Intermittent heat - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Intermittent heat

I have an issue that I'm trying to get dialed in. I recently had some work done to my 2005 6.0, I upgraded my turbo and had an egr delete done on it. This was done in the summer so the issue I have hasn't come up until now. I drove my truck the other day when it was close to zero outside and I had no heat, I drove about 15 miles and stopped at a store after the initial trip I went a few more miles down the road and the heat was working. Then after driving again I had no heat. For some reason the heat seems to come and go whenever I cycle the ignition, I know all about the light switch problem on the climate control panel, it's happened to me several times during my ownership, this heat thing is new to me and I haven't seen anyone else post about it....help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Check your coolant level. When they are low the heat can be spotty or outright not work because its high in the system.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, that was the first thing I checked, it is at the full level in the degas tank, however I'm wondering if there's an air bubble in the system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:51 AM

That's possible, but the system will burp/self bleed typically. So unless you just added a bunch of coolant I wouldn't think that's your issue. Typically the system will purge the air after one or two good drives.

Check your heater control valve for operation. Its on top of the engine on the RH side back by the firewall. It was a gray vacuum hose going to it. You could pull and plug the hose and pull vacuum on the valve with a vacuum pump and see if you have heat. If you get heat the valve is good, if not the valve is bad and you've found your problem. If the valve is good and you get heat it means there's an issue somewhere else in the system because it would indicate it is not directing vacuum to the control valve when the heat is on like it should.
toogood61 likes this.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far! The temp was in the upper 30's today so I thought I'd do some investigating, the heat barely trickles out when I have my setting on 90. Not the air, the blower is working fine, I was also told to manually move the heater control by hand and tie it in place, still no real heat. I've been told to check my potentiometer whatever the heck that is, I've been told that my truck may or may not have one.....does anyone know?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:06 AM

A potentiometer is an analog device that increases or decreases something (current, resistance, etc.) as you turn a dial. I can't say if your truck has one or not; I have the non electronic temp controls in mine so no point of reference.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 AM

My Photos: (2)
TKO, even with the manual controls, the air direction dial is VAC and the fan speed is a switch but I believe the temperature control rotary dial is a pot.

Here's the backside of the manual controls.

Here's some general info on checking Ford's controls, I haven't investigated to confirm this is exactly what is in the manual control dash of our generation of truck:

http://www.factoryairtemp.com/Upload...20ACTUATOR.PDF

Regarding the climate control, I don't know anything about it so I don't know if it has a pot to check or not. My guess would be no, that it's all solid sate run off a board, but again, I don't know.

Also, a pot issue generally results in too cold or too hot, just not changing enough or at all. Not varying random temps.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, it's looking like mine is the heater control valve, I have one on order so I'll know in a few days! My truck has the electronic control so I guess I don't have a potentiometer in mine.

Last edited by toogood61; 01-14-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added info
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:00 PM

That would make sense Phil. Old systems used cables for temperature control so you could adjust the degree to which the temperature door was open, thereby controlling the mix of cold and hot air. . If there's no cable I'd have to agree that it must be done with a pot, because I know of no easy way to use just some vacuum. The doors controlled by vacuum are either open or closed. Honestly, I've never had a climate control issue on the heating side in anything built after about 1990. AC systems sure, but the heat always seems to work so long as the core is good.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Eli

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKOPerformance View Post
That's possible, but the system will burp/self bleed typically. So unless you just added a bunch of coolant I wouldn't think that's your issue. Typically the system will purge the air after one or two good drives.

Check your heater control valve for operation. Its on top of the engine on the RH side back by the firewall. It was a gray vacuum hose going to it. You could pull and plug the hose and pull vacuum on the valve with a vacuum pump and see if you have heat. If you get heat the valve is good, if not the valve is bad and you've found your problem. If the valve is good and you get heat it means there's an issue somewhere else in the system because it would indicate it is not directing vacuum to the control valve when the heat is on like it should.
I was thinking this was a valve to merely shut off coolant flow to the heater core when the A/C was on Max?

06 XL 250 6.0 Auto 4x4 Shortbox, Ex-Cab, 200k miles, ARP studs w/o-ring heads from South Houston Engine Services, IPR Remote Oil Cooler and filter, SCT tuner with ID and Gearhead Tunes, PHP FICM tuner, FICM from ficmrepair.com, DC Power alternator, 3.5" downpipe to Magnaflow 4" exhaust. ELC coolant, 2" leveling kit with 20's. She's a runner now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EBC slotted and dimpled front rotors with EBC YellowSTuff Pads, solid rear rotors/YellowStuff pads. Good stuff!

95 XLT SC 4X4, 3.55, 5 spd, 317k miles, Bullydog extreme chip, Maddog Stage II 160cc injectors, Tymar Intake, 4" exhaust, Walker BTM,H-Max DP, exhaust brake, LUK, 2.5 lift with 285's on 8 Weld Typhoons/air bags.

In the picture...my old 2 wheel drive powerstroke with stage 2 injectors. I sure miss that truck. 20mpg consistantly for 200k miles.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 PM

It shuts off flow to the heater core whenever the heat or defrost is not selected on the function dial.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

So another question here....can I bypass the heater control valve until my valve comes in? I ordered one online and it wont be here now until around the first week of Feb.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Take it out an put in a straight piece of tubing, but it will be on max all the time. The best solution would be to put in a manual ball valve and that will give you some degree of control, even though you have to stop and raise the hood to control it. Don't forget to plug the vacuum hose.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM

My Photos: (1)
If it is the heater control valve I have always had some heat felt on the hose up to the valve. It is conceivable that the lever to vac diaphragm and the shaft are no longer locked together for some reason and the heater control valve cycling leaves it off at times and works as it should others.

The valve is normal open, vacuum to close. When I have checked the valve is only supplied vacuum on ATC systems when the a/c is on and temp diff cab to set temp is a big delta. when the temp in cab gets to set and ambient is not over something about 100F then it shouts off the vacuum and allows coolant to flow into core in case it needs to moderate vent discharge temp by mixing some warm air with cold.
Does it do the same thing if you adjust the set temp to the highest number? If cabin temp sensor is reporting the wrong temp (bad sensor) then setting to highest number is an override and you will get heat anyway if it is that problem.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

**Update on heat**

I changed out the heater control valve and still no heat to speak of, even if I have my heater control on 90 it barely warms up. I'm at a loss as to what I should look at next! If anyone has any ideas please let me know....my wife is looking at this as an excuse to sell my truck and go back to a gas rig. This is the first real hiccup that this truck has given me so I don't want to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in