Airaid Modification? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airaid Modification?

O.k. Bear with me it's kind of long.

I am modifying my Airaid intake and want to know if anyone think of a problem that might pop up as a result. I cut away all of the fiberglass in the front of the mouth, creating a ram effect, (similar to the Zoodad mod, only taken to the extreme). I then closed off the top, (the old opening), with clear lexan (SP?). For asthetics, I placed a polished Billet Ford Oval on the top of the clear Lexan, (it looks really cool). You can see the filter through the lexan, but it gets no hot air from the engine compartment. All of the air now is cool air rammed into the intake from the front.

Now to the next step. I am planning on using Technology from the PT-6 Turbo-prop intake on the Beech King air. I am going to cut a square hole on the bottom of the intake, and create a ramp on the top of the intake pointing towards the lower hole. This is called an inertial seperator. What it will do is force any heavier than air particles, rain, bugs, snow etc... to go through the bottom hole, allowing only clean fresh air to go into the filter. Sounds complicated, but it works great on Turbo prop aircraft for keeping FOD, (foreign object damage) out of the engine.

I guess I really have too much time on my hands. The intake looks great, and so far the ram air charge seems to be working great. I doubt it is creating much more power, but what the heck, it looks pretty "Hi tech". I placed a temperature gauge in the intake both ways and the temperature difference was 62 degrees. That has to make some kind of a difference. I am getting my camera back next week and will post some pictures.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Re: Airaid Modification?

Wow 85 views, and not one suggestion or comment. Is this thedieselstop.com.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 09:51 AM

DalPilot,
I was wait'n for the pics but it sounds very effective and pleasant too the eye.. I just did the zoodad and liked the improvement and while i was doing her i had the tought "what if i did this?" then reality hit and i'le wait for 100k miles... Go gett em..
j.schall

2005 f250 PSD 4x4,CC,LB Magnaflow 4" turbo back exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow 85 views, and not one suggestion or comment. Is this thedieselstop.com.

[/ QUOTE ]Did basically the same on my truck minus the fancy stuff!Works Great and even Better with a Nice Does on Methanol!I'm on 3/5 as thats all my Truck can handle now"Head bolt stretch" but when the Dope is Flowing is Stupid how my Big Ol, red truck Pulls! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

How do I post a Pick??????????? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in