6.0L bulletproof - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L bulletproof

Hi I just bought my first diesel it is a 2003 Ford excursion 6.0L diesel. I am currently down in San diego ca and getting ready to drive home in about a month. I do not have time to fully bullet proof the engine before I leave. I was just wondering what the priority order for these bullet proof mods would be. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 AM

Depending on how in depth you wanna go, at least I'd start out with the basics: Coolant filter kit and a egr kit. If you want more info or pricing, send me a PM and i'd be glad to help you out.

08 CCSB 6.4 617 RWHP Fuel Only Un-corrected ***SOLD**
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:51 PM

I just made an appointment for a partial bullet proofing of my 03 Lariat with only 78K miles on it. Partial includes EGR delete, blue spring on fuel regulator, clean the turbo, new standpipes, replace coolant. I intend to have them replace the air filter, radiator hoses, and serpentine belt while its in there. I think with these minimal improvements the truck will last another 100K

Mechanic recommended against the ARP studs and FICM tune at this juncture. He also said don't do the heads until/unless they are bad. He had several sets of heads with cracks. He also said he prefers the 6.0 over the 6.4.

I think he was looking at my age, 71, my light towing, and the low mileage on the truck as determinants for those recommendations.

Built 4/14/03. Picked it up 4/25/03 - F-350, 6.0L, Auto, SRW, Lariat, Camper/Towing/ Pkgs, Heated Seats, upgraded TT mirrors, ESOF, reverse sensors, 2 tone (Tru blue & Arizona Beige)
SCT Livewire, SCT tunes, MKM custom tunes

Bullet proofed at 78K Miles 4/2015 with the following work done. (EGR delete, ELC coolant, blue spring, new (O rings, up pipe, alternator, coolant hoses, and belt) replaced DS valve cover, replaced oil dipstick tube, ARP studs, Ford HGs, heads magnafluxed (they were OK) turbo cleaned)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 AM

Get a new mechanic!

2003 Ford Excursion 6.0 139,000 Miles...F-650 Dash
4-2-2015 Bulletproofing completed:
Completely Rebuilt and O-Ringed Heads.... ARP Studs....OEM Oil Cooler....RCD EGR Delete....OEM Head Gaskets....Glow Plugs....Glow Plug Harnesses....Injector O Rings....Thermostat & Housing...Valve cover, Exhaust, Intake Gaskets....Riffraff Blue Boots....Turbo drain Tube.... Sinister Oil Filter, Sinister Coolant Filter, Fumoto Valve Oil & Block....Fuel Pressure Gauge.... Coolant Temp Gauge....Oil Temp Gauge....Blue Spring....FICM.Com W/Atlas 40....Aluminum Radiator
Marinco Plug Mod
08-10 Side View Mirrors
Firestone Rear Air Bags
Harpooned/ Zoodad Mod
Redhead Steering
Leveled

"If you're lucky enough to live in Texas, you're lucky enough"
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 AM

Blackrod, I expected some push back, but looking at your signature, even your truck has almost twice the mileage as mine without head work. I think the mechanic was looking at my driving pattern, age, and expecting similar engine life expectancy.

Do you have a tune in your truck? How extreme and for how many miles?

Built 4/14/03. Picked it up 4/25/03 - F-350, 6.0L, Auto, SRW, Lariat, Camper/Towing/ Pkgs, Heated Seats, upgraded TT mirrors, ESOF, reverse sensors, 2 tone (Tru blue & Arizona Beige)

Bullet proofed at 78K Miles 4/2015 with the following work done. (EGR delete, ELC coolant, blue spring, new (O rings, up pipe, alternator, coolant hoses, and belt) replaced DS valve cover, replaced oil dipstick tube, ARP studs, Ford HGs, heads magnafluxed (they were OK) turbo cleaned)
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
73,000 miles. Head studs are ur choice I went to 150000 before I lost a head gasket. But you will need the turbo clean with that low of miles. Egr delete go with Ipr performance it's a one peace and no little blue house. Do the turbo upgrade drain tube. Ficm tune work great atlas 40 tune. Big thing coolant filter Ipr performane makes a great one to. He is right about the head 6.0 gets micro cracks. Lots of them crack from exhaust valve to glow plug hole.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 AM

I'm still not sure about the head studs. Now that I've had a taste of the street tune, I want to try the more extreme tune, but that leaves me with the decision of the studs, and, the associated $$s, of course.

Last edited by MDblackd; 03-03-2015 at 09:05 PM.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 AM

The reason y you would want to do stud now is bc ur half way there anyway. Thing with 6.0 headgasket they could blow tomarrow or 250000 miles down the road but it will happen.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM

Hey Guys! I am getting ready to put a new oil cooler on my F-250. Should I go with a Factory Oil Cooler or a Bulletproof diesel one? And also if i go wight he factory one would y'all recommend doing a Coolant Filtration Kit? And also, Does anyone know where I can get a manual for my 2004 Ford F250? I plan of doing the head gaskets while I'm in there. Someone said something about Mitchell?
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM

I have the Ipr performance relocation on my truck with coolant filter in front of of the oil cooler, it been problem free. Bpd is a good kit to. There are guys having problem getting there oil up to temp on air cool bpd kits in cold places.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDblackd View Post
Blackrod, I expected some push back, but looking at your signature, even your truck has almost twice the mileage as mine without head work. I think the mechanic was looking at my driving pattern, age, and expecting similar engine life expectancy.

Do you have a tune in your truck? How extreme and for how many miles?
No tuner....I would not do that until its bulletproofed. I bought it with more mileage so I didnt have much choice there, however, I have collected all the parts and it will be done by April. Ive seen guys posts on here where HGs went south with well under 100,000 miles. I just dont see how a mechanic can evaluate the longevity of your HGs by your age and a predicted driving pattern. I am your age and i drive my Ex very quietly....until its bulletproofed. My Ex runs great, nice and smooth and starts well. No complaints! I didnt mean to insult you....just the mechanic.

Completely Rebuilt and O-Ringed Heads.... ARP Studs....OEM Oil Cooler....RCD EGR Delete....OEM Head Gaskets....Glow Plugs....Glow Plug Harnesses....Injector O Rings....Thermostat & Housing...Valve cover, Exhaust, Intake Gaskets....Riffraff Blue Boots....Turbo drain Tube.... Sinister Oil Filter, Sinister Coolant Filter, Fumoto Valve Oil & Block....Fuel Pressure Gauge.... Coolant Temp Gauge....Oil Temp Gauge....Blue Spring....FICM.Com W/Atlas 40....Aluminum Radiator
Marinco Plug Mod
08-10 Side View Mirrors
Firestone Rear Air Bags
Harpooned/ Zoodad Mod
Redhead Steering
Leveled

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 07:22 AM

Blackrod, you didn't insult me nor the mechanic. A note about the mechanic, he builds many, many high horse power diesels. Yeah, he is a diesel race mechanic, when I was in his 4 stall shop each was full, with 3-4 trucks sitting outside the shop waiting to be worked on or return of heads from machine shop. He was knowledgeable re: some things often mentioned here making recommendations for/against.

So it is safe to assume he is both knowledgeable and opinionated. I trusted his opinions.

Last edited by MDblackd; 03-04-2015 at 07:26 AM.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Blackrod, you didn't insult me nor the mechanic. A note about the mechanic, he builds many, many high horse power diesels. Yeah, he is a diesel race mechanic, when I was in his 4 stall shop each was full, with 3-4 trucks sitting outside the shop waiting to be worked on or return of heads from machine shop. He was knowledgeable re: some things often mentioned here making recommendations for/against.

So it is safe to assume he is both knowledgeable and opinionated. I trusted his opinions.
What egr delete is he going to go with.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:

May I ask who's your mechanic?

I always recommend studding the 6.0's period to customers because like said above, they can pop head gaskets bone stock and even at low mileage. It's literally a roll of the dice from what I have seen about when and where they're going to pop. My brother had a 04 6.0 with stock head bolts running a SDP tune and Gearhead's SRL++ turning 13.8's in the 1/4. That truck saw the track on a regular basis. It went to the next owner like that and stayed that way till he sold it. My 6.4 is still on factory pistons, valve train, injection pump, injectors pushing 584hp. I'm in the 100k mi range now. Have I've been lucky, maybe. Personally tuning makes all the difference in the world and consistent maintenance. Oh and never ran a FICM tune on the 6.0

We've done a couple of BDP Air to oil cooler conversions on a couple 6.0's and man I wish that was available at the when we had the 04. I'm patiently waiting for them to design one for a 6.4. Personally I think the way they desgined the oil cooler systems in the 6.0 and 6.4 was a horrible idea. That's why i'm such a big fan of BDP's kit. just my .02

08 CCSB 6.4 617 RWHP Fuel Only Un-corrected ***SOLD**

Last edited by Radioflyer; 03-04-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Dont get the wrong idea. I dont think anyone will criticize you for doing what you think is best for your 6.0. What everyone on this site will advise you is to bulletproof your truck. Obviously you wont take my advice, and thats ok, but you should do what the real experts say who actually live this stuff. Ive read it many many times that its not IF the HGs will start giving you trouble.... its WHEN. There is one thing I dont want to do is be out in the middle of nowhere and have problems that could have been prevented. Your truck seems exceptional, and i hope you make the best decision for you.

Marinco Plug Mod
08-10 Side View Mirrors
Firestone Rear Air Bags
Harpooned/ Zoodad Mod
Redhead Steering
Leveled

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in