Swapping to a 5 speed. Year model question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels FAQ Frequently asked questions in the Powerstrokes 7.3L IDI Diesels forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Swapping to a 5 speed. Year model question

I have a 92 f-350. It currently has a c6 in it, but came factory with an e40d. I have a line on a 95 Zf 5 speed from a powerstroke and all the goodies to make it work. There shouldn't be any problems bolting this up, right? Same bell housing I assume?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Trans will fit. The fly wheel will not work. crank is different. You can get a single mass fly wheel kit. I got a real good one from napa . ther are cheaper kits though. If you use your truck like I use mine I wouldn't cheap out on the clutch. Napa part#1107225 $460

I think the swing pedals should work! The manual trans set up is shorter than an e40d but it might be close to a c6. you might have to mess with drive shafts.

I got my zf out of an 89 and put in a 94 so the frames where a little different. mainly where the crossmember holes are. You should be alright with 95to 92 swap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
94 F350 CREW CAB 4X4 7.3 IDI TURBO.
I'VE OWNED SEVERAL VEHICLES AND TRUCKS. THIS IS MY FAVORITE ONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

260000 mi still runnin strong!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am not getting a flywheel or clutch with this, so I was just going to buy a SMF conversion set. I was not about to put in an old clutch anyway, don't want to have to take it out twice!

I am getting everything but the clutch and driveshafts out of the donor truck. Hope it goes well and works out good. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

All right. I have almost all the parts to start on this conversion, but I have a question for someone who has done this.

The donor truck was a different wheel base, so the driveshaft was different. Should I go on the hunt for a drive shaft at salvage yards( I have already done this, without much success) or, should I go to a drivshaft shop and have one fabbed up? I have never done anything with a custom drive shaft, so that would be new territory for me.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 PM

My Photos: (5)
When I did the swap I took my shafts to driveline shop and said I need "this" this many inches, they cut ends off and welded right size tube to them

91 f250 7.3l mods

13 chrysler 300 hemi mods
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:33 AM

Thumbs up

did this to my '91 van- SMF clutch kit, used the stock rear trans mount,crossmember, had to add a center driveshaft support bearing.. used a F250 drive shaft, had to shorten the front and lengthen the back I had to add a clutch pedal and mount a clutch master cyl in the floor, you have a place built into the fire wall.. I just moved the cross member forward to match the shorter 5spd ... you might have to mess w the rear U joint-- some are 1 1/8" and some are 1 1/16"..... I have a 1 1/8" drive shaft and a 1 1/16" rear axle , also known as a " ford special" good luck..

'91 E350 7.3 , facet Duralift fuel pump , snglmass flywhl, ZF 5spd trans, 2 piece drive shaft, 3.55 d60 lsd moosiahmobile project.... '81 volksdiesel Frankenbunny ,more Audi than Golf OR Rabbit!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

About how much did it cost to get your driveshafts customized? It doesn't really matter, I have to get it done. I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off. Thanks for the info.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 AM

You should be able to find a drive shaft to fit the front. Call your salvage yards. The stock one should be able to be shortend. If you have drive shafts that are to long it is cheaper to have them shortend. can't say how much it will cost, because I've always done my self. If you have a welder and the know how it is pretty easy to get right. If I had to guess though, I'd say about $200 for both shafts.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

What is the "best" transmission fluid to use in these? I don't want to spend too much, but I want something that will last well, and keep noise to a minimum.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM

ATF is what is recomended. But It dosn't seem to hold up. Ther is some discussion on here about oil to put in a ZF. I am going to try using Hytan or a hydraulic trans fluid. It is what is in hyraulicly operated transmissins in tractors. ATF is about a 5 wieght I think. Hytran is more somewhere between 10 15, and is much like ATF in its make up. The other thing you can do is to get finned covers to replace the PTO covers. It will help cool the trans oil.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdenton View Post
What is the "best" transmission fluid to use in these?
It'll last a long time so it's not all that expensive in the long run,
but this is what I've heard is the best you can get...

Redline MTL = synthetic ATF for manual transmissions (4 qts)

Alvin in AZ
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

4 Quarts will fill it up?

I have read on other places people overfill them for whatever reason. Any need to do this?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Picked up 4 quarts of royal perple ATF today. Hoping it will hold up for a while. I also have the new driveshafts in with all new u-joints and carrier bearing. Getting closer!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 PM

When I did the swap from the t19 to the zf I used a Napa single mass works great and the shop that re built the trans said to use 10 30 weight non detergent motor oil to keep the gear roll over noise down have 30k on it now still almost no noise at all it works great make sure to not over tighten the drive shaft u bolts or u will break the u joint and destroy your new drive shaft learned that the hard way

Last edited by afterworkfun; 08-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 01:05 AM

I didn't see a mention of the firewall flex issues. It would be a good time to add the reinforcement plate that is reproduced that was at one point offered by Ford to fix the flex issues. My 88 had a ZF5 stock, and I can feel the firewall flex all over the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) > 7.3L IDI Diesels FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in