Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   '11-16 Gas Engines (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f154/)
-   -   6.2L mpg ? (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f154/6-2l-mpg-256914/)

385HP 09-18-2010 05:16 AM

I live in the mountains 2000-3000 feet, when I travel down a mountain my mileage computer records a higher gas mileage, but when I travel up a mountain its a lower gas mileage, but the advantage is I have the reserve power to haul or tow loads up a steep mountain road.
You don't need the Super Duty with the 6.2 engine if you're not plannning on using it for towing or hauling heavy loads, you're better off with a 1/2 tuck with a smaller engine.
My 2011 Super Duty serves my perpose, hauling and towing heavy loads up and down long mountain roads, high ground clearance with a solid front axle and the heavy weight of the truck for going thru snow drifts and un-plowed roads in the winter, and driving in and out of my 60 foot driveway when its snowed in.
It costs me more to own this truck, lower gas mileage, but its worth it to me cause I expect more from my truck.

Front Runner 09-18-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 385HP (Post 1951528)
You don't need the Super Duty with the 6.2 engine if you're not plannning on using it for towing or hauling heavy loads, you're better off with a 1/2 tuck with a smaller engine.
It costs me more to own this truck, lower gas mileage, but its worth it to me cause I expect more from my truck.

These new 6.2's are getting great mileage considering their applications are large, heavy, super duty trucks. 1/2 ton trucks with 4.6, 5.4's, 5.7's, 5.3's, or 6.0's (all makes) are getting the same if not worse gas mileage than the 6.2 and in some cases the truck is smaller. A couple of years ago I owned a 01 F150 Harley Davidson CC sb truck with a 5.4 engine which did not have a supercharger. I averaged 10-12 mpg with the truck with a mixture of city and hwy driving. I had a 25 gallon tank and the best I could get out of a tank of gas was 260-270 miles.

MonteCarlo31 09-18-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 385HP (Post 1951528)
I live in the mountains 2000-3000 feet, when I travel down a mountain my mileage computer records a higher gas mileage, but when I travel up a mountain its a lower gas mileage, but the advantage is I have the reserve power to haul or tow loads up a steep mountain road.
My 2011 Super Duty serves my perpose, hauling and towing heavy loads up and down long mountain roads, high ground clearance with a solid front axle and the heavy weight of the truck for going thru snow drifts and un-plowed roads in the winter, and driving in and out of my 60 foot driveway when its snowed in.

:read:

Front Runner 09-18-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31 (Post 1951420)
Thanks, I'm very interested to see what you'll get on the highway. 90% of my driving is the highway, 3% is probably back roads and 7% is off road / 4 wheel drive.

I'm guessing that with a nice bed cover (to keep equipment safe and dry) I should get 14-15 when I switch to the BF Goodrich ATs.

MC31,

I arrived to my destination in SC a couple of hours ago. My hand calculated mileage was 16 mpgs! I had the cruise set at 75 mph and the only time I slowed was due to heavy traffic. I was not towing but was hauling about 500 pounds of stuff and the family. My total trip distance was 211.5 miles, and it took 13.2 gallons to top it back off.

Going_Going_Gone 09-18-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Runner (Post 1951739)
MC31,

I arrived to my destination in SC a couple of hours ago. My hand calculated mileage was 16 mpgs! I had the cruise set at 75 mph and the only time I slowed was due to heavy traffic. I was not towing but was hauling about 500 pounds of stuff and the family. My total trip distance was 211.5 miles, and it took 13.2 gallons to top it back off.

I don't get much better mileage in my F-150 with 5.4....driving empty with no passengers

tdinut 09-18-2010 08:33 PM

HI Front Runner, Nix, 385HP and everyone...

Thank you very much for all your updates and info. I really appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to share all your experiences. It makes me feel more comfortable choosing a Ford. Even though I would love to have a diesel again, I just can't justify it (yet).

I can not wait to see the new F150 with the 6.2 vs the 250/350 SD's. When all the dust settles with new 150's, I can't wait to make a decision and place an order.

Joe

MonteCarlo31 09-18-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

MC31,

That's not bad fuel economy at all. I'd say if you were willing to run just 70 you would be in the 17 to 18 mpg range, maybe 19 to 21 if you were willing to run 3.73s as opposed to the 4.30s.

Thanks for the update.

Front Runner 09-19-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31 (Post 1951874)
That's not bad fuel economy at all. I'd say if you were willing to run just 70 you would be in the 17 to 18 mpg range, maybe 19 to 21 if you were willing to run 3.73s as opposed to the 4.30s.

Thanks for the update.

I agree, and am pretty happy with it. I never got that type of mileage with my 6.4. It's also a plus that gas is 30-35 cent cheaper per gallon in my area. I would expect my mileage to be better if I had run 65-70 mph but I wanted to drive at normal traffic speeds. I passed a 2011 6.7 on my way that appeared to going about 65 mph. I'm pretty sure he was getting great mileage (probably better than mine) but within 5 minutes I didnt see him anymore and never saw him again. I was still passing quite a few cars but was getting passed by the speed demons. :wink2::jester:.

By the way I have 3.73's.

MonteCarlo31 09-19-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Runner (Post 1951951)
I agree, and am pretty happy with it. I never got that type of mileage with my 6.4. It's also a plus that gas is 30-35 cent cheaper per gallon in my area. I would expect my mileage to be better if I had run 65-70 mph but I wanted to drive at normal traffic speeds. I passed a 2011 6.7 on my way that appeared to going about 65 mph. I'm pretty sure he was getting great mileage (probably better than mine) but within 5 minutes I didnt see him anymore and never saw him again. I was still passing quite a few cars but was getting passed by the speed demons. :wink2::jester:.

By the way I have 3.73's.

Yep...he probably was trying to break even on operating costs compared to a gasser so he was going 65 vs your 75 and speaking of speed demons I got dinged for a 85 in 70 last night....woopppsss...

Nix Besser 09-19-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

MC31,

That's real good news. Just a quick update, I refueled this morning, had a another 14+ mpg tankful (14.5), my normal driving week or so. Hey, I knew this thing was no econo-box when it came to the fuel department, that's not why I bought it, but for what a real machine this is and how I use it I am really happy with 14 mpg's. This thing is a real truck, not some F-150 poser box. As a side note, I did consider the F-150 before I ordered the SD, am soooooo glad I went with the Super Duty.

I'm just saying. :thumbsup:

Nix Besser

Front Runner 09-19-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nix Besser (Post 1951969)
That's real good news. Just a quick update, I refueled this morning, had a another 14+ mpg tankful (14.5), my normal driving week or so. Hey, I knew this thing was no econo-box when it came to the fuel department, that's not why I bought it, but for what a real machine this is and how I use it I am really happy with 14 mpg's. This thing is a real truck, not some F-150 poser box. As a side note, I did consider the F-150 before I ordered the SD, am soooooo glad I went with the Super Duty.

I'm just saying. :thumbsup:

Nix Besser

Nix,

I would have to respectfully disagree with you buddy about the 6.2 super duty not being an econo-box, I purchased it b/c the saleman told me I could get 35 mpg's!!!! What??? Are you telling me he was lying??? Well, that sorry S#*&bird...... I should've known not to trust him!!!! :jester:

Seriously, as large as our super duty's are and with an engine the size of the 6.2, I think we are getting great fuel mileage. My co-worker has a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 vortec and he tells me that 10-11 mpg max is all he can get.
I havent seen a V10 yet that can get 16 mpg in any driving condition. My best all highway hand calculated tank with my old V10 Excursion driving 65-70 mph yielded me 12.3 mpg, and I also had 3.73 gears. So as far as super duty gas engines, I think the 6.2 is definitely a home run in the mpg department! :thumbsup:

Sloo 09-19-2010 09:24 PM

I have 11K miles on my 6.3 with 3:73 gears. I do 75-80% interstate driving at 70-75mph. I have averaged 15.0 miles per gallon for the last 7-8K miles.

385HP 09-20-2010 04:32 AM

I believe you guys are making a mistake of compairing the 6.2 engine with the 5.4 engine.
The 6.2 engine is a totally new design that was inspired by racing engine designs, the 5.4 engine cannot be modified to increase its power due to its engine design.
The 6.2 engine uses variable valve timing, roller rockers, valves arrainged in a TRUE HEMI form, high compression ratio of 9.8:1.
I have Dodge owners that laugh and make fun of my 6.2 engine, but they are compairing it to the same old fashioned engine design simular to their 5.7 hemi and 5.4 Ford, but these Dodge owners don't understand the engine design of the 6.2, its a true high perfomance engine, but its designed and geared for increased torque and pulling power, the 6 speed transmission restricts it from fast acceleration drag racing starts, just because the Dodge trucks have the chrome "Hemi" decal they still think they are the king of the road in engine perfomance on their heavy duty trucks.
Us Ford 6.2 engine owners just keep quiet and we don't brag, but I will have a smile on my face when hauling or towing a heavy load up a mountain road passing up an unloaded Dodge Hemi.
These Dodge guys feel threatened by the 6.2 engine, but they keep reassuring themselves they still have 10 more HP and they are still king of the road!

DBlack1 09-20-2010 03:40 PM

Any of you guys towed over 12k yet? I purchased a 10 model 250 with a 6.4, but I looked long and hard at getting a 6.2. If the prices continue to climb on these trucks I'll probably go gas on the next one.

I took 1000k mile trip in my 6.4 this past weekend and total trip average was 15.1. Mix of interstate and 65mph highway. I never drove much below 75mph though. Just hit 2k miles on the odometer coming home.

385HP 09-25-2010 04:33 AM

My 2011 Super Duty has a 40 gallon tank, its tough spending $80 to fill it up at the gas station and everybody waiting in line behind you waiting longer for me to fill up, plus I can get 20% off at the local food store by buying gas at their gas stations.
My 2011 Super Duty saves me money on food