Increase mpgs and what to do for reliability for higher mpgs - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Increase mpgs and what to do for reliability for higher mpgs

Wifes truck.
6.0l
4x4
extended cab
stock
130k miles
we have owned it for last 40k miles
when we bought it, had coolant and tranny fluid flushed.

Here is the thing. We have always had a little car in addition to the trucks. Now the car is dying, and were thinking what she loves most is driving her truck. hates driving cars at all.

We put on about 20k a year that will go on her truck now.

would like to maximize mpgs (she is 35, not a hot rodder anyways...)
I know a truck is not a civic. I get it. At the same time, we HAVE to have the truck. Pulls horses, gets hay and grain etc. So what can I do to maximize MPGS and what would that number be? is 20 unrealistic? What about 18? Seems like we get 14-15 now, and that is mostly highway (80% or more). Will custom tune or exhaust help?

Also, should I be worried about the 6.0l? At one time they were considered junk. Now it seems people say if you maintain them, they are reliable, others say bullet proof kit/EGR delete etc. I am reasonably handy. Is that all DIY safe for average guy?

1999 F350
Auto
4wd
Club cab
Long box
Stock everything AFAIK
274k miles (07/14)
320k miles (04/16)

Last edited by mcompton1973; 11-19-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:05 AM

Look up videos about 6.0 on YouTube for a lot of answers. Specifically from Powerstrokehelp.com. They do the bulletproofing with lifetime engine warranty. But they do not mind sharing the information about what and how to do it yourself. I am gathering parts to complete My bulletproof now. Starting to loose coolant when pulling loads, so the head gaskets are starting to go.
Rebuilt my turbo a few thousand miles ago, including the bearings and thrust bearing. It was sticking. If you are engine mechanical familiar, you can do most, if not all of it yourself.

2007, f250 4X4, lariat crew. 145,000 miles. SCT tuner, 4" exhaust, pyrometer, custom gooseneck/5th wheel hitch.

2007 F250 Crewcab 4x4 with SCT custom tunes and Pyrometer. 4" exhaust with 3.5 down pipe. Coolant bypass filter kit. 171,000 miles and counting.

2014 F250 4x4 King Ranch . Flip gooseneck ball mount.

2007 Kawasaki KX700
2002 Honda Rubican with 2" lift and 28" Outlaws
2004 Blazer Bay 22.5' center console bay boat.
2006 24' Gooseneck trailer
2006 36' Doubletree Suites trailer
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:14 AM

Sorry, to address your question exactly, my personal experience is that the truck is only going to get 15-16 stock. Then I added the tuner and saw high 16s and on highway long trips, 17-18. Then addition of the 3-1/2" downturn to 4" exhaust dropped this back down 16. When pulling our 36' RV, at 15,000+ lbs. I get 12-13 mpg.
So I think we are capable of getting better, but I haven't seen the results yet. Rebuilding the turbo, my vanes were stuck, helped with both, but haven't been on the long trip without a load to tell. Feels like I have a new truck though. After fixing the head gasket leaks, I expect to see better.

2007 F250 Crewcab 4x4 with SCT custom tunes and Pyrometer. 4" exhaust with 3.5 down pipe. Coolant bypass filter kit. 171,000 miles and counting.

2014 F250 4x4 King Ranch . Flip gooseneck ball mount.

2007 Kawasaki KX700
2002 Honda Rubican with 2" lift and 28" Outlaws
2004 Blazer Bay 22.5' center console bay boat.
2006 24' Gooseneck trailer
2006 36' Doubletree Suites trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:47 AM

Don't expect miracles in mileage from tuning or other parts. Your best bet for mileage is driving style and properly inflated tires. Using the cruise on the highway is a mistake. You can maintain the same speed with careful application of the throttle and keep the boost consistently 3-4psi below what you see with cruise. Boost requires fuel, its that simple. Over a long trip that can be the difference between 16mpg and 18mpg. The cruise control is a convenience feature. Our trucks have the first generation of cruise for Diesels. It wasn't possible before electronic controls, because all the OEM systems worked on vacuum, which Diesels don't make. So, it works, but it isn't super efficient and there are still some kinks.

All that being said, 12-14mpg around town and 16-18mpg highway is about all you can reasonably expect from these trucks. While towing those numbers are going to decrease.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in