Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Powerstrokes 1994-1997 General FAQ Frequently asked questions in the Powerstrokes 1994-1997 General forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve

I imagine that you guys down here in the basement are having troubles with fuel leaks like the superduty crowd is. I just posted some photos that may help out with this.

Here's some pix of a 94-97 van filter drain valve.

Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve-valve_removed_from_filter.jpg

Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve-o-rings_removed_-_valve_in_closed_position.jpg

Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve-valve_in_open_position.jpg

Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve-turned_180_deg_from_open.jpg

Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve-stem_partially_removed.jpg

Or you can go to my album that has more pix (hit the max of 5 inserted in a post) and some notes about disassembling the valve.

94-97 Fuel Drain Valve - TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 04-10-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Replaced broken link with direct link to photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 AM

My Photos: (0)
Re: Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve

Do you need to get the "O" rings from Ford or is there another source out there?
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

No, in fact, you can't even buy the o-rings separate from Ford AFAIK. They just sell the whole valve.

Any place that sells o-rings can fix you up. Viton is the preferred material, but Buna-N has been working for me for quite a while (over 1-1/2 yrs). For Viton o-rings, try www.mcmaster.com or www.oringsusa.com

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, in fact, you can't even buy the o-rings separate from Ford AFAIK. They just sell the whole valve.

Any place that sells o-rings can fix you up. Viton is the preferred material, but Buna-N has been working for me for quite a while (over 1-1/2 yrs). For Viton o-rings, try www.mcmaster.com or www.oringsusa.com

[/ QUOTE ]Once I looked at the pics I saw instantly why the o rings are not sold separately. The rings serve as ball valve seats....so they are considered a part of the valve itself...Yeah, they also seal the valve body to the filter, but....

Now you see why it's is best to use viton...as they are seats, then they experience wear whenever you operate the valve, unlike a static seal.

95 F-350 DRW extended cab Dixie Custom, 180K troublefree miles, straight pipes, no other mods....Yet.

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

what size are the O-rings? id like to have them on hand before i tear into it. thanks, -marty

1996 F-350 CC,LB,4x4,E40D by BTS,BDP stage II's,Hypermax H2E,Big Oil,ARP head studs,3"intakes,Comp 910 springs,4 pos. chip w/Jody's and Tony's tunes,electric fuel system,modded IDM,open element intake,6.0 intercooler,Stancor GPR,Hypermax downpipe,Magnaflow 4" stainless exhaust,Perma Cool remote trans filter,B&M 70274 tranny cooler,Interceptor Scan Gauge,a bunch of Autometer Sport Comp gauges,4.56's,RSK w/ V-codes,flipped spring hangers in rear,custom anti-axle wrap bars,315/75-16 Toyo AT II's on 16x10 Eagle Alloys 143's(polished),Warn manual hubs,west coast mirrors from an F-700,Lund sunvisor,Stull polished stainless billet grille,diamond cut headlights,park/turn signal lights,and corner lights
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

O-ring size is -202
1/2" OD x 1/4" ID x 1/8" thickness (nominal dimensions)

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:26 AM

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

thanks

1996 F-350 CC,LB,4x4,E40D by BTS,BDP stage II's,Hypermax H2E,Big Oil,ARP head studs,3"intakes,Comp 910 springs,4 pos. chip w/Jody's and Tony's tunes,electric fuel system,modded IDM,open element intake,6.0 intercooler,Stancor GPR,Hypermax downpipe,Magnaflow 4" stainless exhaust,Perma Cool remote trans filter,B&M 70274 tranny cooler,Interceptor Scan Gauge,a bunch of Autometer Sport Comp gauges,4.56's,RSK w/ V-codes,flipped spring hangers in rear,custom anti-axle wrap bars,315/75-16 Toyo AT II's on 16x10 Eagle Alloys 143's(polished),Warn manual hubs,west coast mirrors from an F-700,Lund sunvisor,Stull polished stainless billet grille,diamond cut headlights,park/turn signal lights,and corner lights
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 PM

If you decide to replace the o-ring on the top of the valve stem at the same time, it is a -013 o-ring...
Just my .01
Tom

Black 1999.5 F250SD XLT AUTO 4x4 reg. cab(6/99), Pre-pump & Tank Mods, AFE Intake, Racor Filter/Separator, HX Mod, ZooDad, WW, Power-pedal Mod, Pop-up gooseneck ball,Brush Guard, 3.5" lift, and #2 cologne.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:59 PM

ok i know where the 2 torx tip screws are and i have my o-rings in hand. my question is do i have to remove my filter bowl or can i somehow get to the 2 screws for removing and installing. it looks tight because it is at the bottom of the bowl. thanks

2000 excursion superchips progamer,(ole ladies ride) no fuel milage increase but the power is there.
2000 f250 4x4,hypertech tuner ,no kitty,4in exhaust turbo back , air raid filter
97 f350 psd, c/c, 4x4,3.55ls, 285/75 goodyear MT/R's
shimmed w/ calif. kit, 10k mod, ported snorkel,hypermax downpipe,ps2000 propane
45hp superchip,pcm code TDE1, TEXAS TROPHY HUNTERS decal!!
looking for hunting opportunities in the north mississippi area or s/w tennessee, deer and hogs , let the littles ones walk
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
ok i know where the 2 torx tip screws are and i have my o-rings in hand. my question is do i have to remove my filter bowl or can i somehow get to the 2 screws for removing and installing. it looks tight because it is at the bottom of the bowl. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I can't tell you, as I've never done the job on an OBS truck, just borrowed the filter bowl from a buddy to take the pix.

There's one sure way to find out, and that's dig in and try it.

Post what you find out here, so other folks will know.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 04:49 PM

If you got super small extra long fingers and they can bend in several areas at once then you might be able to but if not,take the rubber line lose on back of filter can to pump,take lose the line on the right side of the filter can,look in back of filter at very bottom youll see two metric bolts holding it down,take out,now youll be able to move filter can around some,not much but enough to get a t15 torx socket on,break lose then use fingers to turn socket till out a bit,then use just fingers to completly remove little torx screws,the handle comes off with it once its lowered alittle,,the newer valves have 4 torx screws and want work on older 94s,take your time,if you drop anything youll need a small magnet to fish it out.
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM

My 95 Ps 7.3 is leaking bad!! It began stalling now and then. Then I noticed stains on the driveway, thought tranny was leaking, it was diesel fuel. Its deep enuff in the block valley to splash with you fingers.... A mech has removed all but the filer housing and can't find the leak yet... what do you think, could this post be about what is wrong ???

'95 Crew Diesel Dually 7.3 automatic (147k 12/02/05) 199k 11/16/11, no cat, bigger DP I was told. "Don't put sides on your Shop, or the Ole Lady will want to store Furniture in it"
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:34 PM

my pump leaked ,replaced that and after 3 weeks noticed the drain valve leaking..

1996 250 psd ext. cab 4x4
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:38 AM

I once had a leak so bad in my 97' that it took the whole rear tank and half of the front to run 10 miles! When I took it apart, the fuel housing must have been a bad casting..... there was a dime sized hole in the bottom of it! Took it to a welder and had him tig the hole shut since a new housing was over $300. So far so good.

2002 F350 CC,Short Bed, Dually w/ 7.3L, Air Raid intake, 3 gauge pod w/ISSPRO V2 gauges, Overhead gauge mount with DP Tuner gauge switch, DP F6 tuner w/stock, 1300 hi idle, 80 econo, 120 race, 40 & 80 tow and decel tunes. 4" turbo back Magnaflow exhaust, CPR fuel system, CCV mod, Adrenaline HPOP and Full Force single shot stage 1 injectors.

post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JoshuaLee

Same here, decent bad leak but comes and goes...I think its the O-Rings...But somebody on NTPS said you can buy just the o-rings at Ford?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General > Powerstrokes 1994-1997 General FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in