App: Torque 6.0L - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
App: Torque 6.0L

Looking for folks who run the Torque App on their 6.0L. I've recently purchased the full version of this and would like to compare my experiences on it with my 6.0L brethren. I have yet to modify any predefined PIDs listed for Ford(including Powerstroke). The extended PIDs listed under that category are:
-Coolant Temperature(From TCM)
-FICM Main Power
-FICM Logic Power
-FICM Vehicle Power
-Fan Speed Sensor
-Injection Control Pressure
-Fuel Pump Duty Cycle
-Engine Oil Temp
-Transmission Fluid Temp (Method 1)
-Transmission Fluid Temp (Method 2)
-VGT Duty Cycle
-Fuel Level
-Volume Fuel Desired
-Injector Pressure Regulator Duty Cycle
-Throttle Position (Desired)
-Throttle Position (Actual)
-Torque into Torque Converter
-IAT2
-Exhaust Back Pressure
-Battery Voltage
-Mass Fuel Desired
-Transmission Gear
-Transmission Gear (Method 2)
-Accelerator Pedal Position
-Injector Timing Before Top Dead Center
-Fuel Injector Pulse Width
-Cylinder 1 Misfire Count
-Cylinder 2 Misfire Count
-Cylinder 3 Misfire Count
-Cylinder 4 Misfire Count
-Cylinder 5 Misfire Count
-Cylinder 6 Misfire Count
-Cylinder 7 Misfire Count
-Cylinder 8 Misfire Count
-Total Number of Misfires
-Cylinder Head Temperature
-Cylinder Head Temperature (alt)
-Fuel Tank Pressure
-ABS Wheel Speed 1
-ABS Wheel Speed 2
-ABS Wheel Speed 3
-ABS Wheel Speed 4
-ABS Lateral Acceleration
-Steering Wheel Angle
-Torque Converter Slip
-Map (Ford Specific)
-Boost (Ford Specific)

These are all the Ford specific extended PIDs listed on the Torque App and not all of these PIDs are for Powerstrokes. HOWEVER when combined with the set of canned PIDs on the app, it comes to a total of 177 PIDs. There is a wealth of information that this app has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Yep. And that and my $23 BT OBDII dongle is exactly what I use to monitor the "important" stuff.

post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 AM

That's a neat app. Do you know if it's available for iPhone's yet?

Scott

SOLD -- 2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately there is no support for iPhone with the Torque Pro app. I too run an iPhone as my main source of cellular communications, but I keep an old LG android as a dedicated monitor for my 6.0L. I don't even have data on that device. The way I see it, I wouldn't want facebook notifications, text msgs, phone calls, etc. getting in the way of my monitoring/view.

But it is by far, the least expensive way to monitor/diagnosis/logging/clear codes that is on the diesel market. I use the BAFX bluetooth scan tool, I purchased from Amazon(I'm just as dedicated to Amazon as I am to the Torque app) for under $25. Surf the android market for Torque Pro and it cost $5, its worth the investment because its like night and day from the free edition of Torque. So for $30 bucks you have a WIRELESS and TRANSFERABLE monitoring device, as opposed to the bandwagon of monitoring, an Edge Insight CTS. Now I'm not bad mouthing the CTS by any means, in fact I've never owned one but I have owned other monitors for the 6.0L and this one seems just as reliable if not better. Well what about customer support? I'm glad you asked because there is no customer support for Torque, but there IS however a dedicated forum just for Torque users and that is what has made the app what it is today. And I don't know about you, but I'd much rather converse with people who use the app on a day to day basis than be on the phone with a tech who probably doesn't even own a diesel. All things aside, I'm not bashing the other monitors on the market, I'm just suggesting a more affordable alternative to newer owners of 6.0's who aren't currently monitoring these parameters and to those who want to know their options. That all I got.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

This is one of my layouts, you can totally customize the location, size, & style of each gauge. (Mind you this photo was shot, within 5 minutes of start up)
You can also swipe between 6 or 7 different screens to have your layouts on, and it automatically adjust from portrait to landscape when you rotate the device.
So you can imagine how a tablet would come in handy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	6385
Size:	615.5 KB
ID:	38769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	12504
Size:	630.8 KB
ID:	38777  

'05 F250 Lariat 4x4 / Torque Pro / ARPs w/OEM HGs / Banks Ram-Air / Banks High-Ram Intake / Banks 4" Monster Exhaust(Muffler Delete) / Banks Techni-Cooler Intercooler / Sinister Coolant Filter Kit / Pace Edwards electronic bedlocker / stock wheels & tires / LED bulb conversion
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 01:03 PM

And... Torque Pro will allow you to create multiple vehicle "profiles", with specific displays and monitors for each one.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 PM

They need to come up with a way to make it expandable to display readings from non-factory sensors, most notably EGT and fuel pressure. Right now that's the big advantage that Edge has over this app.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Point well made TK, there are pros and cons to either one. But for whats offered here, you can't beat it for $30, and its much more reliable than sticking with the idiot gauges(instrumentation cluster). For the EGT it's just matter of time before some PSD guru comes up with some kind of thermocouple harness that is integrated with a factory OBD2 port. And some sort of pressure indicator harness for the fuel pressure. Thanks for your feedback!

'05 F250 Lariat 4x4 / Torque Pro / ARPs w/OEM HGs / Banks Ram-Air / Banks High-Ram Intake / Banks 4" Monster Exhaust(Muffler Delete) / Banks Techni-Cooler Intercooler / Sinister Coolant Filter Kit / Pace Edwards electronic bedlocker / stock wheels & tires / LED bulb conversion
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

And in all actually Torque Pro is setup to monitor EGT, there must be some vehicle in the Ford line that has a Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor, perhaps the newer Powerstroke's have this equipped at stock. Out of the 177 PIDs that Torque monitors on the predefined Ford list, 2 of them a dedicated to EGT which are label Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 & Exhaust Gas Temperature 2.

4x4Given, how long have you been using this app? Are there any issues you've had with it?

post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM

I've been using Torque for about a year with an ObdLink BT adaptor. I'm also using an old (inactivated phone) for it. Right now I'm only monitoring EOT, ECT, and FMP. It works well. Occasionally my adapter doesn't get a good read on the PCM and I'll have to shut the truck down, kill the Torque app, and then start over (happened 3-4 times in the last 6 mos including today). It's really handy when warming the truck up in the morning. Can sit in the house and know when the truck gets to temp. The app also has a HUD option which works very well at night. I got an email from OBDLink a while back that indicated they are working on developing a WiFi version of the adapter that will allow iPhone use. Seems Apple won't allow the ELM327 BT adapters to connect. I'm pretty sure that the iOS version of Torque already exists.
It's also handy to always have a scan tool with you that will work on virtually anything.
As for support, in looking at the forum, the developer is constantly monitoring and addressing issues directly with the users. His only limitation seems to be not having immediate access to all makes/models of vehicles.

2006 F-350 King Ranch 6.0; Banks Ram-Air; EGR Delete; 4" exhaust; Banks 6-Gun (non funct after EGR Delete); 20" Wheels.
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM

So let me ask you non-iPhone guys a question....Would it be possible to buy a cheap Droid phone, like one of those pay as you go deals. Pay for one-month (or however it works) of service, get the app, let the service expire, and run the app?

Or would it be possible to download the app to the phone via a computer? and not have to mess with a short-term service?

Scott

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 PM

No need for service. Get the phone, sign into it (all android devices require a google account ie: gmail) You can use wi-fi for the sign in. Then go to the play store and download the app.

2006 F-350 King Ranch 6.0; Banks Ram-Air; EGR Delete; 4" exhaust; Banks 6-Gun (non funct after EGR Delete); 20" Wheels.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 AM

Sweet, thanks. I was also looking at the Engine Link app that's compatible with the iPhone. Apparently you can use the Torque app PIDs, or any PID for that matter, with it. Might give it a shot.

Scott

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

dieselmac,
if you decide to go that route let us know. I'm sure we'll be more than willing to share the extended PIDs formulas with you and anyone else for that matter. With that being noted, fellow PSD Torque users including myself will need to collaborate with one another to separate the Powerstroke 6.0L PIDs from the other Ford predefined list because there are multiple versions of certain PIDs. Example, there is a Transmission Fluid Temp (Method 1) & Transmission Fluid Temp (Method 2) and also there is a Transmission Gear & Transmission Gear (Method 2) and there are several cases of parameter differences like these. Sometime today or tomorrow I will try to list all 177 PIDs that Torque Pro combined with the predefined Ford list has to offer.

RedStagg,
you are absolutely correct that there is no need for data/voice services in order for this app to work as a monitor. There are however certain features where the Torque Pro app can utilize the data. From the main screen of Torque there is an icon listed as "Map View" which is a library of times/trips that Torque records and saves. From a 2-D map POV, it shows when and where you accelerated and decelerated, along with the exact miles and time spent driving.
There are also very few canned PIDs where TP(Torque Pro) again utilizes data and those are identified with the words (GPS) out to the side of them. So there are a few ways that a person "could" utilize data from this app, but it is not required. I myself do not use these features that need data in order to operate. As for the OBDLink not getting a good read, it might be the adapter, just my suggestion and not saying its a bad brand, could just be that certain device. Do you leave it plugged in/powered or remove and reinsert frequently. I unplug mine every time I step away from my truck.

When it comes to the iPhone, Apple should make a bootcamp-like feature that allows you to partition the iPhone and install an Android OS on it. That would come in handy.

post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM

My Photos: (1)
Also, I find the Torque App to be a MUCH better code reader than the Edge Insight.

2005 F-250 6.0
4" Straight Pipe, CCV Reroute, Coolant Filter, Sinister EGR, Insight Monitor, SCT X3 (Tuned by Innovative)
Blue Spring, Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in