Check 4x4 Light....LONG POST - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Check 4x4 Light....LONG POST

Here is description of the actual 3 events. I have posted this over at Ford Truck Enthusiasts already, here is the thread. I will post just the issues here first.

1.)
Cold morning, 5-8 degrees IIRC, haven't driven truck for 3 days prior. Let truck idle and warm up for 15 mins or so. Moved selector to 4x4 high, light on dash shows "check 4x4" and the wrench symbol. Cycled back to 2wd, then to 4x4 again, same thing. Put in drive and babied it out of the driveway onto the road. Tried engaging again,while rolling, no luck. Drove to destination, shut off vehicle, came back out and started it up. This time, it worked on the first try.

2.)
About a week later, driving to town, saw a guy in the ditch(very snowy and icy) so I stopped and pulled him out. Went into 4x4 Low, just fine, pulled him out no slippage or struggle. Went to put back into 4x4 HI and it sounded like gears grinding VERY loud, and would not engage. The Check 4x4 light displayed. Put it back into 4x4 Low, drove 5 feet, then back into 4x4 HI, and it worked just fine.

3.)
About another week or two later(this past Thursday), it was working fine while driving, and I had been in and out of 4x4 HI 2-3 times throughout the drive. We were on our way back home from our destination, and tried engaging it again, and it wouldn't go into 4x4 HI yet again. This time, we heard the same VERY loud grinding sound, and said the heck with it, time for a trip to the dealer.

SO, last Friday, I called the dealer and set up an appointment for Monday(this morning) as I had the day off to take the wife to the doctor anyway. I just got off the phone with the service department 30 mins ago, and I was not impressed. Here is what the woman said...

"To be honest with you, the technician thought you didn't know how to engage it properly, so he took it out to the snowy area of the parking lot and was playing with it. He walked back in here 5 minutes later and said that he needed someone to tow him back in, the truck stalled and wouldn't start back up."

So I asked if I could get a loaner truck for the time this one was going to be down. She said, "well, the tech is calling ford now, so give me an hour and I'll call you back"

So, tell me this, how in the heck do you manage to get the truck to not start just by engaging or disengaging 4x4!!!!!????? I was not happy to say the least.

Then I got an update:

The story now, is that the tech had the truck in the middle of the shop, trying to program the PCM with an update, and THEIR computer crashed while doing it. Now, this obviously toasted the PCM, but the tech doesn't understand that yet. On top of that, they still have no clue why it stalled and won't start to begin with. So, they are waiting on a call back from Ford, and I won't hear anything until tomorrow. I asked for a loaner, they offered me a Sonata...I declined, it wouldn't even make it up my road. Her response was, "what, do you live in the sticks or something?" I said yes...

Please look at the link for the thread above for the rest of the story. Does anyone have idea what else it could be wrong with this?

2011 F250 R/C Long Bed 4x4 6.2L Tuxedo-Black, Husky Mud Flaps, Dual Mode Reverse/Auxiliary Flood Lights, Air Horn, 35" Mudders
Custom Side Exit Dual Exhaust
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuned by *****5 Star Tuning*****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

My Photos: (11)
I read the post on Ford Truck Enthusiasts. Interesting stuff.

I had my 4x4 not work once and got the check 4x4 light. I'm 100% sure this is because I had just went through the automatic car wash in below freezing temps and something underneath the truck must have froze up. So, I'm wondering if somehow the underside of your truck got wet and then froze up? Just a guess.

Al Bedford, P.E.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

If that is the case, that it was from something being frozen....talk about poor engineering. The truck is made to endure severe winter conditions, and it hasn't even been put through a good hard storm yet. I am confident however, that it is not the case, as it has been in identical conditions on multiple occasions, and worked one time but not the other. I will update more as I use it, and we will keep our fingers crossed.

2011 F250 R/C Long Bed 4x4 6.2L Tuxedo-Black, Husky Mud Flaps, Dual Mode Reverse/Auxiliary Flood Lights, Air Horn, 35" Mudders

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 PM

I had the "service 4x4" and wrench symbol come up when trying to engage 4x4 hi once. It only happened the one time...So, you are not alone.

Olli
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM

This morning it was -10F and 4x4 would not engage. Tried multiple times and then went out and manually turned the hubs and it starter working. Not sure if turning the hubs did it or just turning the knob back and forth a bunch of times. Worked fine the rest of the day
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

^^^ At first I had hoped it was the hubs, but they made no difference when I locked mine manually when it wasn't working. Also, I was told that the hubs do not actually have any feedback to the PCM to tell it whether or not the 4x4 engaged...who knows.

As for the issue, I have only driven the truck a few times since getting it back, and it hasn't acted up yet, but then it would go a week at a time without acting up, so I'm still not convinced.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Mines done the same thing since day one, usually once a week and always goes away if i go back to 2wd and cycle the power. Actually did it the first day I bought the pickup. For me it seems to happen most in the morning when its real cold after I've had to drive through snow the night before. I'm about 90 miles from the dealer so its not easy to bring it in when its acting up. It also makes a nasty clunking noise sometimes when it engages my plan is to drive it tell something really breaks then it should be easier for them to fix . Keep us posted if you figure anything out.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:09 PM

I have the same issues. Only when it's cold outside. They also fried my pcm twice now.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey guys,

I know this is a bit of an old post but I wanted to check in a find out if you are still having concerns. If so, I would like to reach out and offer to help. So I can assist and escalate this, please send me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name in a private message.

Cory

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey guys,

I know this is a bit of an old post but I wanted to check in a find out if you are still having concerns. If so, I would like to reach out and offer to help. So I can assist and escalate this, please send me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name in a private message.

Cory
Now that spring is around the corner. I haven't had any more problems. I'll have to wait till winter comes back
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey guys,

Cory
Cory,

I just sent you a PM. I had a similar experience in the snow this morning in 22 degree weather with my check 4X4 warning and wrench showing up on the dash after about 2 minutes of operating in 4X4 High. I was unable after multiple attempts to get back into 4X4.

Damon
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_ID View Post
Cory,

I just sent you a PM. I had a similar experience in the snow this morning in 22 degree weather with my check 4X4 warning and wrench showing up on the dash after about 2 minutes of operating in 4X4 High. I was unable after multiple attempts to get back into 4X4.

Damon
Hi Damon,

I've responded to your PM. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

How far are you from Pittsburgh?

2011 F250 6.7, 6" Pro Comp lift, 37x13.50 on KMC Misfit's, Rhino liner
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM

TD7667: I'm in Colorado, so nowhere near Pittsburgh. Why do you ask?

I took the truck in for repair and it turns out it was a fractured vacuum hose which was replaced. Since it is too early for dry rot on a 2011 truck, it must either have been manufacter defect or unlucky rock hiting the hose.

Seems to work fine now.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_ID View Post
I took the truck in for repair and it turns out it was a fractured vacuum hose which was replaced. Since it is too early for dry rot on a 2011 truck, it must either have been manufacter defect or unlucky rock hiting the hose.

Seems to work fine now.
I wonder in your case if manually locking the hubs would've band-aid'ed the situation for you.

I had the check 4x4 last winter, turns out an $18 solenoid had failed, rendering the system useless. Manually locking the hubs did not help with my scenario, details below. Haven't had an issue since.

Customer states the check 4x4 light comes on when engaged

Misc replace valve assembly 81005 W94
Part # 6L3Z-9E441-A

Cause: Electronic 4x4 diagnostic P1867, C1010:13. Clear DTC and engauge/disengauge 4x4 5 times per SSM 21807. Code did not reoccur. Perform pinpoint test K for C1010:13. K1-Y, K19-Y, K20-Y, K21-N. Replace CVH solenoid. Retest. Pass.

2011 F350 Sterling Gray 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, JL HD900/5, JL C5-570's, JL 13TW5, Spl2k box, LC6i converter, Amp steps, Ford Sync Lockpick, Rancho 9000's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, leveled w/ 35" Toyo's, 5 Star tuned

Sold - 2000 F250 V10, sc, lb, 6.5in Pro Comp lift, Bilstein 5100's, 37in Toyo M/T's, 17in MT Classic II's, K&N FIPK, 3.5in B&B exhaust, Randy Ellis light bar, 4 - 8in KC 800 Series lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in