The Perennial ATF Question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Perennial ATF Question

I look after our kids' motorhome here at the campsite, and today as I was putting it up for the winter I noticed the tranny is low on ATF.

The chassis if a 1999 F-550 V10 Triton gasser. Is probably running the original ATF as it is low mileage.

AutoZone lists Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc Automatic Transmission Fluid for this vehicle. (I entered the VIN to get their applicable products.)

Has the perennial agonizing over Mercon vs Mercon V finally gone away and I can assume that reputable parts suppliers sell the proper oil? (We're out in the brush here. Nearest Ford dealer is farther that I feel like driving unless this post blows up and I can't decide on the local supplier?)

Thanks in advance! (Still driving my 2000 PSD. Gonna be buried in it!)

Art

2000 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4 six-pack dually. All Stock.
Ride Rites with "Big Red" on-board Compressor.
DynaTrac Free-Spin conversion.
Hellroaring Battery Isolator for T-145 house batteries.
Flex-A-Lite 900 CFM tranny cooler (for those special 100 Deg./5 MPH-traffic
Florida days) with Magnefine filter.
FleetGuard coolant filter.
Sun-Lite slide-in camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
I trust Autozone as far as I can throw one of their buildings.

Having said that, what they recommend won't hurt it. It isn't the best choice, but it's not bad for it. MERCON V is the correct fluid for that transmission.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:49 PM

Here's one available at Autozone that should work well for you. Mobil 1 Mercon V.

https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-a...quart/5042_0_0

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

ATF

Thanks to both! I don't log on much since I quit towing, so was glad to see you're still on there.

Seems like there was a lot of controversy swirling around Mercon V 15 years ago, and apparently it's not the poison for old 4R100s like some thought it was when I first got the truck.

Interestingly, the motorhome has the same tranny with the Triton engine as my 7.3 which has served me well.

I haven't looked for any junk in my truck's internal screen, but the Magnefines are clean when I change ATF. I use Amsoil Torque Drive. Performance is exactly as it was when new.

You guys OK with adding synthetic to whatever mouse milk Ford put in that tranny at the factory? I'll go with the Mobil-1 Synthetic.

Thanks again. Good to hear from you.
Art, Formerly Known As "ShePointiIDig."

2000 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4 six-pack dually. All Stock.
Ride Rites with "Big Red" on-board Compressor.
DynaTrac Free-Spin conversion.
Hellroaring Battery Isolator for T-145 house batteries.
Flex-A-Lite 900 CFM tranny cooler (for those special 100 Deg./5 MPH-traffic
Florida days) with Magnefine filter.
FleetGuard coolant filter.
Sun-Lite slide-in camper.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artkelly View Post
Seems like there was a lot of controversy swirling around Mercon V 15 years ago, and apparently it's not the poison for old 4R100s like some thought it was when I first got the truck.
Back then MERCON V was poison to 4R100s. In 2006 MERCON V was changed to be compatible with 4R100s.

Quote:
Interestingly, the motorhome has the same tranny with the Triton engine as my 7.3 which has served me well.
Both are 4R100s, but there are differences between the diesel and gas versions.

Quote:
You guys OK with adding synthetic to whatever mouse milk Ford put in that tranny at the factory? I'll go with the Mobil-1 Synthetic.
Yes, they are compatible and will mix without problems.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in