The Diesel Stop banner

Ford '95 7.5L engine no good?

82K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Sammy D 
#1 ·
I know this is supposed to be a '99+ forum but can't find anywhere else it might fit than 'other'?

I'm looking at buying (very shortly, quick response would be MUCH appreciated!) a '95 F350 with the 7.5L/460 c.i. engine, it has 97,000 miles on it. I'm now being told (by someone who's opinion I respect) that the 460 had trouble with longevity, that in the years it was manufactured it was not really any good over 100k miles?

Can anybody confirm or deny that statement? What goes wrong with them at 100k miles (or thereabouts)? I'm thinking an engine with that mileage is only about halfway thru its lifespan. This particular engine (in the truck I'm looking at) appears to be drip/leak free and starts quickly, runs quiet and strong.

Is there something inherently wrong with the 460 c.i. and does it have longevity problems? Thanks in advance for any help.

zman

#2 ·
I have heard just the opposite- the 460 will run forever with proper maintanence. However, I have never owned one - I'm sure current or former 460 owners will chime in.

I think the '95 is rated at 245 hp/ 400 lb-ft.

Good luck in your decision.

#4 ·
My brother-in-laws '87 460 is still purring along at 145,000.

Only bad thing about the 460 was it's fuel economy. Big-block = big gas bills.

#6 ·
I've had 2 460's in my history of Ford Trucks. My 86 had 180K miles on it when I sold it, and the engine was just as strong as it ever was. I got 14 mpg on the freeway with a 4" lift and 35's. My 95 had 150K miles on it when I sold that, same story as the prior truck. I could get 14-16 mpg out of that truck of the freeway with no lift.
The 460, as I'm sure anybody who knows anything will test to, is a great block. As with any motor, the more care you give it the longer it will perform for you. Keep fresh oil in it and good gas in the tank and it will run strong for a long time. (not to mention the other regular maintanence)

#7 ·
THE 460 IS A STRONG POWER PLANT!!Just take care of it and it will take care of you.!!!!!
You might want to check out http://www.ford-trucks.com
They deal alot with Gas power fords

twinbulls

#9 ·
I hope you bought shares in a gas station a 460 is a gas pig I know my old F-Superduty I sold 2 weeks ago couldn't hold enough fuel in the tanks to get me very far. The best mileage I got out of that truck was 8 mpg and that was the best put a load on the truck she drops down to 4-5. The 460 does have some jam to it and I used it occasionally but 90% of the time I drove the truck like it had a egg under the pedal. I couldn't stand putting fuel into the truck everyday so I'am looking for a diesel truck I figured my fuel bill must have been around 300 bucks a month and I tried not driving the truck if it didn't make money.

As for longgevity of the 460 it all depends on maintanance keep the oil changed and clean fuel in it the engine should run for a long time.

One last piece of advice told to me by another guy that owned a F-350 4x4 powered by a 460 told me never let the fuel needle get below 1/4 of a tank you won't be making it very far.

KW

#10 ·
This reminds me of several new PSD owners I know. They overstate the diesel mileage of their new truck and understate the gas mileage of their old truck. That way he can justify the high price of the new super duty truck they bought.

I have a 93 460 and get 10 - 12 mpg around town and on the highway. When I am towing I get between 8 - 10. Note I only tow/haul ~6,500 # at the most between a camper and a boat.

#11 ·
Having a diesel is worth it here in B.C. Canada as diesel fuel is cheaper than regular gas owning a diesel truck is proven here especially if your working the truck hard. I know I won't be going back to a truck powered by a big block gas just not worth it I'am still searching to find the truck I want and once I get it man it will be nice not filling the truck up everyday.

A 460 is a good engine but you gotta have deep pockets to own one or not drive the truck often neighbours of mine spent 900 bucks in fuel going to Arizona and back in their motorhome. They figured they averaged 9 mpg with the thing and that sounds about right I average 7 and my old F-Superduty was about the same weight.

KW

#12 ·
I think the FI 460 gets a bit better mileage than the carbureted version. Don't get me wrong, the old 460's were totally mean mothers when a 4bbl. was thrown at them...why else would they put them in humungous Lincoln's?

Plenty of grunt...never meant to be a race motor in stock form, perfect for a 1-ton Ford...do it dude. You'll be glad you did.

#13 ·
Had a 97 Crewcab with the 460. Owned it from mile 35k to 72k = no problems other than an alternater. MPG was 12 at best, and 10 at the worst, but I tend to drive like an old guy. (no offense old fellers...) I really liked the truck and engine, but didn't own it long enough to comment on longevity.

One point on my truck worth mentioning was that I had to retard the timing quite a bit (don't remember the exact degrees) in order to run 87 gas without a slight ping. I am sure this hurt fuel economy and power. (more foot = worse MPG). If I ran 91, all was fine, but as stated above, the motor was thirsty.

Another consideration that may or may not be of importance to you is the range on the truck. Mine had dual (but small 17&19 gal I think) tanks. Useful range was only 350-400 miles.

If you want it, snap it up. That is really the only reason you need. You only go around once. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

#14 ·
Again, thanks for the input, guys. I agree that life is too short and I bought the truck, simply because I WANTED TO!! So good to be back in a FORD, coming out of a Dodge 3500 because I simply had to have the Cummins Diesel and while I loved it, it was still a Dodge and I'm not a big Dodge fan.

The truck does have the dual tanks just like my F150 did, believe it's 17 and 18 gal for the two. At least it's not as big a PITA to find a gas station as it is a Diesel station, least around these parts.

SOOO good to be back in a FORD.......... /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

#16 ·
I have had two F350's with fuel injected 460's in them.

The first truck was an '89 with a 5 speed, dual exhaust, no cat, and 35" muds. I consistently got 11 mpg, in town, on the highway, empty or pulling a 20' boat. I sold it when it had 135000 miles...no leaks and never a problem except for putting new brushes in the alternator once.

The second truck is a '96 with a 5 speed and stock tires. The newer 460's (post '91 or '92 I think) are rated higher output. I have gotten 15 mpg on the freeway with this one. I would like to gut the cat, but my conscience won't let me. It's at 61k miles with no problems and no leaks.

#17 ·
Our family always had F-250's or 350's 4X4's with 460's in them, until 94 when we started to buy diesels, but we still kept a couple of with gassers around. most of them we sold with around 150,000 miles. Our old beatter truck a 89 F-350 4X4 has 230,000 miles on it still runs and starts the first time you turn the key, but is very tired....

#18 ·
Personal experience: 1992 F-350 DRW, 2WD, E4OD, 4.56 gears, wheel-lift wrecker. Plenty of power, durable (290,000 miles at last check) engine, not-so-durable slushbox, actually rides pretty well for a 1-ton, VERY, VERY sensitive (like all I-beam Fords) to front-end wear.

Mileage is horrendous: one night of towing, with 2 LONG highway runs (loaded at ~60, returning empty at 65, cruise on both times) & relatively little city stop-and-go was a stupefying 3.8MPG.

Truck has a K&N in the stock airbox, a 3" cat-back with a turbo muffler (dumps ahead of RR wheels), otherwise stock.

My usual truck (1986 F-350, NA 6.9 diesel, T-19 4-speed, 400,000+ miles, 4.10 gears) got ~10 loaded & 15 empty. Even the 1987 GMC R-35 (TBI 454, TH-400, 4.10's, 380,000 miles, engine replaced at ~270,000) got 8-9 empty & 6-8 loaded. The F-550 rollback (PSD/6-speed, 4.88's) averages ~14MPG. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.