6.0 turbo failure - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:58 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: 6.0 turbo failure

No, it cannot.

Tell your dealer to READ the "Magnuson Moss Act". When they are done, and can understand it, they will have to PROVE that a modification CAUSED the failure, not contributed to it, but was the CAUSE.

First off, the EBP sensor is BEFORE the turbo, no modifications AFTER the turbo will affect the EBP reading because nothing was changed there.

Secondly, reducing parasitic exhaust back pressure will only HELP the turbo respond quicker under near-full boost. The small decrease in restriction is only "seen" by the engine near peak exhaust flow (power). The faster you spin the engine, the more exhaust matters.

Turbo speed is a function of engine displacement, RPM, power output and overall efficiency. You did not alter ANY of those things.

JohnG
-ASE Certified Master Truck
-Navistar Diamond Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Re: 6.0 turbo failure

[ QUOTE ]
I went through the same crap a year ago with one particular dealership and FSE...saying the same thing.

So, I asked them for the operating specs of the engine which they did give me, went out and grabbed my laptop installed with the Auto Enginuity software and showed the SM,FSE, and Tech that the BP was right in the acceptable range and to quit screwing (not the word I really used) around and fix it. They reluctantly did.

They kept saying that there was zero back pressure!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the opportunity to hook an AE up to mine as well. With my full turbo-back exhaust, the EBP was reading dead on the money with what Ford says it should be. That clearly showed me that the aftermarket exhaust has no effect on the EBP's sensory readout.

I do think I would take 4x4Mark's suggestion though, and check the EBP. There have been several cases of it going bad and causing turbo related problems.

BTW, I have yet to see any significant correlation to the number of vanes in the turbo and the number of turbo failures, so I don't think that is an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President and Webmaster
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

the most common source for turbo underboost is the VGT. either the turbo itself has seized (vgt) from lack of use. By lack of use I mean if the truck is babied and maybe sits for a long period of time. These things like to be drivin the crap out of. Or the VGT solenoid is acting up. EBP is also a cause but no more the ther vgt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to heater1951
AfterMarket exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 751 View Post
I have a question. I have a 2004 Ford Excursion that has been taken in for lack of boost several times with nothing found by the tech. Yesterday Ford stated the Turbo failed and was caused by the magna flo exhaust 4" and that they would not warranty this repair. My Question is can an aftermarket exhaust cause the turbo to fail?

Go And Look At powerstrokephelp.com
they tell you to help your motor and put a bigger exhaust on.. Check Them out
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 PM

I'm knocking on wood here because I have 170k miles on the same turbo with a 4" turbo back exhaust thats been on there 3 days after I got the truck in 03... Dont think the DP exhaust is your issue. (this is with the stock air cleaner)

JR
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:09 PM

2005 excursion 6.0 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
The exhaust had NOTHING to do with your turbo failure. I forgot to look at your signature to see what you got but it seems all the turbo failures are 03 10 vanes and a few 04 13 vanes. I got my turbo replaced at 24K and now have 34K with no probs. Got the same 10 vane also. I live in a county of 5000 people and their are probably at the moment 10 6.0L's running around and three of them have had turbo's replaced. Pretty crappy odds if you ask me. Take your truck to a different dealer. If your really worried about it put teh stock DP back in and cat. The cat is more important than the down pip from what my tech has told me. The big reps look for a cat more than a piddly downpipe.

I Would Like To Know Why After All The Problems Ford Is Have With The 6.0 Turbo(engine for that matter) Know one.... Has Come Up With The Answer On How To Fix IT The Right Way.... Ford Won There case Against International and We As The Buyers Have Lost hmmmmmm...
Ford Has Every Excuse I Know OF Why We are Causeing The Problem,Well They Tell Us That when we Go There To Have It Worked On,Never Ford Problem..... We All Got Screwed From Ford
I would lIke To See Ford Stand Good For Every 6,0 They Sold as long As Your The Original Owner That Is.....Or Buy The Piece Of **** Back
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heater1951 View Post
I Would Like To Know Why After All The Problems Ford Is Have With The 6.0 Turbo(engine for that matter) Know one.... Has Come Up With The Answer On How To Fix IT The Right Way.... Ford Won There case Against International and We As The Buyers Have Lost hmmmmmm...
Ford Has Every Excuse I Know OF Why We are Causeing The Problem,Well They Tell Us That when we Go There To Have It Worked On,Never Ford Problem..... We All Got Screwed From Ford
I would lIke To See Ford Stand Good For Every 6,0 They Sold as long As Your The Original Owner That Is.....Or Buy The Piece Of **** Back
And what does this have to do with the actual thread that was 4 years old then dug up, then a year old and dug up again and now almost another year and dug up again?

2004 EB Excursion, 4x4, 6.0, Magnaflow Exhaust, Isspro Gauges in an under cubby pod, Fumoto, V code front springs, bubba lights and newly added so called bullet proofing, including PMax turbo.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 PM

wow, I have been lossing power when towing trailer w/horses, was told to put it in tow haul, I never had to before, something is wrong, could it be EBP sensor?
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 AM

I think one of the updates most of us got had the EBP sensor input only assumed on completion, but I have been told I was wrong before.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM

180,xxx hard miles with the original turbo! i have a mbrp with the cat gone and just a muffler! A larger exhaust does not lead to turbo failure, if you baby your truck or park it for a long period of time carbon tends to build up causing them to corrode! I say every once in a while put your foot to the floor and hear the most amazing diesel v8 you will ever hear! Cleans the turbo a bit and these motor loves to be driven hard!

06 ford powerstroke 2"inch lift xd series dick cepek fc2 w/ sct custom tunes, 4" turbo-back mbrp exhaust.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Turbo was Rebult and now i hear a whistle sound when i am running.. is that normal ????
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jrb8225
turbo failure

I know this is an old topic but i'm hoping I can help anyone else that may run across these posts. About 3 weeks after removing my stock muffler and hollowing out the cat my turbo killed over. I'm not really diesel savvy but I'd hate for this to happen to someone else who is considering a homemade exhaust mod.

04 6.0 lariat cc fx4
edge mileage max
hollowed out kitty and muffler delete
wanting many mods but funds are being sucked dry by diapers and wipes!

Last edited by jrb8225; 11-20-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: usedturbos.net is reliable
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Stock 2005 F250 4x4 6.0 with 66,000 miles on clock. Three turbos so far.

First failed at 28,000. Second failed at 53,000. Third failed out of box. Hopefully fourth will last until the truck is sold.

Driving history. First 28,000 did not pull trailer. Truck not daily driver so sits for long periods. Maybe a month at a time. I know this is not good. Last 35,000 miles. I have pulled a small (7,500) trailer more than 30,000 miles. Miles per engine hour are over 40 so it's a mixed bag of long rides and short stop and go driving.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM

heater needs to wake up and smell the coffee, lots of advice here on how to deal with just about any issue the engine has. by now now the mechanics have this engine pretty well sorted out. if they don't they are just parts changers and won't be getting anywhere near mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in