How much coolant additive? VC-8 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much coolant additive? VC-8

I just bought a truck that has 160k miles. Ebay buy from a wholesaler and I found the original owner.

He says that he just had the turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler, valve on the HPOP just replaced thru Ford and he sent me the reciepts. It says they did the VC-9 flusk and added G-05 green coolant, but doesn't say anything about the VC-8 additive. I have read here that it should be added to the green coolant.

I bought a bottle from Ford and my question is, How much? It says on the bottle to use some test strips? and oz. per gal. blah blah. I have leared that the people here are typically much smarter than Ford in general. So I come to you for a recommendation. Should I find these strips or just put in the bottle?

Thanks alot, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonbee View Post
I just bought a truck that has 160k miles. Ebay buy from a wholesaler and I found the original owner.

He says that he just had the turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler, valve on the HPOP just replaced thru Ford and he sent me the reciepts. It says they did the VC-9 flusk and added G-05 green coolant, but doesn't say anything about the VC-8 additive. I have read here that it should be added to the green coolant.

I bought a bottle from Ford and my question is, How much? It says on the bottle to use some test strips? and oz. per gal. blah blah. I have leared that the people here are typically much smarter than Ford in general. So I come to you for a recommendation. Should I find these strips or just put in the bottle?

Thanks alot, Jim
Jim
You had better do some here and get this right and dump the Green cxxp, and get some ELC coolent in it, read this and look at all the post about it.

ELC is the coolant recommended and used by International for this engine. .

Coolant Flush for changing to ELC

Drain coolant by removing lower radiator hose. Drain block from plug on drivers side of the block. Remove the thermostat. Replace plug in block and put lower hose back on. Put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Fill with distilled water. run for 5 minutes then drain as above..Fill and run 5 more minutes drain. Put in 1 gallon of Restore an top with distilled water. Drive it for an 60-90 minutes then drain. Flush 2 times with distilled water or whatever it takes to come clear. Put 2 qts of VC-9 and fill with distilled water. Drive it for about 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush after. Flush 3 more times with distilled water untill it come out clean. Replace thermostat or put in a new one. Put hose back, make sure block plug is tight. Add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. Make sure to run engine for 5 minutes between flushes to circulate the water good. Have heater on set to hi while doing this to flush the heater core too.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edge Insight CTS with Expandable pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-100
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

ok, I have been reading, but was under the impression that this "new" green stuff from Ford was ok as long as you put in this additive. And definately stay away from the Ford gold. The green is not as good as ELC, but not a problem like the gold.

Just figured this was new and all the parts were new, so I could keep them clean. I have done the coolant bypass from dieselsite also.

This greens gotta go?

If so, it just had the VC-9 flusk when they replaced everything. Flush again or just drain out all the green and put in ELC?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonbee View Post
ok, I have been reading, but was under the impression that this "new" green stuff from Ford was ok as long as you put in this additive. And definately stay away from the Ford gold. The green is not as good as ELC, but not a problem like the gold.

Just figured this was new and all the parts were new, so I could keep them clean. I have done the coolant bypass from dieselsite also.

This greens gotta go?

If so, it just had the VC-9 flusk when they replaced everything. Flush again or just drain out all the green and put in ELC?

Jim
This may be something new from Ford but i think they only have 2 the old green that the 7.3 take and the Ford Gold for the 6.0 & 6.4 If it were me i flush with distilled water a few times if everything is new EGR & oil cooler then do the Restore need to clean the heater and raditator cores then flush then add ELC coolent. Maybe someone will chime in on this one.
2 stroker

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Boots

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
1700 Super Chip
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

IF it helps anyone figure this out. The coolant they used to refill is listed on the receipt as G-05 ccolant. Thought I read here somewhere that it was in fact a new green coolant they use adn you use this G-08 additive.

Not that money is no object, because it certainly is, just trying to make sure I only do this once and am trying to make this baby reliable for a LONG time. If this G-05 is ok then it is $5 for additive vs. the $$ to flusk and refill again. this work was doen about 5k miles ago.

thanks.

Last edited by joonbee; 12-01-2010 at 10:37 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 PM

There are 4 choices for your Powerstroke....

Conventional coolant (usually green) with the addition of SCA at initial fill. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance there after.

Pre-charged coolant (usually purple or pink). Comes with an initial dose of SCA. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance required thereafter.

G-05 coolants. Comes pre-charged with SCA package. Fush required at 50K miles. Semi-annual SCA testing and maintenance recommended.

Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants. Come pre-charged with carboxylate inhibitors. No testing or maintenance. Super protection. Super long life.

Specialty coolants. Evans. Waterless, pressureless. Long life. No maintenance or testing. Expensive.

Not to be used - Dexcool, Universal coolants, All-makes-all-models, etc.

I use Chevron's Delo HD ELC. Good for 750K miles/8 years or 1M miles with addition of an extender.

Get yourself some test strips so you know where you stand, i get them from the International dealer most get them from Napa and test the coolent before you add it may be good if you over dose you may take out the water pump should be checked about every 6 months. I use them on my 97 and with the Ford Gold but with the ELC coolent good for about 300k or 3 to 4 years then redose good for another 300k, it's your call.
2 stroker

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Boots

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
1700 Super Chip
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Awesome info 2 Stoker. Thanks.

Sounds like I am in the testing category for now. Like I said it was just done, so I will get some SCA strips and test it. But when the money comes along I will get rid of this and go to the ELC or Evans. Will have some time to get some more reading and feedback in before I have to make that choice.

I am usually the guy who changes everything when I get a new truck, but if this coolant checks out on the SCA scale then I will run it. I have changed everything but the coolant. Paid off cause I found out that whomever worked on the truck last (FORD) topped off the brake fluid with green coolant. GENIUS. The next oil change I plan to go with amsoil and their bypass, then I will have a match set from nose to tail.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim

2005 F250 CCSB 4x4 King Ranch, 6.0L, Volant CAI, Zoodad, 5" turbo back Diamond Eye, Edge Juice Platinum, Glowshift fuel pressure gauge, Fuel spring mod, Dieselsite Coolant Bypass Filter, Amsoil nose to tail, Pace Edwards Rolltop, B&W gooseneck, Contitech air bags
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:25 AM

It sounds like the reciept has Zerex G-05 which is the same as the Ford gold coolant.

Here is a link to the Zerex website Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex > Antifreeze Zerex > Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant.

Are you sure the coolant is green? If so, it wasn't the G-05 or it wasn't flushed properly. Since you found green in the brake fluid, its possible somebody topped off with conventional green and probably should be flushed and changed sooner rather than later.

2003 Excursion Limited PSD, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Mobil synthetic in the rear differential, transfer case, tranny, power steering. Fleetguard Compleat ES coolant. Mostly stock.
2007 GMC Acadia

Last edited by medicrxdoc; 12-06-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in