Good idea or bad ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:27 PM

Good idea or bad ?

Looking at the stock catalytic converter, then comparing in my head to an aftermarket 4" exhaust...........it seems the cat pipe size will be a restriction in a turbo back system.
Being as the cat pipe flares out to past 4 inches where it enters/exits the converter......can I cut the cat delete pipe with the aftermarket kit and cut the cat pipe where it expands to the same diameter then re-weld the pieces together.
I am a certified welder and welding the stainless is no problem.
Seems this would fix the restriction the stock pipe would cause and allow my aftermarket kit to have all the flow it needs as well as keep the volume down like I want.
Any thoughts on this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:19 PM

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Good idea or bad ?

if you are getting a turbo back system, the kit will come on many pieces. im pretty sure most kits include a piece the size of the cat so you can run either the cat, or the straight 4" pipe. the cat is a definite restriction and should really be ditched unless youve got to pass smog tests. if a little more sound doesnt bother you, smog tests are the only reason you should keep it...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 06:45 AM

My Photos: (34)

The cat is 4" inside, I cut the ends off of mine and rewelded to eliminate the restriction...

GW

2000 F250 SuperCab Shortbed- 7.3 w/157k, auto, manual transfer case & hubs... Flo-Pro 4" ss exhaust, 2" lift front & rear, 18" HD edition wheels w/295-70-18 Nitto's...
1990 7.3 w/97k & '91 ZF 5 speed, planning to put in a 1982 F350 frame with a 97 body...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 07:28 AM

My Photos: (30)

Do it to it. That is the way they should all be done. Then we won't have the tree huggers on our backs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

2018 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 4x4 DRW 6.7
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 07:41 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I don't know which exhaust system you are looking at, but the DPPI (for example) comes with a 3.5" downpipe to match up to the inlet of the cat pipe. The system goes to 4" after the cat, which eliminates the need for cutting up the cat and allows for the use of a "cat delete test pipe" (for off road use only of course [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in