Would you buy the gasser again? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Stilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thomaston, ME
Posts: 153
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you buy the gasser again?

I really have no need for a diesel but I do really like the Super Duty trucks. So as the title states if something happened to your truck today would you buy another 6.2 liter powered Super Duty.

Thanks
John

2017, F-250, 6.2, 4X4, FX4, CC, Lariat
Previous Super Duty's
2015, F-350, SRW, 6.2, 4X4, FX4, CC, King Ranch

2012, F-350, SRW, 6.7, 4X4, FX4, SC, Lariat
2008, F-350, SRW, 6.4, 4X4, CC, King Ranch
2008, F-250, 5.4, 4X4, SC, Lariat
2003, F-350, SRW, 7.3, 4X4, FX4, CC, Lariat
Stilly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm trading my 2011 6.2 for a brandy new 6.7. Its suppose to come in on tuesday. The power just isn't there, at least that I want. I hadnt driven a 6.7 prior to buying my gasser..after using them at work I kicked myself for not jumping to the diesel orginally. Plus I wanted the better ride quality with a full four door..the 11' extended cab is horrible for these CT highways.
dvfc is offline  
post #3 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Member
 
dirtytires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Phoenix,Az
Posts: 85
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In a word....no. I could get by with a gasser but as long as I can afford the 8k upcharge for the engine, I will always opt for the diesel.

Part of it is the power and reliability but its still kinda cool knowing you have a big truck. People just look at you different when you start up a diesel in a parking lot.

Just a guy with a truck and a wrench.
dirtytires is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Sloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 180
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
YES. I am at 95K miles on my 2011 6.2 and only tow light weight occasionally. Probably could have gotten an F-150 but the seats are to small and liked the style of the F250 much better. I am not like many other posters and don't need a 6.7 for my ego. If you don't need it, save your $8000 or spend it on your family. Get the 6.2 - 95% of people can't tell the difference anyway.
mjstef likes this.
Sloo is offline  
post #5 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 45
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I went from a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 diesel to a 2013 F350 6.2. I like many other previous diesel owners really don't need the diesel engine and the 6.4 just was not made to be a daily driver around town. Always had issues with the regen process.
However, I do miss the power of the diesel and will trade the gasser for diesel on my next truck in a few years when I retire. Plan to be pulling a fiver or hauling a truck camper.
Judithgap is offline  
post #6 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Running Springs, CA
Posts: 314
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a '99 6.8 V10 and it was a good engine and truck. Very inexpensive to maintain. I traded for the 6.4 because I needed a DRW and diesel. I love the 6.4. But if and when I no longer need a DRW and diesel, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to a gasser. But if you are pulling anything, get the diesel. Don't use the diesel for a daily driver. The diesel's love to work hard.

'08 F350 Lariat CC 6.4 DRW 4.10 4x4 manual hubs and 62 gal fuel tank.
rskeans is offline  
post #7 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,084
My Photos: (9)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I had a '99 6.8 V10 and it was a good engine and truck. Very inexpensive to maintain. I traded for the 6.4 because I needed a DRW and diesel. I love the 6.4. But if and when I no longer need a DRW and diesel, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to a gasser. But if you are pulling anything, get the diesel. Don't use the diesel for a daily driver. The diesel's love to work hard.
So are you saying that I need two different trucks? One to pull my 10k travel trailer and one for daily driving? Ive logged close to a million miles of daily driving since 1999, with diesels. No complaints here. I currently run a 2010 6.4L, and while 16-17mpg is my daily average, the only complaint is running regenerations all the way through each time. Although I have tried to make the numbers lie, its hard to justify another car payment on a gas miser for daily driving, it doesnt make economical sense. Some of us who chose to haul, are faced with one vehicle for all transportation.

I'm looking at moving to the 6.2L gasser, but although I test drove one Friday and really liked it, I'm not sure it will move my 10k flying brick without sweating. For $8k I could eat alot of crow in front of the diesel crowd, but until I can sneak one home and pull my trailer, I could not commit. The 14mpgs would be a killer with the 6.2L for daily driving -especially with getting better now with my 6.4L, and attaining better yet with the new 6.7L.
Smokewagun is offline  
post #8 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 28
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In a second.
It really comes down to what you tow, and how much disposable income that you have. I tow a small boat and a small camper. Realistically, I could have gotten by with an F150. But I value the interior space of a Super Duty as much as the towing capacity. The 6.2 is getting the job done for me. The 4.30 gear set helps.
I plunked down 50K for a loaded '13. I just couldn't reason the extra 8K for what I use the rig for. And I'm not worried about resale value either, as I plan to keep this rig for 10+ yrs.

G-Dub

Last edited by bryyce62; 07-15-2013 at 11:14 AM.
bryyce62 is offline  
post #9 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 15
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
I really have no need for a diesel but I do really like the Super Duty trucks. So as the title states if something happened to your truck today would you buy another 6.2 liter powered Super Duty.

Thanks
John
Yes. I haul a heavy (Arctic Fox 1150 5,000 lb+ when loaded) truck camper. In the crew cab the diesel can't haul it, not enough payload capacity. With the 6.2 I am under the GVWR, the suspension and tires handle it fine, and I have plenty of power.

If I went diesel I would have had to spend $8,000 on the motor and who knows how much on airbags and what not just to get the ride. Even then no way would I be "legal" as the payload capacity is to low.

Haul heavy, get a gas engine.




Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Brholt is offline  
post #10 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Stilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thomaston, ME
Posts: 153
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you for all the replies. I think I will go with the gasser. Had three diesels previously but a 17 ft Boston Whaler is not enough weight to add 8K to the price tag.

2017, F-250, 6.2, 4X4, FX4, CC, Lariat
Previous Super Duty's
2015, F-350, SRW, 6.2, 4X4, FX4, CC, King Ranch

2012, F-350, SRW, 6.7, 4X4, FX4, SC, Lariat
2008, F-350, SRW, 6.4, 4X4, CC, King Ranch
2008, F-250, 5.4, 4X4, SC, Lariat
2003, F-350, SRW, 7.3, 4X4, FX4, CC, Lariat
Stilly is offline  
post #11 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't think I'll ever buy another gasser SUV or truck. Such a nightmare gas mileage wise. I'm trying to figure out how I lost about 5 mpgs over the course of a year, and it seems like something like that always happens with my gasoline powered large vehicle. My cars have been awesome, so who knows.
Excursionator is offline  
post #12 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 87
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryyce62 View Post
In a second.
It really comes down to what you tow, and how much disposable income that you have. I tow a small boat and a small camper. Realistically, I could have gotten by with an F150. But I value the interior space of a Super Duty as much as the towing capacity. The 6.2 is getting the job done for me. The 4.30 gear set helps.
I plunked down 50K for a loaded '13. I just couldn't reason the extra 8K for what I use the rig for. And I'm not worried about resale value either, as I plan to keep this rig for 10+ yrs.
Alot depends on what deal you can get from your dealer, I paid 47k for my 2011 6.7 20" wheels, chrome pkg, cc 4x4 lariat with leather, nav, sunroof, rear slider, every option but heated/cooled seats.

My friend paid 46 for his 6.2 xlt a few months earlier

2011 F250 6.7PS 4x4 crew cab long bed
2014 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 turbocharged 300+RWHP

Last edited by gsxr1300; 08-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.
gsxr1300 is offline  
post #13 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 1,284
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For what I do in a truck, the old 7.3 diesel was great, the new engines in the diesel line are not any good. I'd never buy another diesel. What I mean is they are good, but don't last from what I've read right here. Seems 50-100k out of an engine. Too rich for my blood.
Doesn't really matter much as Ford doesn't offer a manual transmission anymore so are XXXXXX off my list of trucks to buy for eternity along with GM offerings. Dodge offers manual only on the diesel, which is better than nothing, but the Hemi gas engine coupled with a manual would suit me just fine.
The good news is I used to buy a new truck every couple years back in the 80s and 90s, now I can be content to never buy again as they don't make a truck for me anymore.

1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
RonKZ650 is offline  
post #14 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I test drove both before buying the diesel. The gas engine is cheaper up front for sure but if you do the math the diesel pretty much pays for itself over the course of payments in fuel savings.

Handling is superior in the diesel over the gas. I found the gas really rigid due to the lighter power plant.

Power is SIGNIFICANTLY better with the diesel. Even empty driving you can tell. The Diesel will throw you in the seat mashing the skinny pedal off the line, in the gas you can feel the truck working.

Resale where I am is awesome with the diesel while I can generally find a superduty with Gas engine for $10k+ less then a diesel regardless of mileage. So you really can't lose if you can afford it.

Initially I wasn't interested in the diesel, I figured the 6.2 would be fine but once I started doing the math and weighing my options there was really no reason not to get the diesel. I don't plan to keep the truck beyond warranty so big repairs aren't something I'm worried about.

I hauled 4k lbs in the back of the box the other day for about 100 miles. My mileage didn't really change and when I hit the skinny at 60 the truck pulled hard almost like it was empty. I'm happy I passed on the Gas but your mileage may vary.
suprathepeg is offline  
post #15 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Sloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 180
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprathepeg View Post
I test drove both before buying the diesel. The gas engine is cheaper up front for sure but if you do the math the diesel pretty much pays for itself over the course of payments in fuel savings.

Handling is superior in the diesel over the gas. I found the gas really rigid due to the lighter power plant.

Power is SIGNIFICANTLY better with the diesel. Even empty driving you can tell. The Diesel will throw you in the seat mashing the skinny pedal off the line, in the gas you can feel the truck working.

Resale where I am is awesome with the diesel while I can generally find a superduty with Gas engine for $10k+ less then a diesel regardless of mileage. So you really can't lose if you can afford it.

Initially I wasn't interested in the diesel, I figured the 6.2 would be fine but once I started doing the math and weighing my options there was really no reason not to get the diesel. I don't plan to keep the truck beyond warranty so big repairs aren't something I'm worried about.

I hauled 4k lbs in the back of the box the other day for about 100 miles. My mileage didn't really change and when I hit the skinny at 60 the truck pulled hard almost like it was empty. I'm happy I passed on the Gas but your mileage may vary.
OK - Let's do the math as you say.
36,000 miles / 25 MPG = 1440 gallons of diesel x $3.90 = $5,616 diesel cost.
36,000 miles / 15 MPG = 2400 gallons of gas x $3.40 = $8,160 gas cost.
So you will save $2,544 at the pump from having a diesel engine and pay $8,000 more at the dealer to get it.
For the diesel to pay for itself as you say then you have to keep it way beyond "warranty".
Sloo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Gas Engines

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome