Intermittent heat - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BTW, at 70 it used to run you out of the cab!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM

My Photos: (2)
Have you checked to see if the heater core is plugged?

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

No that was my next guess, Both hoses feel the same temp wise but it my not be getting through to the core. I have no idea what could cause a blockage though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:39 AM

The junk usually floating around a 6.0 cooling system. Even if you've flushed the system the heater core can still be contaminated because unless you go through the backflushing procedure it only gets flushed so well (assuming the heat was on when you did the flush, which I'll admit I've forgotten more than once).

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 AM

The good news is should you have to replace it, they aren't stupid expensive (Just over 100 for OEM if I recall) and it's not that hard to do other than I imagine unlocking the 2 coolant lines at the firewall might be a challenge with the engine in the way. I changed mine while the engine was out just because of the miles on it and the fact that the connections were easy to get at with the engine gone. Regarding pulling the core on the inside...not bad at all.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:45 AM

A preemptive change on a heater core when its accessible is always a good idea. I did the one in my '89 Mustang GT project because I was already taking the dash out. Nothing wrong with it, but they are a royal PITA to get to with everything in place. That's good advice there Phil.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM

I had another solution on a Dodge Dakota since the dash had to come out on it to get at it....I left the core in the box and gave it to the new owner....

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 PM

I seem to remember buying an F150 years ago that had a fuel tank sending unit on the bench seat when I bought it. I noticed the fuel gauge never moved and realized the previous owner never got around to changing it

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 PM

My Photos: (1)
So the real question is what or was this issue resolved..?

I'm currently having this issue.. However, my heat is intermittent.. If i rev the motor let off rev again. Drive or stay still it comes and goes.. For the most part I have heat but randomly if idling for long periods of time or even short times at times... I won't have heat.. Coolant level is fine (although egr cooler and most likely head gaskets are bad, "coolant/pressure blows out cap but I monitor cooling level" not much highway driving and don't pull weight)

I'm wondering if its just the coolant boiling over so much from the HGs and EGR cooler that's preventing coolant to flow through the heater core at times or if its possible my water pump is starting to go.. Is it popssible to have an intermittent water pump failure, isn't the shaft connected directly to the impeller?

DL

Harley Davidson F-350

INTERIOR:Harley trim package with Captain chairs front and rear with center console's. AUDIO:
Kenwood Excellon DNN992 HU, Kenwood Excellon 4way 5x7 in front & 6x9's boxed behind rear headrests powered by a Pioneer600 4ch amp
SUB: JL AUDIO W5 thin line in a custom box behind rear center console, powered by a Kenwood1000 Mono amp.
ENGINE: Mishimoto Intercooler Pipes & boots. Sinister Diesel Coolant filter kit. K&N Air Box & filter. FICM bullet proofed. SCTX4
SUSPENSION: All MOOG front end joints and bushings, Spicer U-joints, Timken Hubs . RanchoRS5's in front and rear. Skyjacker leaf springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in