Are the led's really worth it? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Driving Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are the led's really worth it?

Can they possibly be worth the roughly $1000 they are asking for them??

Not a big fan of some of the Ultimate package options, and trying to decide if i should just piece meal the options I want and those LED's are a major expense by themselves.

thanks

2011 F350 Same as the 2009

2009 F350 Lariat stock and will stay that way, Royal red with arizona beige, Xtang toolbox cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:19 AM

you read on the forums where many people are installing the LED lights....personally....i would go with the LED's....they will last longer than a regular bulb....and brighter in most cases.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:19 AM

My Photos: (23)
Garage
If you want LEDS go with the Ford-designed ones.

That way you will, at the very least, avoid all of the Electromagnetic Interference problems that folks have complained about after retrofitting their trucks with after-market LED lights...
  • Radio noise
  • TPMS faults
  • Turn signals don't work.
  • strange operation of other lighting systems.

Besides, if you replaced all of your incandescent lights with (non-Chinese) LED fixtures, you could very quickly spend more than $1K and have no guarantee that they would all work problem-free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

I have no interest in doing the aftermarket led's,

I guess i should have been more clear.

What are the advantages of LED's over the other lights? Am I going to say i can't believe i didn't have these before, or is it not that big of a difference. I have never had any problem seeing what i need to see with the lights on my 2013 super duty. Are they worth the coin?? Safety is certainly something you cannot put a price tag on, but i guess they kinda are lol.

2009 F350 Lariat stock and will stay that way, Royal red with arizona beige, Xtang toolbox cover
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allis4ever View Post
What are the advantages of LED's over the other lights? Am I going to say i can't believe i didn't have these before, or is it not that big of a difference.
I am assuming that you are referring to the headlights or do you mean all of the other lights? I replaced all of the lights on my 2015 with LED except for the headlights. The difference is massive, they are brighter in every way possible and the light is white, not yellowish additional perks are they last longer, run cooler, and do not use as much electricity. I had a 2010 F-150 that had terrible headlights, and I see my 2015 uses the exact same lights which are equally as bad.

I will be upgrading my headlights to BFC LEDs soon. I am glad that I swapped out everything for LED, but of course, YMMV. If I had waited for the 2017 SD, I would definitely have bought one with LEDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Ok, maybe i am still missing something, are they all just looks, cause i cannot remember the last time i replaced a bulb on a truck anywhere. I understand they look cool, but will they make visibility that much better, safer???? Just cannot see where $1000 plus dollars is worth it, i have to be missing something LOL. Much rather spend that money on the cameras, or blind spot or ?????

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 04:15 PM

Personally, I think the LED's are a mixed bag. I do not have them on my F250, but I do have them on my Lexus. I find that, yes, they are bright, white, and evenly fill the road ahead of you. However, they, like HIDs, have a sharp cutoff to prevent excessive glare to oncoming drivers. This cutoff results in great visibility in short or medium range, but darkness far ahead. Halogens, which do not have the cutoff, have a short or medium range not as near as bright as LEDs or HIDs, but do throw some light farther ahead, without that distracting dark region far ahead.

Driving with LEDs, I find myself switching from low to high beams more frequently. A common occurrence is driving down into a big dip or wash. On low beams, the up-grade on the other side is dark, whereas with halogens it is clearly illuminated. I have to turn on the high beams to see the other side. Disconcerting if that climb is only 100 or so feet ahead. The LEDs have pretty good range if you are on level ground, but in terrain they can be problematic.

2010 Ford F250 6.4L PSD Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2010 Airstream 27FB
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 04:35 PM

I can't speak for the Fords but my daughter has a Prius with the LED headlights. Very clear and light the road very well. Good side to side as well as 'down the road' but, as sdm300 states, there is a very definite cut-off. Now, that said, the Prius with the LED headlights did get the highest rating for headlight down range visibility testing. As I mentioned I've not had the opportunity to drive one of the Fords with the LED headlights but if I had the opportunity I'd definitely go with something other than the lights that we currently have. Either Hids, heck, LEDs, even focused beams, -- anything should be better than what we have now!! Of course, just my opinion as a person with aging eyes .

2017 F450 DRW 4X4 Platinum - Pearl While - what can I say, just can't stop trading up.
2015 F450 DRW 4X4 King Ranch - way more than I need but couldn't pass up the deal
2012 F350 DRW 4X4
2011 F350 DRW 4X2 (discovered I really used the 4-wheel drive more than I remembered.)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 04:49 PM

I like the light from HIDs better than the light from LEDs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 11:07 PM

Good LEDs avoid a problem inherent in incandescent or halogen bulbs with haloing, first of all. With incandescents, this is a series of rings at varying distances that are more brightly lit, with darker areas in between. You don't notice it just looking out your windshield, but it limits your visibility.

Yes, LEDs have a sharp cutoff, which is actually caused by the semiconductor bar used to make the diode itself. A lens can diffuse or spread the light, but it takes away some of the inherent benefits of LEDs. Some LEDs are mounted with barn doors that limit side visibility or distance, but that's mostly aftermarket LEDs where the manufacturer doesn't know just how the LED is going to be positioned; a factory LED will be tuned better and be a better emitter.

The light is precisely tunable. You can have a cool white or a blue white, depending on the LEDs you get. Ford uses an ice white that doesn't hurt the eyes of oncoming drivers as much as a blue white, but has high penetration.

Bulb life has gotten much better, and replacements are inexpensive, but you should really never have to replace an LED. The costs are plummeting as well. An LED doesn't cost any more to make, now that they're being made in huge volumes, than a light bulb does. As soon as market pricing drives them down to competitive prices, it won't even be a question, and a second-hand buyer in four or five years will want to see LEDs in any truck they buy.

An advantage of LEDs is the much lower current draw. Ever left your lights on while you sat somewhere for an hour, and then had a dead battery? Doesn't happen with LEDs. You can have surrounding LEDs, LEDs in your truck bed, under-dash and floor space LEDs, and LED headlights and roof lights, and still have to try really hard to kill your battery.

Paying for them now is still a premium compared to prices in a few years, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them right now in a new truck. Once you've driven with them, you never want to go back.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 AM

I finally decided to trade-in the old 6.0 and am ordering a 2017. Wanted the LED's and groaned about putting out $1k for them, but then learned that you apparently must purchase the "Lariat Ultimate Package" to even be able to order them, and I only wanted the Lariat Value Package, so all differences considered my LED's would cost me over 3K in the end ... which is not going to happen. I'm disappointed in Ford that you have to pay to play (sorry to sound political) but it doesn't seem like we should have to buy a package to then buy an option ... though I guess it's just another step from forcing a trim level to then buy a package ... but still ... they're lights ... and so I'll be sticking with Halogens unless Ford changes their ordering logic soon.
T diesel likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 White/Beige King Ranch DRW, CC, 4x4, Torqshift, Moonroof, Reese Signature Fiver Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in