new member here, also new to diesels, - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new member here, also new to diesels,

name is terry, just bought an 03 f250 w/ 6.0 139,xxx miles. looking for info on all the little quirks on the 6.0, ill start by giving all the info i have and hopefully you guys can fill me in on the rest. i bought this truck from a buddy (first mistake) sway bar end links were totally gone so i put on some moog problem solvers, the truck has a 4" lift and the down pipe rubs on the passenger side rear spring perch, so much so that there is now a whole in the pipe the size of a quarter. i need to have the heads studded, would love to have the oil cooler upgrade from bulletproof diesel as well as the egr cooler. im slowly learning symptoms, there is evidence that the coolant resevior overflowed at one time. within the past few days the truck has developed another running issue, it feels like a gas motor with a miss. my buddy thinks its an injector but hes not a diesel tech. hes been running motorcraft oil, its time for me to do an oil change, ive heard good things about valvoline premium blue, just have to find the stuff. im going to try and do my head gaskets soon, any info on what gaskets to use? stock? black onyx? any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

other info, truck is grey 4 door with 4" lift, riding on 325/60/20, harley davidson headlights, sct tuner, 5" exhaust in front of rear wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry6.0 View Post
name is terry, just bought an 03 f250 w/ 6.0 139,xxx miles. looking for info on all the little quirks on the 6.0, ill start by giving all the info i have and hopefully you guys can fill me in on the rest. i bought this truck from a buddy (first mistake) sway bar end links were totally gone so i put on some moog problem solvers, the truck has a 4" lift and the down pipe rubs on the passenger side rear spring perch, so much so that there is now a whole in the pipe the size of a quarter. i need to have the heads studded, would love to have the oil cooler upgrade from bulletproof diesel as well as the egr cooler. im slowly learning symptoms, there is evidence that the coolant resevior overflowed at one time. within the past few days the truck has developed another running issue, it feels like a gas motor with a miss. my buddy thinks its an injector but hes not a diesel tech. hes been running motorcraft oil, its time for me to do an oil change, ive heard good things about valvoline premium blue, just have to find the stuff. im going to try and do my head gaskets soon, any info on what gaskets to use? stock? black onyx? any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

other info, truck is grey 4 door with 4" lift, riding on 325/60/20, harley davidson headlights, sct tuner, 5" exhaust in front of rear wheel.
Before you do any repairs get some gauge i would get the Edge Insight CTS or the Scangauge little hard to use and less money but you have to see the health of the motor ECT-EOT max spread 15* i think 10* the oil cooler is getting plugged needs to be flushed before any repairs. The valvoline premium blue i think you can get it at Napa and you must use Ford filters oil filter from Walmart FL-2016 Fuel filter Ford also no wix or napa.
Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
HG Ford only trouble with the Black Onyx and ARP studs. Do some ing they are a great ride.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edge Insight CTS with Expandable pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-100
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info, update, i did the oil change today, found the premium blue at autozone-$18.00/gal i was curious about filters, i didnt know you had to use a motorcraft filter but as luck would have it thats what i purchased cause i figured ford uses it for a reason. that symptom i spoke of earlier, about the truck feeling like it had a miss, i havent felt it since i did the oil change, she purrs so nice now, after doing some reading ive learned the fuel injectors run on oil pressure, so im thinking my "hickup" was dirty oil. in changing my oil i was relieved there was no coolant mixed in. i see some people are running a coolant filter? what exactly do i need to be filtering out?

im not sure what a edge insight cts or a scanguage is but i take it its some kind of device that is either handheld or mounts in the truck and has the ability to read various temps and pressures all on the same screen. i dont know what ECT-EOC is, or what 10-15* has to do with it, diesel is a different language to me, trying to learn quickly. from what ive seen the piller pod holds 4 guages, what 4 would you recommend i get? just read that link you posted, thats good info for a newb, i appreciate it.

Last edited by terry6.0; 01-31-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: more info needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM

The edge insight or scangauge are both electronic gauges that read information thru the OBDII port. Lots of people on here use one or the other. Both will read a lot of different parameters. Do some reading on here as to which you would rather buy. Both have pros & cons.

ECT = Coolant temperature EOT = Engine Oil Temperature. The 10-15* spread Stroker was referring to is the difference between the two temps. Once the engine is up to full operating temp, your oil temp shouldn't be more than 15* higher than your coolant temp. These readings should be taken while cruising down a flat highway running 55-60mph with no load on the truck. The harder you work the truck, the more these two temperatures can spread apart. For example, towing our camper I will see 10-12* degree spread most of the time. Truck empty running 65-70mph I will see about 6-8* spread most of the time.

Hope this helps.

2006 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab | 6.0L Powerstroke | 4x4 Auto Tranny w/ 3.73 | ~105,000 miles | AstroStart Remote Start | LineX Spray-On Bedliner
Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch | Scangauge II w/ homemade mirror mount | Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge | Glowshift EGT Gauge
Dieselsite Coolant Filter | CAT Delete Pipe | SCT Livewire tuned by Innovative Diesel
| River City Diesel EGR Delete | Blue Spring Upgrade
High Idle Mod | ARP Studs

2009 30ft Puma Travel Trailer | Approx 8000lbs when loaded up for the weekend!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

gotcha, makes sense, after getting guages should i get a base " spread " with the ecm reset to stock then redo with the tune? or does that matter? the coolant temp and oil temp will take care of 2 of the 4 needed guages, what should the other 2 be? egt & trans temp? i have a boost guage but i havent hooked it up yet, with the #of guages adding up where else to you mount them?

'03 6.0 FX4 4x4 PSD CC SB
SCT tuner
4'' lift, 325/60/20's
4" down pipe w/ silverline exhaust w/ 5" tip
K/N open air intake
Airbags in the rear w/onboard compressor
Pioneer touch screen head unit
'04 Harley Davidson headlights
Swamps ficm
Updated oil cooler
Sinister diesel egr delete
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 AM

My Photos: (2)
the electronic tuners will have all of those gauges built in. boost, pyro, fuel, etc.... You will need the atatchments for the fuel and pyrometer. I do know boost is read throught the obdII port.

SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!

2003 F350 crew cab 4x4 , 295's on 17's, performance MFG coolant filer, Blue spring, new HFCM, FICM, Batteries and Alt. SCT performance tune, 128k on engine 12/13. Stock everything else.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE- just talked to the previous owner, my truck is still using the gold coolant, i have 140,000 miles on it, and guesses as to just how bad of my oil cooler is? ive decided im going to buy the edge insight, and do a coolant flush, i see people here are using "restore" to do their flushes with, does this stuff come in a silver can? if so ive seen the sizes of the cans vary with how many cylinders you have. if anyone can post a picture of the pruduct in question that would help out alot. also what am i to use as a replacement coolant? again im more of a picture kinda guy. all the info im finding on this site is extremely helpful, its like catching a bug, ive been glued to this site for the past 2 days. much appreciated, also gonna get a coolant filter system,...

SCT tuner
4'' lift, 325/60/20's
K/N open air intake
Swamps ficm
Updated oil cooler

Last edited by terry6.0; 02-01-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: just cause
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM

I agree, sight is addicting very educational thanks guys
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM

the silver can is for engine oil. DO NOT USE IT IN YOUR COOLANT SYSTEM. Go to a Cummins Dealer, semi-trucks, and buy Restore and Restore Plus for your coolant flush. Expensive but worth it. You also might plug your coolers worse while flushing. It is a risk. I dropped my deltas from 25* to 6* when I flushed my system and changed to an ELC. $100 and one day to flush was better than $2200 to change out my oil and EGR coolers though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

yeah thats not the same stuff, i recieved an email with a picture of the right stuff, now i just have to find it. thanks for the info. that problem i was talking about with my truck running like crap is back, engine starts shaking really bad and it is really hesitant when you try to accelerate but once you put your foot in it far enough it goes away but comes right back when you just try to coast at a steady speed. edge cts is on the way so maybe ill get an idea whats going on when i get some numbers....

SCT tuner
4'' lift, 325/60/20's
K/N open air intake
Swamps ficm
Updated oil cooler
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

numbers are in :(

ok so i installed the cts today at work, i let it idle for 35 min, when i got in the truck my
ECT 184*
EOT 189*
TFT 99*

i had to go get fuel so i drove about 7 miles trying to keep my speed around 55 my spread got bigger
ECT188*
EOT 211*
TFT 160*
max spread i saw was 31*
max boost was 28

SCT tuner
4'' lift, 325/60/20's
K/N open air intake
Swamps ficm
Updated oil cooler
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Called mkm yesterday, egr delete and oil cooler on the way.

SCT tuner
4'' lift, 325/60/20's
K/N open air intake
Swamps ficm
Updated oil cooler
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
After the flushing what kind of deltas did you come up with must still be up there if you are getting parts.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB

Edge Insight CTS with Expandable pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-100
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

I lost an injector on the first hour drive. I'm done playing with it, time to break out the big guns...

SCT tuner
4'' lift, 325/60/20's
K/N open air intake
Swamps ficm
Updated oil cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in