Egr cooler/bypass Delete?? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey simonl - can you tell me the name of the shop in Carlisle, PA? I live in northern VA and am considering getting the EGR delete kit and having it installed professionally.

Does anyone recommend a 6.0L diesel shop in the DC area. Carlisle is only a couple hours away but someone closer would be preferred if they are of the same expertise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harley Davidson F-350, SCT Custom Tunes, MBRP Turbo-back Cool Duals T-304, Zoodad, Velvet Ride Shackles, Shaker 500 upgrade w/Dynamat Xtreme, Sirius Sportster 5, 15" Flip Down w/DVD player, Mag Hytec Tranny and Front/Rear Diff. Covers, Amsoil for oil, tranny and gears, Super Blue Racing Brake fluid, Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System, Texaco EC-1 ELC, Edge Insight, RCD EGR Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 PM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilbur516 View Post
With the SCT you can choose to turn the EGR off as one of the user options. I run the Livewire from Innovative Diesel and Watch my Voltage (just as important as anything else!), EOT, ECT, RPM, and soon the EGT. After warranty expires I will do the total EGR delete. I agree that exhaust gas belongs in the exhaust system, and not the intake. Also, get a coolant filter! This is a must for these trucks.
So I was looking at the coolant filters, and those can-type filters that some of them use look an awful lot like can-type oil filters. Maybe (probably) a stupid question, but could you use a cheap can-type oil filter in your coolant filter kit?

2004 F350 6.0 PSD, Long Box SRW Crew Cab FX4
Completely stock, minus the EGR
320,000 miles so far
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 AM

Hi Dougmount,
The shop that did my work was Liberator Performance EGR Cooler Delete . I felt that they were very knowledgeable, and didn't mind taking the time to answer ALL of my questions....I am the type of fellow that has alot of questions! On his reccomendation, I had them change the oil cooler at the same time, just becauseit was right there and accessable while they had it all apart.

05 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 DRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM

My Photos: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyFreeman View Post
So I was looking at the coolant filters, and those can-type filters that some of them use look an awful lot like can-type oil filters. Maybe (probably) a stupid question, but could you use a cheap can-type oil filter in your coolant filter kit?
Why would you want to? Coolant filters are about $8 each. Wix 24070 & Napa 4070 Coolant Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

Furthermore, coolant filter heads don't have the same filter threads as oil filter heads (11/16"-16 vs. 3/4"-16 typically).

Lastly, the internal filtering elements may or may not be the same for those designed for oil vs coolant.

So, wanna run by us why you're willing to risk a +$5K engine to save *maybe* $2 or so?

'06 F-350 SRW 6.0 PSD
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 PM

I bought my EGR delete kit from River City Diesel, installed the coolant filter kit from Dieselsite and got rid of the Motorcraft Gold in favor of Fleetrite ELC. I also had the shop that did the install gut and reinstall the cat so I pass visual, if Texas ever decides to implement emissions in my area. I had this done about a year ago and have had ZERO issues with the truck since. My mileage improved slightly, but nothing to do backflips over. The spoolup on my turbo has increased, although again nothing to get excited about. I can't attest to lower EGTs, because I still haven't put gauges in the truck yet; that will come with my tax return money next year. Overall, I am very happy with the mods I made to the truck.

Fred

2004 F-350 CC DRW LB FX4 4x4
Oxford White/Arizona Beige
King Ranch
2012 Ford bed w/Factory Reese hitch option
4.10 TracLok
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
IH Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
43,956 miles - Replaced 6.0L
54,814 miles - Turbo
94,943 miles - Fan clutch
98,755 miles - FICM
127,057 miles - Aftermarket Alternator
154,120 miles - HPOP & Oil Cooler
168,514 miles - Radiator, water pump, t-stat & hoses
178,810 mles - #7 injector
181,807 miles - A/C Compressor
199,458 miles - Motorcraft Alternator
199,506 miles - FICM
199,521 miles - #1, #4, #8 injectors
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM

I am looking for the same setup. I want to add a coolant filter and get rid of the EGR (or at least block it off). Can anyone tell me if there is a place close to Oklahoma that does this work, specifically OKC? Also, what is the advantage/disadvantage to removing the EGR or putting in a blocker plate (and where can i get a blocker plate if no diff)? Is the coolant filter still necessary to install if the EGR is gone or blocked? Also what kind of dollar figure are you all talking about to remove an EGR and install a "bulletproof EGR" or complete delete? Finally I am a pretty mechanically inclined person, but how hard is the EGR delete process for the average person with average tools and little time??? Thanks to all.

2005 F-250, FX4 PSD, SCT custom tunes from DP Tuners, Bully Dog Outlook Monitor, 4" MBRP Turbo back exhaust, Coolant Filter Kit, wrapped in Ranch Hand Replacements, stock tires and rims (4 now), 135K and counting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adding: 2 Alpine 12s, 500W Amp, air bags with onboard airtank, Moto Metal Rims, EGR Delete, Rotella ELC coolant
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM

The kit I got from River City Diesel included the block-off plate for the EGR hole in the intake manifold, as well as a new stainless up-pipe to replace the stock up-pipe, rather put a block-off plate on it. Their rationale to me was that they've seen block-off plates on the stock up-pipes warp from heat...made sense to me. Installing the coolant filter is just good common sense, given the track record of the oil coolers getting clogged up.

Including the price of the kit and seven hours of labor to install it, I paid about $1100 total. I installed the coolant filter kit from Dieselsite myself; it took me about an hour, and I took my time to make sure I didn't screw up.

Fred

2004 F-350 CC DRW LB FX4 4x4
Oxford White/Arizona Beige
King Ranch
2012 Ford bed w/Factory Reese hitch option
4.10 TracLok
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
IH Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
43,956 miles - Replaced 6.0L
54,814 miles - Turbo
94,943 miles - Fan clutch
98,755 miles - FICM
127,057 miles - Aftermarket Alternator
154,120 miles - HPOP & Oil Cooler
168,514 miles - Radiator, water pump, t-stat & hoses
178,810 mles - #7 injector
181,807 miles - A/C Compressor
199,458 miles - Motorcraft Alternator
199,506 miles - FICM
199,521 miles - #1, #4, #8 injectors
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 PM

I got a kit from elite diesel engineering that deleted the cooler and blocked off the valve, I welded the up pipe. I have been running that for about five thousand miles, no complaints. It isn't all that difficult to install but it takes some time and patience. Here are instructions from gillette diesel who also makes good kits.
http://www.gillettdiesel.com/Tech%20...stroke%206.pdf

F-250 4x4 ex cab
MBRP 4" Turbo Back
ARP studs/Black Onyx gaskets
SCT X3 tunes by Innovative Diesel
Deletes by Elite Diesel
Autometer Z-series Guages
(Boost,EGTs,Trans, Fuel Press.)
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albin View Post
Why would you want to? ...
It's not that I would want to. I haven't really done a lot of research on coolant filters yet but from what I did see they look like they would be real simple to build with readily available parts. Just didn't know how cheap / available the real filters were. Thanks for the info

2004 F350 6.0 PSD, Long Box SRW Crew Cab FX4
Completely stock, minus the EGR
320,000 miles so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in