EGR Delete Options - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete Options

I'm thinking about doing a EGR delete on a 2006 6.0L and coolant filter. What brands are recommended? Also what are some of the known issues with the delete on a 2006 6.0. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:24 PM

Far as I know doing the delete you eliminate alot of problems. While your in there I would get oil cooler upgrade or oil cooler relocate kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 AM

There is no downside to deleting on an '06. I would recommend the kit from IPR. Its a really well though out kit. Here's a link to it on their site:

https://www.iprresearch.com/IPR-GEN2...F350-F450.html

As far as what else to do while you are in there, I would suggest a turbo cleaning, because the turbo has to come off anyway. I would also highly recommend replacing the stock Y-pipe. Once you remove the EGR cooler as a point of support the bellows in the RH leg of the pipe will fail, and you'll have soot going everywhere and excessive turbo lag. MPD builds modified Y-pipes on an exchange basis. They eliminate the factory bellows in favor of stainless steel flex couplings that will not fail. You may have to modify the heat shield on the LH side to ensure enough clearance for a proper merge collector to turbo seal though, because the new coupling is bigger than the factory connection and typically interferes with that heat shield making a tight merge collector to turbo seal impossible. A few whacks with a hammer solves it pretty simply. Also, change the hot side CAC boots; they typically last 5-6 years before they start to crack and fail causing boost leaks.

Concerning the oil cooler, there is no upgrade. I would only recommend new OEM, and the OEM cooler, despite internet gossip, carries an '03 part number indicating that it has never been "improved" by Ford. Aftermarket coolers are junk, and there are numerous posts about guys who ended up with higher ECT/EOT deltas AFTER the swap than they had before.

The relocation kits are IMO a solution in search of a problem. These kits cost $1,500-$2,500, and there are problems with them over cooling the oil in winter if you live where it gets cold. There are also ECT spikes that can result from these coolers, which can be tuned out, but considering what you're spending on these kits this should not be an issue.

The factory OC does a great job. The issue is not the OC; the issue is the coolant Ford uses, the lack of a coolant filter, and the junk left in the cooling jacket from the casting process. My advice would be to install a coolant filter, change the filter after 1 month, then after 3 months, then do a thorough system flush, refill with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and a CAT EC-1 rated ELC, and then swap the OC. This ensures that you don't just clog a new cooler.

I've got 207k on the clock and swapped the OC once, and it really didn't need it; I was just being cautious. A factory OC kit from Auto Nation runs less than $300 shipped.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s

Last edited by TKOPerformance; 09-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Garage
hello, which coolant filter should I choose? is the ipr coolant filter ok? Should I install a bypass filter or a inline filter?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 PM

The IPR system is really nice and well engineered. I use a bypass style filter from Sinister. Its not going to trap as much stuff as a full flow, but its what I've used for several years now with no issues.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
Hello,
I would like to hear your opinion about this EGR delete.

https://www.iprresearch.com/IPR-GEN3...F350-F450.html

Apparently there are problems with it because it leaks over time, is that right? Has anyone installed in his 6.0?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:14 PM

I don't see how or where its going to leak. If it leaks the factory EGR cooler will leak too, as it bolts up to the same places. The full flow coolant filter is a big deal, because you are actually filtering all the coolant instead of just part of it as with most bypass style filters. I'd buy this kit in a heartbeat.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:32 PM

Garage
I would like to buy it, unfortunately iprresearch does not respond to my mail request
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohn29 View Post
I'm thinking about doing a EGR delete on a 2006 6.0L and coolant filter. What brands are recommended? Also what are some of the known issues with the delete on a 2006 6.0. Thanks in advance.
I just did an EGR delete on my 05' F250.

I used one of the EGR delete kits from egrdeletekits.com...........it seemed to fit ok, and the quality of the welds seemed good.

You will need a tuner to turn off you EGR, or you will probably get a check engine light. As far as the coolant filter......I picked up an IPR filter kit. a little pricey, but I've heard they are the best.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:47 AM

Garage
Which Tuner do you have? I want to buy an Edge CTS 2 Pro from gearhead with a tune. I additional want to monitor fuel pressure and coolant pressure .
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwig View Post
Which Tuner do you have? I want to buy an Edge CTS 2 Pro from gearhead with a tune. I additional want to monitor fuel pressure and coolant pressure .
I run an SCT X4. I also have the Torque PRO app on an old smart phone that lets me monitor everything....works really well, and was cheap! As far as fuel pressure, you will need a separate gauge/sender for that.....the motor doesn't have a fuel pressure sensor on it.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 AM

Edge tuning is junk. If you like your transmission stay far, far away.

SCT is what all the good tuners use. Custom tunes from Innovative or Gearhead are your best choice.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 AM

Garage
hello,
ich will order the Edge with a tune from Gearhead. I hope this works
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwig View Post
hello,
ich will order the Edge with a tune from Gearhead. I hope this works
Like other have said...I've heard that the EDGE tuners eat transmissions. Everyone seems to love the SCT tuners........just something to think about. I'm running the Innovative Diesel tunes.....but even the street, performance, and towing tunes that come with the SCT are really great!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM

Garage
hm, I only want to order a soft tune at Gearhead (only to clear the ECL), I dont want more power.

By the way, that's what you get when you order an EGR kit from the allegedly best US Ford garage in Germany. The "one piece part" is from USA

find the mistake:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in