Anything else I should do? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anything else I should do?

I have an 03 excursion with the 6.0 that has 140k miles on it. EGR valve is going south so I am putting an EGR delete in. While I am doing that I plan to install a new thermostat (which is currently bad), a coolant filter, switch to ELC coolant, add the blue spring upgrade, and change the oil. The flush will be done before the work starts so when I am done I can top off with ELC and be done.

Now my question, is their anything else I should do while I am that far in? I know of all the fixes that need done with the 6.0 but how many actually need done before things go south? I could do an oil cooler rebuild but my temps are fine right now. I could do studs but I have no issues with heads or gaskets. No issues with hot or even cold starts, so I don't see a need for dummy plugs and standpipe. I suppose I could upgrade to an STC fitting but is it worth going to that with no current issues?

Not sure what EGR delete kit I want to go with but my 04 F250 has the sinister diesel kit which was installed prior to me owning it and have had no issues so thought about going with that. Edit: Still researching EGR delete kits and came across this one, an IPR GEN2 EGR delete kit (https://www.iprresearch.com/IPR-GEN2...F350-F450.html) Looks like I will be going with the IPR kit.

Coolant kit will probably be from Sinister diesel to match the other truck and not have any issue with crossing filters although I would assume they are pretty universal.

Blue spring kit I plan to just get something off Amazon which seems to be the cheapest. Had looked at Sinister diesel as well for that but not sure the extra $40 is worth it just for a blue plate instead of the factory one.

I have seen where I may need to upgrade my y-pipe due to the bellows but have not seen any recommendations for a replacement so just replace if bad or is something better out there? (Will likely go with MBRP after some researching)

Hoping to get this done in the next couple weeks. Thanks in advance for the information.

Last edited by mach158; 03-20-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Add another EGR delete option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

So I did not realize all the differences the 03 6.0 has versus the rest of the years. For one no dummy plugs, just stand pipes and they are not a known issue so I will not bother with them.

Also the fittings in the HPOP were not an issue in 03 like 2004 and later so I will not bother with that. I had contemplated replacing the hpop screen to a more heavy duty screen and doesn't seem like a bad idea. My question is does the reservoir use the same gasket as the hpop cover or does it use a different one as I can't seem to find one for the reservoir cover and I thought they were different.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:23 AM

When I bulletproofed my early build 2003 engine in my '04 F250 KR, I did the head studs and gaskets, so was that deep into the motor. Since I was there, I upgraded all the oil seals with the Teflon Ring backed seals, including the High Press oil rails, Injector cups, Injectors, HPOP, and all oil related fittings. I also added the upgraded Turbo drain tube, added an IPR remote coolant filter, IPR remote Oil Cooler, BPD Billet Water Pump (stocker has plastic impellar..!), upgraded the Turbo (again), replaced the Injector Harness, a 58 Volt FICM, replaced both CMP and CKP Sensors which were leaking oil (blown O-rings), and installed an Updated PCM with all the latest Flash Software (from Flagship One)...
That was in 2015 when the truck had 81K on it, and the engine (the 2nd) actually only had 50k on it... Since then, I had to replace the PS pump and all lines; replaced a blown Intercooler with a Mishimoto and all CAC Tubes/Boots (stockers wore out); replaced a blown passenger side up-pipe (blown bellows); replaced 3 CMP Sensors & CMP Pigtail; replaced the MAP sensor; replaced the stock Alternator with a 270 AMP DC Power Alt plus all the battery wiring was upgraded; replaced the EGR Valve; replaced 2 Optima batteries with 2 Bosche AGM batts (3rd set of batts now), replaced the Transmission Temp Sensor (failed), and just spent the past 2 weeks troubleshooting engine harness chafing which will lead to replacing the engine harness in a few weeks... I also have the dreaded P132B Code which means my Turbo's VGT vanes might be sticking or I have an intake or exhaust leak... The point being, it's always something on these 6.0's, especially the early build 2003 POS... If you plan to keep your 6.0, I'd highly recommend getting a Scangauge II to monitor PID's, and buy the AutoEnginuity Software with Ford bundle and put it on a laptop so you can diagnose issues which are bound to pop up. Or, you could cut your losses now and dump the 6.0 altogether... Remember that advice if you plan to keep it, and don't say you weren't warned... Good Luck..!

'04 F250 KR - '14 F350 Lariat -

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I already have all the parts I am going to be putting on otherwise I would be sending ya a PM. I'll remember that for future parts though.

I understand the faults of the 6.0 engine and have come to understand a lot about the engine, however, I sure do have more to learn. I own two, an 03 excursion with 6.0 and 140k miles and an 04 f250 with the 6.0 and 155k miles. I have no issue putting money into them knowing that when treated right and maintenance done on a regular basis they will last a long time. I don't plan to run any tunes for higher power or going in with big parts hoping for more power. I'm happy with the power it has and it seems if you stick with the stock numbers, problems aren't as big an issue. I do understand they still can be though.

I appreciate the input and glad you provided it because having not done research before buying a 6.0 and understanding the faults I would surely be looking at things differently.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 AM

Knowing what you may be in for with the 6.0 is a good start. I keep a printout in my truck (How to troubleshoot a 6.0 No-Start) and always travel with my laptop with AE loaded on it so I can troubleshoot no-starts, etc. Mine has left me stranded more than a few times, and the only thing I can rely on it for, is to be un-reliable... Maybe yours will give you better service... No one should have to constantly struggle to keep any engine running after what we pay for these things... Best of luck to you..

'04 F250 KR - '14 F350 Lariat -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in