About to order my FREE truck, any suggestions? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to order my FREE truck, any suggestions?

ok, so a little deceptive I admit but not much. I entered and won a tough truck contest put on by ford commercial trucks. pretty unbelievable, I know but I get a $50K credit for a '14 F250.

basically the reason I was chosen for the top 10 is the pic and story of my '99 with over 400K miles on it.

so onto my actual question, what options from the dealer should I get that y'all love? remember I pay out of pocket for anything over $50K so here's what i'm starting with:

F350 (hope to sneak this upgrade in) 6.7, crewcab, LWB, 4x4, Lariat pkg.
my old truck is all one blue color and I've never been partial to the two tone so i'm going to get another blue one, although the new blue is lighter I still like it. i'm adding clearance lights. I think my interior choices are tan or black so tan for me.

I've put some miles on my buddys 6.7 with 3.73 gears and I think that's perfect for what I need. I pull a S250 bobcat frequently with my '99 on a gooseneck. what about the electronic locker on these? when i'm off road it isn't in terrible mud. usually very rocky in central tx.

the dealer i'm going through had a truck nearly identical to what i'm wanting, it just had a tan stripe on the bottom. I don't think i'll get the sunroof since i'm tall and it seemed a lot lower than my 99. does that save a couple of inches on the headliner?

can I order the truck without the tailgate step and pole? I hate them. sorry.

is the navigation worth it? I usually just use my iphone. I have a garmin that sticks to the windshield that I never use. I usually know where i'm going.

what else do I need? thx in advance I hope I don't sound too gloaty but i'm excited...

'99 F250 PSD 4wd CC LWB, 400+K Hard Miles!!! Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never been in the shop in it's life!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

this truck was the WINNER of the 2013 Tough Truck Challenge by Ford Commercial Vehicles Division! that's how we got the '14!

'14 F350 LWB SRW Crew Cab Lariat

'00 Excursion 7.3 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Get the most comprehensive extended warranty you can. This one isn't going to go 400,000 miles. Congrats on the win.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

you're prob right. i'm guessing I don't have to buy that up front just before the regular warranty is out? or should I just do it and get it over with?

this truck was the WINNER of the 2013 Tough Truck Challenge by Ford Commercial Vehicles Division! that's how we got the '14!

'00 Excursion 7.3 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM

other options to consider

factory spray in bedliner, 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package, camper pkg

SOLD: 2014 F350 6.7L PSD, 4x4
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

hmm I didn't realize the factory sprayed in bedliners now, guess it's better than taking it and getting it rhino lined?

I def need to be able to drop in a gooseneck ball. what does the camper pkg get me? I don't want it to ride any rougher when i'm unloaded.

'00 Excursion 7.3 2wd
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Congratulations, way to go! Now I would probably not go any deeper than 3.55 axles since the 6.7 has plenty of low end, maybe factory gooseneck setup, Lariat luxury pkg. Tailgate step is nice (when your knees go) and you can remove the "pole" and install a smooth cover over the open access opening. Get what YOU want though, don't let us talk you into or out of any options.

December, '02 build F-250 CC 4X4 Lariat 6.0/Torqshift,Toreador Red over Arizona Beige 4X4 FX4 w/ moon roof. Stull grill insert, chromed tow hooks/bed tie downs, painted door handles, King Ranch flares, '08 aluminum differential cover, Inyati bed liner, Edge 3" lift Bonspeed eight spoke wheels w/BFG AT KO 305/65R18s now gone, but greatly missed
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 PM

I personally think the B&W turnover ball is a better choice than the Ford installed Gooseneck. Look at both and decide which hitch you like better. I would get the Spray in liner done after the hitch is installed. So if you get the B&W done after you take deliver, wait on the spray in till the hitch is in.

3:55 axle is great. Get the Electronic locking.

I just turned 100,000 miles and have not used my warranty ( other than a couple minor things at 35,000 miles) They don't offer a extended warranty that will cover you for 400,000 miles. In fact most are only 125,000. Yes it's expensive to fix these trucks. But I'm still gambling on a extended warranty probably not helping me out. I've owned a 7.3L, two 6.0L and now this 6.7L and I would have lost money any extended warranty if I had purchased them.

I hate the sunroof. Good choice to slip.

I do like my navigation, I use it all the time. The in dash navigation gives you a larger screen for your back up camera. If you don't have the in-dash Nav, The back up camera displays in a small square of your mirror. I much prefer the camera in the 8" in dash screen ( at least on the 2011, Maybe the '14s are different). A few times camping or while waiting to pick up my daughters, I've dropped a DVD in and watched a movie. So it's more than just finding an address. Elevation, where am, nearest cross street etc.

I do like my tail gate step. Never use the stripper pole. But I'm in and out of my bed almost daily getting construction tools out and putting them away. I would do as suggested above, Get the step and remove the pole after you get it.

If you are not hauling a camper, Don't mess with the camper package.

I definitely prefer the Long bed with the larger fuel tank. The short bed with a 26 gallon tank would drive me crazy.

I like the captains chairs with the Center console. Lots of storage.

After market tires are cheaper in 18" wheel sizes. And most bigger tires in the 20" wheel size need a wider wheel than the 8" factory OEM wheels. So if you are going to switch out tires, skimp on the factory wheels and put the money toward the wheels you want. If you are keeping the factory wheels, I like the 20" cast aluminum wheels. Not a fan of the Chrome wheels or Chrome package.

Get the F350 Unless you are in state that penalizes you on taxes for owning a 1 ton truck.

Upfitter switches are cheap and make it nice for anything you add.

Get the Supplimental Heat to help warm up your cab on cold mornings. Unless you are in a part of Texas that just never gets cold.

Congrates and enjoy

15 F350 CC Lariat SRW LWB Ruby Red, Ultra Predator Wheels with Toyo 295/65R20, BAKflip Fibermax tonneau, Diesel Products LED lights in the rear bumper and 20" light bar in the front bumper, Firestone Airbags and Airllift Wireless compressor.
11 F350 CC Lariat SRW LWB Tuxedo Black Sold at 145,000 milesl
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:07 PM

When you get to my age you'll love the tailgate step!!! Okla. charges more excise tax on 20" wheels. B&W companion hitch is great!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 PM

My Photos: (5)
A guy on here took a picture of one at 500,000 miles.

Floor mat upgrade is a waste, so is the garage door opener. I like the nav.
bed liner is great, factory hitches are very nice. the fx4 and interior upgrade for the lariat is good also. I don't like the chrome package, too much of a good thing and it's expensive.
upfitter switches and posi or locking rear axle.

oh, the gooseneck hitch is massive under the bed. inside the bed it's flat. I LOVE it.

2003 Excursion 4x4 Limited, 6.0 PSD
2014 F-350CC Lariat, DRW.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

wow, great info everyone. I never even considered not getting the 3.73 since I've towed with it so long. i'll prob be changing to a 35" tire and pull frequently. are y'all SURE i'd be fine with 3.55? I have 3.73's on my '99 with 35's and it sucks to get the load rolling. does 3.55's work well with 6.7's to get heavy loads rolling? are the empty mpg's much different with 3.55's than 3.73's?

i'll prob go with factory g/n hitch since I won't have to screw with it and my buddy's '11 seems to work fine for me.

I didn't realize getting the nav made that many changes, i'll def be getting it! thanks so much.

if I can take the pole out then I can prob live with the step since it's recessed in nicely.

a short bed is out of the question for me, i'd get a gas truck before I could live with a short bed, and I cant have a gas truck!

'00 Excursion 7.3 2wd
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

what is the lariat luxury package? is that different from a regular lariat? everybody down here has the king ranch. I just really don't need the brown leather and badges. for me not worth the $ and it's not going to be a show truck. hell my '99 is cloth so having heated and a/c seats is like getting mistresses to fan me with a palm leaf and feed me grapes!

'00 Excursion 7.3 2wd
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 PM

My Photos: (10)
3.55 gear will be plenty, these 6.7s with the 6 speed transmission have plenty of torque to get just about any load rolling. I think in 2012 when I got mine the only gear options were 3.55 & 3.31 unless you got a dual wheel truck and then you could get the 3.73 and that was as low as you could get unless you wanted a heavier truck than a F350. And get the e-locker.

Electronic shift on the fly for the 4X4.

I'm with Painted Horse on the B&W. It's way more convenient to be able to flip the ball for a flat floor than to have to store it somewhere. After the hitch go with the Line-X, I think the majority of the opinions on here favor it over the other aftermarket spray-ins.

I don't know about the KR leather but I didn't care for the way the Lariat leather wore out in my F150. I prefer cloth but that's just me.

If you have any cold weather the rapid heat is a great option and it's cheap. Definitely worth the money.

Powerscope mirrors are a must if you tow plus it gives you the option to power fold them in for close parking and drive thrus.

Factory remote start. Another inexpensive option that's worth the money.

Factory fog lights. I think they are standard with some trim packages but are an add on for others. It might require a certain trim level before it's available.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

3.55 it is then.

can we get these without ESOF? i always wished i just had the lever on my '99, i always have to get out and lock hubs anyway. just never has worked right.

we have remote start on our excursion, can't wait to get it on my truck!

'00 Excursion 7.3 2wd
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 PM

My Photos: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue View Post
can we get these without ESOF? i always wished i just had the lever on my '99, i always have to get out and lock hubs anyway. just never has worked right.
Yes you can depending on the trim level. I think anything above an XLT will have ESOF.

It looks like operator commanded regeneration is available on the XL and XLT also. Knowing what I know now I would have ordered that when I bought mine.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
Yes you can depending on the trim level. I think anything above an XLT will have ESOF.

It looks like operator commanded regeneration is available on the XL and XLT also. Knowing what I know now I would have ordered that when I bought mine.
Congratulations. On winning your new F-350. I was just building a F350 4X4 XLT LWB. As was posted there is the Command regeneration option available with the XLT. If you get the Camper option you do get sway bars and heavy duty shocks. I picked the Upfitter switches also includes the 200 amp alternator.
Enjoy your new F350
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in