The Diesel Stop banner

Extreme X tune VS Tony wildman tune

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TKOPerformance 
#1 ·
Currently running the IDP extreme x tune on my 05 studded truck

Looking for alittile more out of a tune before i go looking into injectors and new turbo

Head good things about Tony wildmans extreme tune anyone know the hp and has anyone run them both....

Also the shop that does my work told me to be care or just not upgrade my injectors at all.... Do to alot of after market injectors not being great... Any truth to that

And the power max turbo guys have been loosing a noticeable about of low end power...

How would upgrading my internal turbo wheel do?

#2 ·
No such thing. You're maxed at the safe level now. The only way to make more power would be to add timing, which is going to lift a head even with studs.

Injectors are fine so long as you stick with a reliable, reputable company. The problem is that there are a lot of cheap (relatively) injectors out there and guys end up with issues trying to save a couple hundred bucks. Casserly is who I'd use.

PMax is fine. The lag comes from not tuning the FICM. With an Atlas 40 in the FICM there is no lag. My truck has less lag than stock. You have to keep the injectors within reason though. 175s are going to max a PMax. If you want more you're going to have to go to a bigger turbo, and lag will rear its ugly head again.

#3 ·
so if i do a pmax with 155cc injectors and an atlas 40 i would be in good shape... I dont wanna do to far cuz its still my daily driver / work truck

So is there any real differance between tony's tune and the IDP im using now

#4 · (Edited)
There is a difference in everyone's tunes, everyone's truck reacts different to them too. The only way to tell is try them. Buy some different tunes from different companies and see which one runs best on your truck.

If I were to up grade my injectors I would buy them from Full Force diesel. They cost more but are worth it.

I put the Wicked Wheel in my stock turbo and I like it. Dieselsite uses a dual plane wheel where as others use a single plane wheel. Some will say one is better then the other but I've never seen any data to back up claims.
Personally I wouldn't pull the turbo just to do this mod, I did it because I had to change out my up pipes because they were cracked. But I am very happy with the Wicked Wheel.

#5 ·
Chasing power by switching tunes isn't going to get you anywhere. Sure there are differences, but what you have to realize is that trying to get max performance you are fuel limited. A stock injector flows about 135cc. You have a timing window into which to inject fuel. Once the injectors are flowing all the fuel they can into that window you cannot make any more power. The only other option is to try and lengthen the window by running more timing, but timing can radically alter cylinder pressure. The good 6.0 tuners all know what is safe by now. At your request they may write you a race tune with a few more degrees of timing in it to get every last horsepower from your engine, but its a tradeoff that can have disastrous consequences (like hole in a piston, trashed block consequences). My point is that it isn't like any of these guys have found ways to skirt the laws of physics and chemistry. Your truck may run better or shift better with a different tuner's tune, but any change in power is likely negligible. You may improve the finer points of how the truck runs and drives, but you aren't going to go from 425HP to 500HP. The limitation is the ability of the factory injectors to flow fuel.

You are also going to get high EGT with a stock turbo, wheel or not. Wheels can alter spool characteristics, and move the power band around, but they can't make the turbo bigger. The stock turbo is out of breath on a stock truck once the fuel system has been maxed. You will need to either back off the power to keep from melting a piston, or make some other improvements to keep your EGT in line.

BTW, Ryan Casserly works for Full Force, so that's who I am recommending too if you buy injectors. And 155s and a PMax with an Atlas 40 and a good PCM tune will be a nice combination. That should get you to the 450-475HP mark at the wheels. If you've got to crack 500 you'll need 175s, but EGT control will become an issue again.

#6 ·
Yes the 450 to 475 range would be awesome.. I still have to use it for would and pulling from time to time... Now when i switch over my tow tune will anything be effected? And the PCM tune still confuses me alittle that for the Ficm correct?

#7 ·
Switching to a two tune won't affect anything, other than you're going to trade some power for safe EGT. Once you switch injectors you'll need dedicated tunes, because the injector now flows more fuel, so the pulsewidth needs to be tweak throughout the fueling map to avoid overfueling and smoking at idle and low RPM.

The FICM controls turbo response and injection events commanded to an extent by the PCM. Think of PCM tuning as top end power tuning and FICM tuning as mid range and low end tuning. By tuning both you get a balanced truck throughout the RPM range. Good throttle response and big power up top. However, there is some fueling overlap, so when running PCM tuning do not go hotter that the Atlas 40 in the FICM, otherwise you'll get higher EGT with no benefit in power.

#8 ·
A little off topic but i have innovatives extreme street and x on my x4. Is the x's shifting and early lock up bad for the trans? Seems to shift pretty hard.

#9 ·
Adjust the shift firmness in the User Adjustable Options menu in the tuner. I've had the same issues. The tune gets it close, but you may have to tweak it a little to get a crisp shift instead of a harsh shift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.