6.0L bulletproof - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody @ ATP Trucks View Post
May I ask who's your mechanic?

I always recommend studding the 6.0's period to customers because like said above, they can pop head gaskets bone stock and even at low mileage. It's literally a roll of the dice from what I have seen about when and where they're going to pop. My brother had a 04 6.0 with stock head bolts running a SDP tune and Gearhead's SRL++ turning 13.8's in the 1/4. That truck saw the track on a regular basis. It went to the next owner like that and stayed that way till he sold it. My 6.4 is still on factory pistons, valve train, injection pump, injectors pushing 584hp. I'm in the 100k mi range now. Have I've been lucky, maybe. Personally tuning makes all the difference in the world and consistent maintenance. Oh and never ran a FICM tune on the 6.0

We've done a couple of BDP Air to oil cooler conversions on a couple 6.0's and man I wish that was available at the when we had the 04. I'm patiently waiting for them to design one for a 6.4. Personally I think the way they desgined the oil cooler systems in the 6.0 and 6.4 was a horrible idea. That's why i'm such a big fan of BDP's kit. just my .02
There's nothing wrong with the oem oil cooler on ether the 6.4 or 6.0 it just sux where they put it bpd just came out with there new kit that relocate it, like the Ipr performance does. If I had the 6.4 I dang sure would do the relocation if the oil cooler was bad. The reason y I always tell people to do head studs when there doing a delete is bc ur Perty much half way there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323flint View Post
There's nothing wrong with the oem oil cooler on ether the 6.4 or 6.0 it just sux where they put it bpd just came out with there new kit that relocate it, like the Ipr performance does. If I had the 6.4 I dang sure would do the relocation if the oil cooler was bad. The reason y I always tell people to do head studs when there doing a delete is bc ur Perty much half way there.
Agree'd, that's what I mean by a horrible design in the system. And I do recommend studs to people as the first step in a 6.0 because like you said it's not if it's when they will go. And really, that goes for any diesel pickup out there when you start adding power to them. If a customer can't come up with the money for a stud job when he walks in our shop, i'll try to help him in other ways and warn him about popping a head gasket.

08 CCSB 6.4 617 RWHP Fuel Only Un-corrected ***SOLD**
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody @ ATP Trucks View Post
Agree'd, that's what I mean by a horrible design in the system. And I do recommend studs to people as the first step in a 6.0 because like you said it's not if it's when they will go. And really, that goes for any diesel pickup out there when you start adding power to them. If a customer can't come up with the money for a stud job when he walks in our shop, i'll try to help him in other ways and warn him about popping a head gasket.
Yea lots of people think it just the 6.0 that has headgasket problem both are 6.7 cummins are studded. Most the headgasket I've done on 6.0 that were blown the head had the micro cracks in them. The truck I did that gasket weren't gone in, the people just want stud done. Seem like the head didn't crack. I don't no if the coolant help cracking them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:36 AM

This is my shop: HOLLYROCK CUSTOMS

As I noted above: " Now that I've had a taste of the street tune, I want to try the more extreme tune, but that leaves me with the decision of the studs, and, the associated $$s, of course. " I'm leaning toward studding it, but haven't quite decided yet. may not decide until I drop it off Monday.

Cody, I think my mechanic is doing what you suggested you do for advice.

Built 4/14/03. Picked it up 4/25/03 - F-350, 6.0L, Auto, SRW, Lariat, Camper/Towing/ Pkgs, Heated Seats, upgraded TT mirrors, ESOF, reverse sensors, 2 tone (Tru blue & Arizona Beige)
SCT Livewire, SCT tunes, MKM custom tunes

Bullet proofed at 78K Miles 4/2015 with the following work done. (EGR delete, ELC coolant, blue spring, new (O rings, up pipe, alternator, coolant hoses, and belt) replaced DS valve cover, replaced oil dipstick tube, ARP studs, Ford HGs, heads magnafluxed (they were OK) turbo cleaned)
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDblackd View Post
This is my shop: HOLLYROCK CUSTOMS

As I noted above: " Now that I've had a taste of the street tune, I want to try the more extreme tune, but that leaves me with the decision of the studs, and, the associated $$s, of course. " I'm leaning toward studding it, but haven't quite decided yet. may not decide until I drop it off Monday.

Cody, I think my mechanic is doing what you suggested you do for advice.
Have you look at the oil cooler relocation yet, does sux putting out the money but it worth it if ur planning on keeping the truck.
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323flint View Post
Have you look at the oil cooler relocation yet, does sux putting out the money but it worth it if ur planning on keeping the truck.
I have, very clean and very nice install. If I had the 6.0 still, i'd invest in it for my personal pickup. If they would release something for the 6.4, i'd be very tempted to put it on my truck.

08 CCSB 6.4 617 RWHP Fuel Only Un-corrected ***SOLD**
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 PM

Guys, be easy on MDblackd. You have to remember that the '03 has far (way far) fewer issues with the EGR than later models. I know many, many '03s that are running with 200K on them, some with way more than 200K and not one HG problem. They all have towed extremely heavy on a regular basis as well.

That does not mean all '03s are automatically bulletproof if they are stock, but it does speak a lot to the core problem and the results ending in a HG issue.

I have one of the 200K plus on OEm gaskets and no studs. No issues, healthy oil cooler and have run it 200K without the Coolant filter and to be honest, have not done proper maintenance of the cooling system. Bought the truck with 25K on it and I have never changed the coolant (will remedy that soon when I flush and add my coolant filter).

My point is that I think driving style and year model are primary drivers to the issues. Not a guarantee on avoiding failures, but I think it is something to consider.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 Ford Excursion Limited
4X4, 6.0, 1/2004 Build date
Solid Black, Secret Service Look alike
Stock engine w/ EGR Delete
4" turbo back exhaust w/ Deleted Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 Ford F-250 King Ranch
4x4, 6.0, 2/04 Build Date
Chestnut Brown Metallic
Stock engine with EGR Deleted & ARP Head Studs

SCT Livewire TS from Innovative Diesel

2003 Ford Excursion Limited (Totaled 5/1/2015)
4X4, 6.0, 2/2003 Build date
Solid Black, Secret Service Look alike
Bone stock at this point
Very few issues over its life...
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 AM

Update: the truck is in the shop for bullet proofing including STUDS. All of this started due to sticky vanes due to my driving style, L'il Ole Man.

Anyway, my assumption is that I have one of the better 03s, and am just starting to see some of the early issues at 78K miles. In starting the bullet proofing I installed a SCT livewire, accidentally installed (truly) the
street Tune and got a feel of what this truck was capable. When I went back to stock the vanes were much improved.

I haven't talked to the shop owner yet, but expect him to find the Y-pipe leaking, and several minor issues due to age. Included in the ~$5K price will be new belt, hoses, Y-pipe, heads checked and machined, OEM HGs, BD or Sinister EGR delete kit (depends on what is in stock at supplier when ordered), new fluids (I provided a case of Zerex ) and a new alternator (also provided by me). My temps were good before going into shop so don't expect to need an oil cooler after flush.

In the end, I will have no qualms about taking the truck on a cross country jaunt as I did in 1st first year. On that trip it got 16.81 MPG hand calculated doing ~75-80 MPH average for ~2,200 miles.

Looking forward to getting the EXCELLENT ole truck back, and having the confidence I previously had. AT 71 I intend to get at least 10 more good years out of this ole body and the truck too. Passing it off to my Grandson is the next goal.

Built 4/14/03. Picked it up 4/25/03 - F-350, 6.0L, Auto, SRW, Lariat, Camper/Towing/ Pkgs, Heated Seats, upgraded TT mirrors, ESOF, reverse sensors, 2 tone (Tru blue & Arizona Beige)

Bullet proofed at 78K Miles 4/2015 with the following work done. (EGR delete, ELC coolant, blue spring, new (O rings, up pipe, alternator, coolant hoses, and belt) replaced DS valve cover, replaced oil dipstick tube, ARP studs, Ford HGs, heads magnafluxed (they were OK) turbo cleaned)

Last edited by MDblackd; 03-12-2015 at 08:13 AM.
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM

I would look at Ipr performance egr delete it's one peace no little blue hose to go bad

IPR EGR GEN2 Delete Kit with Up Pipe & Gaskets for all 2005-2007 Ford Powerstroke 6.0 will fit F250, F350, F450
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Update: the truck is in the shop for bullet proofing including STUDS. All of this started due to sticky vanes due to my driving style, L'il Ole Man.

Anyway, my assumption is that I have one of the better 03s, and am just starting to see some of the early issues at 78K miles. In starting the bullet proofing I installed a SCT livewire, accidentally installed (truly) the
street Tune and got a feel of what this truck was capable. When I went back to stock the vanes were much improved.

I haven't talked to the shop owner yet, but expect him to find the Y-pipe leaking, and several minor issues due to age. Included in the ~$5K price will be new belt, hoses, Y-pipe, heads checked and machined, OEM HGs, BD or Sinister EGR delete kit (depends on what is in stock at supplier when ordered), new fluids (I provided a case of Zerex ) and a new alternator (also provided by me). My temps were good before going into shop so don't expect to need an oil cooler after flush.

In the end, I will have no qualms about taking the truck on a cross country jaunt as I did in 1st first year. On that trip it got 16.81 MPG hand calculated doing ~75-80 MPH average for ~2,200 miles.

Looking forward to getting the EXCELLENT ole truck back, and having the confidence I previously had. AT 71 I intend to get at least 10 more good years out of this ole body and the truck too. Passing it off to my Grandson is the next goal.
Absolutely did the right thing. I hope you have really good luck with your new found baby. I am extremely interested in how it runs. Im putting mine in the shop in about a week after I receive another part or two. Let us know how it comes out. When will it be finished? Good luck.

2003 Ford Excursion 6.0 139,000 Miles...F-650 Dash
4-2-2015 Bulletproofing completed:
Completely Rebuilt and O-Ringed Heads.... ARP Studs....OEM Oil Cooler....RCD EGR Delete....OEM Head Gaskets....Glow Plugs....Glow Plug Harnesses....Injector O Rings....Thermostat & Housing...Valve cover, Exhaust, Intake Gaskets....Riffraff Blue Boots....Turbo drain Tube.... Sinister Oil Filter, Sinister Coolant Filter, Fumoto Valve Oil & Block....Fuel Pressure Gauge.... Coolant Temp Gauge....Oil Temp Gauge....Blue Spring....FICM.Com W/Atlas 40....Aluminum Radiator
Marinco Plug Mod
08-10 Side View Mirrors
Firestone Rear Air Bags
Harpooned/ Zoodad Mod
Redhead Steering
Leveled

"If you're lucky enough to live in Texas, you're lucky enough"
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:09 PM

Blackrod, it should be ready in ~1 week. As I said earlier, I trust my shop. As they have a 1,500 HP Duramax of his own, and work on lots of Fords. They and Fords are very popular down this way.

post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 AM

Studs and EGR

Quote:
Update: the truck is in the shop for bullet proofing including STUDS.
This is directed to the OP as much as to MDblackd...
I'm glad you are getting your studs done.
I wouldn't drive a 6.0 out of town without head studs and an EGR kit - regardless of the mileage. Ford has a history of headbolt / gasket failures that goes back decades. And Ford created this problem in the 6.0 when they modified the original VT365. The International engine does not blow head gaskets.

I'm not sure if I would do a EGR delete or a bulletbproof EGR. There are several aftermarket EGR kits that solve the leaking issue without a delete. I guess ultimately if would come down to preference and local emissions laws as to a delete or upgrade.

And, I do agree with your mechanic regarding the 6.4 vs 6.0.
One thing I see the 6.4s in the shop for all the time, and I don't see discussed, is cam shafts. And since the cam shaft has to come out of the rear of the block, it is a time-intensive (meaning expensive) repair.

01 Excursion Limited, GTP38R, 4" Down & Exhaust, Programmed, Custom Dayco 1100 RPM TC, Harpoon, ZooDad, 3-way Headlights, fog-light only / fog-light with high-beam mod, F250 rear springs w/ Bags, 30mm Rear Sway Bar, AIH Delete, IH Water Pump, 205 Thermostat, E99 (all metal) IC, 6.0 (31 Row) Trans Cooler, Nippondenso Starter, Odyssey 65-PC1750T Batteries, Motorcraft GL-360 215A Alternator
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:23 AM

Unhappy

Update status. I still do not have the truck back. Monday will be 4 weeks. When apart they found the LH valve cover to be so rusted it would not seal. It has taken til today? to get the part. Even though the truck has been ready (except for the valve cover) for well over 2 weeks, it has not left the mechanics garage. If the part does arrive today, I should get the truck tomorrow.

He lost money having the truck up on the lift for the extra time. You can guess, even though this is not my DD, a thousand needs for it have arisen in the past 4 weeks.

post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:17 AM

Smile 6.0 Upgrades To Do or Not to Do -- Do It IMHO

Greetings
As the owner of a 2006 F-350 XL i totally would move the oil cooler out of the block, it was a stupid idea and horrible design. My oil cooler ruptured the other direction and i ended up with oil whipped into the coolant system. As you can imagine getting all that out was a huge pain in the rear. I have found nothing short or very hot water mixed with simple green and a heavy duty degreaser and a product called Oil Eater.
This was by far the most extensive tear-down i have had to do, Ford says replace every rubber hose in the coolant system to resolve the issue and if i have not been so very pissed off i may have done that. it has taken me three months to get the goo out of the engine and coolant systems not to mention the money.
Even doing the work myself it was $4k to get it back to where i can turn the key. I had Maryland Diesel make the oil cooler relocation plate, external oil filter, external air / oil cooler and i did not do the EGR delete but did do the Sinister EGR cooler. my thought was that once the OEM oil cooler was remove the problem was also resolved with EGR coolers issues and i wanted the EGR functionality to assist warming the engine to proper operating temps etc.

2006 Ford F350 Super Duty 73,000 Miles a the time of repair
Blue spring upgrade
Maryland Performance Diesel (Van Housing Oil Filter)
Maryland Performance Diesel Oil Cooler Relocation Plate (No Longer available)
MKM Customs Turbo upgrade Kit (Turbo Feed Line, Stand Pipe and Drain, Dummy Plugs, etc.)
ARP Studs
Machined the Heads
Sinister Diesel EGR Cooler
OEM Head Gaskets
Summit Racing Injector Seal Kit
STC HPOP Fitting Update
Degas Bottle Cap
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Depends on where you live as to how much you can do. If you live in CA and have to get smoged it needs to be by the CA smog bible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in