywhere else I looked (including my Ford dealer) was $150.00 and higher. Costco has a great reputation as far as customer service goes so if I have an issue down the road I'm pretty confident they will take care of me.

#8 ·
The old batteries were almost a volt apart and were the factory batteries that came with the truck. One thing of note 3 of the 4 terminals had those gasket/pads on them and the most corroded terminal was the one that did not have it.
That seems strange, I don't recall ever seeing those felt washers used on a factory battery. I have been selling Interstate batteries since around 1990 and never use those washers because I feel a quality battery doesn't need them because they're sealed better around the post. Back when we sold a "cheaper" battery every battery installed got them.

#5 ·
$95 is a great price and you are right about Costco warranty/exchange.

Those felt pads really do make a difference.

Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
I have had good luck with the Interstate Batteries. Every fall I pop the caps and check fluid level, top with distilled water as needed and terminals are cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease.
DENNY

#9 ·
My vote is in favor of using the felt pads. In my opinion, they help.

Reactions: Dakar Dad
#10 ·
I used to like the Costco’s batteries, I’d get 5 plus years outta them. When they switched to interstates, I was less than excited. I have to replace the interstate megaton in our burb every three years just after the wareenty replacement expires. Only reason I kept putting interstate back in it was the prorate made the new battery cheap. The prorate changed on the warranty so I’m no longer going to get interstates. Costco has great customer satisfaction and I’m sure they will back that interstate warranty. I’ve been stranded to many times in our burb because the interstate wasn’t bad enough for a wareenty replacement before the 36 mouths. It always seemed that interstate would then replace it at 38 months or so. Costco can’t help me when the car won’t start somewhere.

So this last year when our PSD needed batteries I went with Diehard AGM gold. Our Suburbans battery is now dead again, outta wareenty and will not take a charge. I’ll install the Diehard AGM in it too.

#11 ·
I have to replace the interstate megaton in our burb every three years just after the wareenty replacement expires.
Some would call that a very well engineered battery...Lol

Where do you find Diehard AGM ?

#12 ·
I gave up on Sears DieHard batteries a long time ago. And with as fast as the Sears stores are closing I wouldn't trust them for more than a year. Anymore I'll pick some up at a local automotive store and run them until they need replacement. The plus side to that is that I don't have to find a Sears store to change them out at. There are plenty of NAPA's, AutoZones and other chain stores out there that stock the ones that I am running.

The AutoZone Durlast Golds that I have in my truck now are going on 6 years now without a hic-cup.

Reactions: larrgh
#13 · (Edited)
I have had good luck with Motorcraft batteries. And when I say luck, that's just what I believe. Know that Duralast, Interstate, Optima, Walmart brands Ever Start and Max Start, Diehard, are all made by Johnson Controls. They account for 65% of the North American market. The Motorcraft battery that came in my wife's car was 6 years old when I replaced it. She was driving 25 miles each way to work each day back then and I knew if I didn't replace it I would be getting a phone call one day. I put new Motorcrafts in my 97 F350 in 2012 and they are still going strong. My current F350 got new ones in 2017 and I expect I'll get at least 6 years out of them too. I will be surprised if I don't. YMMV

#14 ·
I have a volt meter plugged into my 2000 dually truck all the time. Every morning the Sams Club Duralast Batteries would show 12.2 volts before I turned the key. About 14 volts driving. Same batteries in my Recreational Vehicle would show the same 12.2 volts. Every similar battery at Sams showed 12.2 volts and I tested about 10 new batteries. I have read a full charged battery should be 12.7 volts. The Sams batteries were about $100 and seem to always corrode the terminal ends.

My 2015 F350 has Motorcraft batteries and they read 12.7 every morning. In addition the Motorcraft battery has 850 CCA and I believe the Sam's club batteries are 750CCA. The Motorcraft Battery is $160 at Oreillys Auto near my home and has a 3 yr free replacement and 100 months prorated.

When I evaluate the length of time the batteries are in my truck, I feel the Motorcraft is better performing and will last longer. I may be wrong, but I plan to pay the extra money and go with the highly rated Motorcraft in my trucks and Recreation Vehicle.

Reactions: badbart
#15 ·
Yes, I think that you are making the right decision. I agree with you that only 12.2 volts is too low.

#16 ·
Batteries dead in 4 Days

I went out to my truck last week and it was stone dead after sitting for a week. Charged them up and they seemed to take a charge. 4 days later they are stone dead again. These are the original batteries and three years old. Seem like last my last new truck, the batteries only lasted 3 years. 14.9 volts when running, 12.8 after charging. I hope it's the batteries and not something else! What color is the charge indicator supposed to be on the battery. Mine stay orange even after charging.

#17 ·
3 Years is an average life for truck batteries.
Fully charged batteries are typically ~13.6v immediately after charging and should be no less than 12.6v after 24 hours.

I don’t know what your color indicator is but typically its Green for Good, Yellow for Marginal, Red for Bad.

#18 ·
It might be a good idea to check for parasitic drain. My batteries just failed a few months ago and were 6 years old. Actually just one of them failed and it would pull the good one down but I always change them in pairs. I short trip the crap out of mine so I know I should be hard on batteries and didn't expect these to last as long as they did.

#19 ·
Batteries today suck. I get max of 3 years out of any battery I own. I've had them load test "good" and had alternators diagnosed by the auto parts stores. I just replace the battery as my first repair when it is electrical. Every time it ends up being the batteries. I haven't had a bad alternator in 20+ years or other sensor. Keep it simple first. Do the batteries....

Tom

#20 ·
I think it's time to replace mine too. I believe the ones in my 350 were original in 2013, so 5 years isn't too bad.
Showing 12.2 volts after sitting overnight and since I live in the NE I think it'll be better to change now rather that wait for a cold snowy day this winter.
Truck came with the snow plow prep which means I have 2 batteries to change.
Now the decision is which ones to buy.

#21 ·
Ten plus (10+) years out of my current pair of batteries. Still going strong. Starts every time.

I do use battery washers. I don't have corrosion.

Never once during the last 10+ years have I ever checked the water level in the batteries, let alone topped them up.

There are no battery caps to open anyway, which suits me just fine, as having something else yet to maintain is a pain.

No green, yellow, or red eyes to stare at either. One less reason to have to open the hood.

If I had to change batteries every 3 years, that would amount to eight (8) new battery purchases to get the same time in service that just 2 batteries bought back in late 2007 have delivered thus far. In 2 more years, it will have taken 10 battery purchases to deliver the same time in service, if my current batteries continue to perform as they have been. That's a lot of weight hoisted over the fenders. Can't say I miss that exercise one bit.

The batteries? Sears Diehard Platinum AGM. Not made by Johnson Controls either. Made by Enersys, the same company that makes batteries for military tanks, fighter jets, and submarines. And they are still available today under the Odyssey brand name, which the consumer retail division of Enersys. Look for Odyssey Extreme.

A good alternator (or pair of alternators, which is what I have), and good wiring (or redundant wiring, which is what I have) probably helps in keeping them alive and kicking after a decade in service. I'll try and remember to update this thread if another decade slips by and I'm still on this same pair of batteries.

#26 ·
Ten plus (10+) years out of my current pair of batteries. Still going strong. Starts every time.
Congratulations! I am amazed at the longevity of your batteries, however I would certainly say that you are on borrowed time. My original batteries were 6 years old & I thought that was pretty good, but I was a bit worried so I had them load tested at the dealership & also at an independent shop & both said they were due to be replaced. Both places sell batteries so who knows, but I’ve done business with the independent shop for a long time & there is a certain level of trust that they’ve earned. Have you ever had your batteries load tested? ‘Might be a good idea.

#22 ·
I had my batteries tested after I charged them and they tested good. Left my CTS smart charger on for 3 days. I tried starting after 5 days sitting and it started fine. I am hoping that my problem was a fluke and all the batteries needed was a long, slow charging cycle.

#23 ·
A couple years ago I was attempting to return a Honda battery to a Sears west of Denver. I think a Group 51.

The service tech told me it would need to go through a test to determine if it was eligible for a warranty exchange and cone back in 30 minutes.

When I returned, we walked back to the tester and the battery was behind a plexiglass window. The tech read the digital readout aloud and said the battery was testing good.

At the very same time I was looking at the battery actively smoking and the plastic casing melting at a crack which had formed on the side of the battery.

When I pointed to the battery, and after a couple cusswords, the Tech agreed that I was eligible for a replacement.

#24 ·
Just replaced both batteries in my wife's 2015 F250 diesel after 39 months on the original Motorcraft ones. Got WalMart Everstart Maxx batteries, rated at 700CCA for about $100 each, and with a 5-year warranty (3 year replacement, +2 years pro-rated). The least expensive local alternative was ~$140 each. Not too worried about winter starting down here in FL, but wished they would last a little longer.

The passenger-side battery had a lot of corrosion on the positive terminal, the driver's side battery had corrosion on the negative terminal, and the driver's side batter was very low in fluid in one of the cells, so I suspect charge imbalance led to their early demise. I tried re-filling the cell, charging them overnight (so that the truck would start), and then drove for several hours on the highway, but that did not restore them to serviceability.

#25 ·
Just replaced both batteries in my wife's 2015 F250 diesel after 39 months on the original Motorcraft ones. Got WalMart Everstart Maxx batteries, rated at 700CCA for about $100 each, and with a 5-year warranty (3 year replacement, +2 years pro-rated).
I did that with my 97 and learned a good lesson. I was driving the truck back and forth from Florida to Indiana. It did fine up until October when the temps dropped under 40 degrees. It dragged and wouldn't start one morning. I got it jumped off and went and got my money back and put Motorcraft's back in it. These trucks need 850 CCA. Eventually your starter will need to be replaced if you keep running the 700's. It doesn't sound like it's having a problem until you hear another truck with 850's start up.

#27 ·
I had been changing my batteries every three years since I got the truck, but I finally went to Odyssey Extreme, and so far, they are working great.

#28 ·
Batteries on the outside are much the same and can even have the same or similar CCA rating on the outside. Inside where it counts they can be significantly different in materials made to branding purchasers specifications, even Military specs. So, the same size battery in the same case made by the same manufacturer be quite different in cell materials based on who, what brand, ordered it and spec'd.

Whoever branded it spec'd it and has a warranty stake in it. Warranties are profit killers. You can depend on that profit motive for them to spec the longer warranty period batteries with better internal cell materials and the shorter warranty life expectancy batteries with something cheaper to them not only expected to not be long lived but break internally sooner. I buy 5 year batteries and change them every four years. My truck consistently starts up in two seconds, no long starts, original starter. Batteries are something you buy before you need to. I carry jumper cables for other people and have never used them on my truck to start in the 16 years I have had it.

#30 ·
Just a comment on the difference in the batteries voltage. Toward the end of their lives, at least on my Y2K Super-Duty the passenger side was always showing its age more. That was consistent with three sets of batteries. This time I was planning to switch the sides the batteries were on and see if they last a little longer.

#31 ·
Your experience with your Y2K model may or may not apply to the 2011 and up.

I too, have a Y2K, and found that the issue with the passenger side battery becoming depleted more than the driver's side was simply due to the resistance of the paralleling cable. I decreased that resistance by adding a second paralleling cable linking battery to battery, then adding two (fused) cables from the alternator B+ post, one directly to each battery, which when considered together, provided a third paralleling leg linking the batteries, reducing the resistance between the driver's side battery and the starter and glow plug loads.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I upgraded the ground cable connections from both batteries to the block. Hence, my batteries "wear" and charge evenly, and have lasted 10 years so far.

#33 ·
Great price.

Which Model # ?

#35 ·
All this talk about batteries. Mine gave up the ghost two days ago. 2013 with batteries being 5 1/2 years old. Went with MotorCraft 850 CCA from O'Rilley auto parts. $155 each with 3yr warranty/100 month pro-rated exchange.

A little knuckle skin given during the installation. Both inner hold down posts kept falling down into the abyss when arranging the batteries for securing.

Gary F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.