Better way to mod CCV? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Better way to mod CCV?

I've spent countless hours tryin' to find a better way to do the CCV mod. My buddy want to dump it under the truck like his. I don't want to do it this way nor do I want to trust a homemade filter as if it clogs and I don't notice I'll blow a valve cover, oil pan or bed plate seal. I was thinking about runnin it thru this air oil separator JEGS 52205 Air Oil Separator - eBay (item 200541357880 end time Dec-08-10 20:22:04 PST)

The only problem is that it only has 1/4 inch inlet and outlet ports which are considerably smaller than the 1 inch ( I think thats right) hoses on the truck. I can't seem to find one with the larger inlet and oulets that isn't $350 plus. The unit in question does have a 150psi rating which is significantly higher than any pressure runnin thru now, but if I choke the hose down to 1/4 inch the pressure will increase by 300%, right? I figure at most right now theres probably 5-7 psi at the CCV, so after this mod I'd be at 28psi max thru the filter? then if I opened it back up to 1ich before returning to the intake, I'd be back to 5-7psi with clean non-oily air flow. If anyone has any suggestios on this, please don't hesitate. I am not an engineer and am only speculating that this is a better way. I want to do this mod to keep my intercooler clean, but can't justify spending all the cash on the BD diesel kit. Thanks for the help guys.

06 F250 XL, FX4, Upfitters, TBC, 15% window tint, 3.73's, Muffler delete, Cat delete, Fumoto valve, High idle mod, Zoodad mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, ARP studs, SCT Livewire w/ Looney Wild DD Tune, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Ford Blue spring upgrade, 6.4l Banjo Bolts, Upgraded turbo boots, Upgraded HFCM drain plug, Quick Tricks 58 volt FICM, S&B CAI, Monitoring EOT, ECT, EGT, IAT, Voltage and RPM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Horsepower is like a gun; You may not always need it, but it's nice to know its there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 PM

CCV MOD

I know a company that has both open and closed systems in there final testing phase. I will let you know more info when availble.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

OK, I'll bite. What company? Do you have any idea about price? The price is the reason I'm looking to build my own instead of spending $320 on the BD diesel kit. I would really like you to elaborate on this company and their product.

06 F250 XL, FX4, Upfitters, TBC, 15% window tint, 3.73's, Muffler delete, Cat delete, Fumoto valve, High idle mod, Zoodad mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, ARP studs, SCT Livewire w/ Looney Wild DD Tune, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Ford Blue spring upgrade, 6.4l Banjo Bolts, Upgraded turbo boots, Upgraded HFCM drain plug, Quick Tricks 58 volt FICM, S&B CAI, Monitoring EOT, ECT, EGT, IAT, Voltage and RPM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Horsepower is like a gun; You may not always need it, but it's nice to know its there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:28 AM

The pressure won't make it to 20+psi. Something else will give way long before that. I think the CC is only designed to handle about 5psi.

So, when sizing a separator, the question you have to ask is what volume (cfm) will the separator pass at a given pressure (say 2 psi in our case). Racor has some pretty good literature out there on CC ventilation and have come up with 10cfm as a good rate for our engines (up to 400HP).

I've been looking at the Jegs separator, also. The biggest issues I have with it are: 1) What volume can it handle? I suspect it can't handle 10cfm at low pressures, 2) It just doesn't look sturdy enough to survive our under-the-hood environment, and 3) how efficient is it?

Unfortunately, I'm coming to the conclusion that there's not a cheap way to do this mod with a non-DIY filter/separator. For my money and peace of mind, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with a Racor CCV 4500. It has a pressure regulator to keep pressure on the CC relatively stable, a visual indicator the element needs changing, and a bottom drain you can pipe to a collection pot. You can get them for about $215 on Ebay. Now all I have to do is get my business case together and present it to the treasurer, errr wife, for funding approval. Maybe I'll look at the diy mod a little more.....................lol

Scott

SOLD -- 2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I heard that. My "Treasurer" is getting tired of the "necessary overhead" on this vehicle. You should have seen her face when I turned in my $100 oil and filter receipt for the first oil change, then the $120 for the coolant filter,$26 for Fumoto valve, and the $570 for the Livewire. I just told her that I was changing the coolant from the Ford Gold to Fleetrite ELC and she didn't even ask how much. She just shook her head and asked if it could wait till after all the Christmas shopping was done.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I found this one the other day looks like 3/4 hose but the fitting could bee changed to 1"
Steeda 555-3710 Steeda Oil Separator

Jotto desk / laptop / printer for giving estimates
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Someone brought this to my attention in another post. I'm gonna look into it. I do like the Steeda Air-Oil separator. CCV Mod

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:42 AM

I found one for under $150 bucks online, here's the link to the item....seems like it would work for a vehicle even though it's advertised for a paint booth setup....

What do you all think? Why would or wouldnt it work??

Air Compressor Moisture & Oil Filter Separator Kit - eBay (item 370465107099 end time Dec-16-10 15:12:35 PST)

*** 2005 Ford 6.0, Darth Vadar Edition ***
ALL Black Exterior on ALL Black Interior, Leather Upholstery & Carbon Fiber Door Paneling
Volant 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
RCD EGR Delete, Bank 6-Gun w/ Power PDA + SpeedLoader, Banks High Ram Intake Elbow, ZOODAD, Lubrication Specialties: HOT SHOT & NT Oil Additive, FIRE POWER Diesel Fuel Additive, K&N Cold Air Intake custom tweaked to close off open airbox.

*** 2001 Ford 6.7L V10, High Rollin Edition ***
ALL AROUND Custom Truck
Fully adjustable custom home made 4-Link Air Ride Suspension- 12"-28" of lift, Custom F-O-A Shocks w/ Resivoirs, One used as a Steering Stabalizer, (2) Viair 450C Air Compressors, (3) 5 Gallon Viair Air Tanks, Electronic Air System w/ Remote
Interior: Orange & Silver Two-Tone Katzkin Leather Seats, In Dash Pioneer Navigation w/ iPhone Bluetooth Integrated, (4) 12" Rockford Fosgate Subwoofers behind rear bench seat, (2) 15" Flip Down DVD/Video Screens in rear, (2) 10" Sunvisor Screens

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in