Need recommendation for getting rid of turbo lag - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need recommendation for getting rid of turbo lag

Hi All,

I've done a couple tows with the new truck and desperately want to get rid of the turbo lag. Had my girlfriend yelling at me one time as I started from a stop going uphill and the truck was a dog. Old 7.3l chipped manual had instant power.

My concern is obvious, don't want to stretch the head bolts.

Truck has sufficient towing power pulling 8000-9000 lbs T.T.

I've got Edge CTS with EGT, blue spring, Bulletproof EGR cooler, rebuilt oil cooler, running CAT ELC and other upgrades seen in the signature.

My confusion is comparing SCT to PHP (Atlas 40), doing a CAT delete or not and is going economy mode even worth the cost? I'm going to keep the muffler since family was the one that insisted on upgradeing the old truck due to noise and smell.

My initial choice was going to be PHP Atlas 40 until I saw the torque chart showing 700 ftlbs and thought that will blow a gasket!

Thanks

Mike

2005 F350 Lariat CC SB 6.0L 145k White, Edge CTS w/EGT, coolant filter, blue spring, HFCM drain plug, CAT-1 EL coolant, rebuilt oil cooler, reconditioned turbo, Bulletproof EGR cooler, T6 5w40 oil, Upgraded: STC fitting, turbo in/out oil pipes, standpipe & dummy plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
with the sct your looking at pcm tuning vs the php ficm tuning. basically the ficm controls the fuel and timing of it. the pcm can have a tune written to do what ever it wants but the ficm has to allow it. if that makes sense. with my exp on the 6.0 pcm tuning using the sct device is night and day difference. i plan to do some ficm tuning at some point with the goal mainly in mpg increase.

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

which SCT tune are you using with the stock head bolts? do you know if Ford ever made a change to the stock head bolt size from 2003-2004? I guess my main concern will always be blowing a gasket.

2005 F350 Lariat CC SB 6.0L 145k White, Edge CTS w/EGT, coolant filter, blue spring, HFCM drain plug, CAT-1 EL coolant, rebuilt oil cooler, reconditioned turbo, Bulletproof EGR cooler, T6 5w40 oil, Upgraded: STC fitting, turbo in/out oil pipes, standpipe & dummy plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 PM

The head bolt size is the same for all 6.0L's.

Scott

SOLD -- 2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM

I typically run a race tune. Have since I got the truck so since 43k truck now has 95k+ keep in mind I don't beat on it and I don't typically tow anything with a race tune

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 PM

The head bolts are the same size. They did change the alignment dowels when they commonised the motor in 06

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I was confused because PHP web site said the 6.0 increase head bolt size to 18 mm, but now I understand that is a dowel (alignment?) for changing over to 6.4L production.

Can't run the race cause towing 8k lbs. Is the stree tune the next lower?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 PM

With the sct and custom tuning you would want a tow tune. Typically between 40-80hp over stock. Some guys use a street tune but fo me I use a 80hp tow tune with turbo braking

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Fedxairmech I've never heard of this. Wouldn't the turbo size depend on the year. Reconditioning a turbo doesn't make it shrink. And a smaller turbo would spool faster

2005 powestroke 6.0
Up pipe scoop Mia
5inch exhaust
Afe intake
Sct tunes
34" trail grapplers
Zoodad mod
Ccv mod

Last edited by SIX_0; 08-18-2012 at 10:13 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to ritschner
Unfortunately, it is sort of the nature of the beast. 6.0l's just do not come of idle very well, especially if you floor the throttle. It has to do with the way the VVT and PCM operate together. When you floor the 6.0l from idle the PCM demands more boost and limits the amount of fuel injected until that boost occurs, in the mean time the VVT vanes deflect hard to build the boost faster. When this happens there is an initial rapid build-up of back pressure until the turbo spools. Once the pressure is sufficient, the vanes open, pressure is released, fueling is restored, and tires break loose. Some tunes and modules will give you more initial fueling to help, but the best remedy is to roll the throttle or power brake.

White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab elbow, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, DCPower 185a alternator, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedxairmech View Post
I might be new to this forum, but I would like to share alittle infomation.
The recondition turbo is smaller in size than the the stock factory turbo that came on you truck. How do I know? well I have been own to play with these turbo, actually have taken apart and measured over 80 of these powerstroke turbos. I believe that some of your trouble is the turbo you have. Just thought I would share with you.
Reconditioned by WHOM?? What's to say the original turbo wasn't removed and cleaned?? I guess you got a crystal ball and know the history of the OPs truck.

Adrian you are MUCH smarter than to make a comment like that......

The Atlas 40 is a mild tune for the FICM so towing shouldn't be an issue.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

I bought a recondition kit that is just sanding disks for a die grinder to clean off carbon buildup and rust. I did it at 128k miles and highly recommend people do it cause there was a lot to be removed.

I'm off to diag a overheat issue that sounds like a fan clutch problem p0528 code came on . If that be the case then I"m looking at PHP Econo for the FICM and SCT to shut off the EGR valve and a light tow tune.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in