5.4 V-8? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.4 V-8?

OK not in a truck but my wifes' 2002 Expedition. She called me today to tell me the thing made a terribel bang and was running rough and she could smell gas. She was almost home so she limped home. Anyway, I find that the #3 sparkplug has been blown out of the cylinder head! In my entire life I've never seen an intact sparkplug ejected from an engine. We've owned this vehicel since new and it has 93k on it and these are the origional factory installed plugs and coil packs. Why would a plug come loose and blow out after 8 years and almost 100,000 miles? I checked the threads and they looked OK so I got another plug and coil pack and installed them and the engine runs normally. I changed the rest of that bank while I was at it since we've had a few packs fail recently. In January, I replace the second from the back on the drivers side and I found the factory plug was only finger tight! What gives? Could some of these plugs have been left loose from the factory and held all this time? The other plugs on the pass. side were good and tight.
Anybody else ever have this happen and do you know why?

I'm going to change the remaing three packs in a few days just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 PM

A bunch of people experienced plugs popping out. Do a google search and you should find several results. I don't think I ever heard of a OEM installed plug blowing out, but it appears it can, and did, happen. I think FoMoCo blamed most of the problems with incorrect plug replacements. Removing plugs when the head was hot, no or improperly used anti-size, too tight, not tight enough. Then I think they did mention that on some heads there weren't enough threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F350 CC LWB Dually XLT Oxford white manual 4x4 6.0 PSD 6 speed. 4.10 LS front and rear, Built May05. 4" turbo back, 55 gal aux fuel tank. A real pig from a stop, give me 15' and she'll slowly come to life, then watch out!
165K miles, 12 injectors, EGR cooler, Fuel pump, 8 glow plugs, GPCM, FICM rebuilt FoMoCo engine at 150K under 7/200 warranty.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM

My Photos: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPIO26 View Post
I'm going to change the remaing three packs in a few days just to be safe.
Not sure where you get your parts from but I've ordered coil packs off eBay for about 1/3 the price at the dealer.

Al Bedford, P.E.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 AM

My Photos: (1)
For the record, the things (and approximate production dates) of when Ford did what with the spark plugs:

December 1996 - 4.6L 4V alignment feature added
February 1997 - 4.6L 2V head alignment feature added
September 2000 - WEP (Windsor Engine Plant) 2V head alignment feature modified (4.6/5.4/6.8)
November 2002 - WEP introduced long thread heads on 2V (all)
May 2003 - REP (Romeo Engine Plant) introduced long-thread heads on 4V 4.6 and 5.4
November 2003 - REP introduced long-thread heads on 2V and modified alignment feature

In 1999, and 2001, an interim fix was done for a cross-threading issue.
Original process:

Step 1 - Zero torque spark plug (air tool)
Step 2 - Torque to 16-20Nm final torque (DC Run down), monitor at 6-12Nm, and final torque must be reached within 0-360 degrees.

New process (addressed the possibility of applying installation torque for more than 25 degrees of rotation)
Step 1 - Zero torque spark plug (air tool)
Step 2 - Torque to 16-20Nm final torque (DC Run down) start monitor at 6-12Nm, and final torque must be reached within 3-25 degrees.

Another action to address cross-threading was the addition of an alignment feature to lead the plug into the hole.

2016 Taurus SHO w/PP
2001 F250SD V10 auto 4x4 SC SB Volant CAI, ebay headers/y-pipe
19'74 F250HD FE390 4-speed 4x4 LB - heavily modified 390 (deceased)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

So far the plug is holding, two weeks and counting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM

BLOWN OUT PLUG

THE BACK PASS 2 PLUGS PROBABLY GOT WATER IN THE HEAD ON TOP THE PLUG AND THE RUST ACTUALL MAKES THEM COME LOOSE.THE COWELL LEAKS ON BOTH MY SD S AND IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in