Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Powerstrokes 1994-1997 General FAQ Frequently asked questions in the Powerstrokes 1994-1997 General forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mk3drift
Re: Fix your fuel leak from filter drain valve

could this cause the truck not to start when its warm. i noticed i have fuel in the valley i cant figure out where its coming from and i dont know if it was doing before

"liftem, fat chicks cant jump"
'96 f350 intake,4" exhaust,edge........sold
'00 f250 afe intake, edge, 6" lift, 37" tires, 18" m/t rims,custom 5" miter stacks no ugly ypipe in the bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 AM

sabir

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Last edited by Dick Cutting; 04-10-2008 at 05:20 AM.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM

i recently replaced the o-rings on the drain valve....picked up the three o-rings off ebay with not so accurate instructions. i had to pull the whole filter assembly from the engine to gain access to the #20 torx screws to remove the valve....after that it was easy. unfortunately it didn't fix what ever is leaking.

justin
'97 f250 ex. cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM

I am experiencing a fuel leak and doing searching here to be prepared on what to look for before I tear into it....when I click on the link in the first post I get a message saying I am denied access to that thread and don't have permission to view it.......any real reason for that? is this privledged information? if so, why? I have always found this forum to be a help and this seems a bit counterproductive.

97 F350 Crew Cab Powerstroke Dually-Automatic
Mods: 3" downpipe, K&N Filter
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Jim Felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by presvt View Post
I am experiencing a fuel leak and doing searching here to be prepared on what to look for before I tear into it....when I click on the link in the first post I get a message saying I am denied access to that thread and don't have permission to view it.......any real reason for that? is this privledged information? if so, why? I have always found this forum to be a help and this seems a bit counterproductive.

I'm having the same problem with my '97 SDPS and with the website. Hope we get both answers.
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM

Is there a site that has a diagram of the fuel system to help me better understand just where this filter drain valve is located and what I'm getting into?

Great site. Helpful reading.
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by presvt View Post
Sorry guys, the software conversion of the website messed up the original link (and lost the photos).

I just reposted the photos and linked directly to them.

Kevin

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Great info in this thread. I have a fuel leak I need to fix.
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Looks like the little green bands we use when banding calves
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:48 PM

i have a fuel leak, it is coming out of the bottom of the fuel filter i believe... or it looks like it is at least... Could this be the same thing as what your referring to?
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Unhappy I have a big puddle of fuel

I have this big puddle of fuel in the valley of the engine that runs down on the ground at the transmission or back of engine. I also have a leak back at the duel fuel tank switching valve. The rubber fuel lines look like they are special made from the factory with clamps I have never seen before so where do you get them? I am getting air in the lines that causes the truck to almost stall going up hills even with my foot to the floor. Has anyone replaced these lines back at the tank and the switching valve? Will the tanks need to be drained? I just filled both fuel tanks right before the truck started acting up so I have about 30 or more gallons of fuel on board. I have a 1995 7.3 Power Stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock96 View Post
i have a fuel leak, it is coming out of the bottom of the fuel filter i believe... or it looks like it is at least... Could this be the same thing as what your referring to?
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Well the verdict is in and here is what was done to fix the truck after service codes were ran. Had to replace the exhaust pressure sensor, injection control pressure, EBP & tube, ICP, IPR, bad leaking lift pump and hoses, low fuel pressure sensor and injector o-rings. Checked fuel filter and found to be like new and injector pump is good. My truck runs like a new truck and now you can actually feel the power the truck has gained and hear the turbo whistle every time you hit the foot peddle. Before the work, the turbo could not be heard and the truck had little power. Even the transmission is shifting better. I can't believe the difference the work made.
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Fuel Leak

My 97 is also leaking. It only seems to leak when the engine is cold. Think it might be the O rings? I have checked all the fuel lines, the fuel pump and everything else I can think of.
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 AM

New Drain Valve Assy.

Just tore into my 96 this evening with new drain valve kit. Got too dark so had to retire. Pump under turbo was replaced last year. Still leaks. Looks like the bowl definitely has to come loose. I AM NOT A DIESEL MECHANIC. I know there is air in the lines now worrying about the first start up attempt. The fuel lines I've looked at on the truck look to be in bad shape. This has been a very helpful reading, thanks very much. Any pearls of wisdom on whatever else may leak in there? All lines and o ring will be replaced, I only want to do this once every twelve years or so. Thanks again -Pat
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 05:37 PM

Replaced drain valve and o rings, cleaned and dried valley pan well. Still leaks. I bought a distribution pump with new washers and all new fuel lines. I'll check the pump replaced by the Ford Stealership. Looks like I will need to yank the turbo so I'm going to wait till I got the money for a 1.00 Turbine Housing and a better compressor wheel. I'll do the HPX while I'm at it long with a fuel pressure shim and gauge. There's really not a whole lot that can leak into the valley pan when you think about it, there's hoses and O rings but that's it. Not quite as difficult to work on as it is intimidating. Reading and pictures help. Anyone know of a good manual to get? I have a chilton, but it sucks for the powertrain on a diesel, great for chassis and brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General > Powerstrokes 1994-1997 General FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in