Performance Upgrades For a Nubbie - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:33 PM

Performance Upgrades For a Nubbie

I just got my new 05' 6.0PSD 6-speed and was wondering what has not given any of you guys problems?

I have heard horror stories about this one and that one doing this and that.

What should I get?
What seems to be trouble free?

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:44 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Re: Performance Upgrades For a Nubbie

1991Driver,

Exhaust and Gauges are safe mods for sure. They are also the best mods to do before you do any other "Performance" mods like a module or programmer. A good quality high flow intake kit like the Pro Guard 7 piece from AFE is also an excellent early mod.

With a manual trans, you have less to worry about than most of us. The Auto Trans isn't taking the extra power very well and people are having trans troubles more than anything (as related to aftermarket power mods). Since you control your own shift points and clutch engagement, you are less likely to have problems. If you don't go nuts with power, you can probably even avoid doing a performance clutch for a while.

As for power mods, we've had EXCELLENT results with the Juice module from Edge products (either with or without the Attitude monitor). I've run several products in my personal truck and I've come back to the Juice w/Attitude as my personal favorite.

The Banks Six-Gun has done well, but isn't as agressive as the Edge in my opinion. It has some great "Safety Features" and is a great choice if you're not looking for the most power possible. I've got some great pricing on the Six-Gun and Speed Loader if that interests you.

The SuperChips and DiabloSport programmers have also done well. The SuperChips is less expensive and has a few less features than the Diablo unit.

I'm sure you will get a number of opinions from users of various devices, generally they're all pretty good. Nothing is perfect and some devices fit particular driving styles and uses better than others. Do you homework and pick one that works for what you do with the truck and how you drive and you should be fine.

Don't hesitate to e-mail or call me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer them...

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:45 PM

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If it was mine I would first get some spacers in the front to level it out. then get your self some nice 305 tires on it. 4 inch exhaust no cat a good intake system. then go with sct custom tune I heard some guys talking about it and it sounded pretty sweet. But dont forget the little sh*t like vent shades and dark tint stuff like that. Man thats gona be a good looking mean sounding fast truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 10:26 PM

I am interested in the Banks system. I know they have a good reputation and make quality.

This is basically a "work" truck and I only want a little more power. For now anyways.

PM me if you can give me detais on the Six Gun and Speed Loader. How much more power should I expect?

Again Thanks for anyones help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am interested in the Banks system. I know they have a good reputation and make quality.

This is basically a "work" truck and I only want a little more power. For now anyways.

PM me if you can give me detais on the Six Gun and Speed Loader. How much more power should I expect?

Again Thanks for anyones help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly recommend you give Dennis a call. He is very knowledgable about the products he sell and he is a pretty darn cool guy to chat with about trucks.

When I do modifications to my truck I am the kind of guy that does his homework and only purchases the highest quality parts from reliable sources.

With that said, the early mods I have put on my truck are in my signature. I have owned the truck for 1.5 years now, and most of the mods listed were recently added to the truck.

I don't have plans to put a chip on the truck anytime soon. I'd like to get my 100,000 miles out of my powertrain warranty before I do anything like that. Exhaust/Intake should give me a small performance gain, enough to tide me over until the warranty runs out.

2003 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0L CrewCab Lariat FX4

Modifications:12.5 DR Lift, DR Sig Series Reserviors, 40" Toyo M/T's, 20 x 10 Lawless 8's, ORU Cross Over Steering, ORU Track Bar Kit, Crown Braided Brake Lines, ArmorThane Bedliner, 20% Front Tint, Ventshade Visors, Lund Bug Shield, APC Euro Tails, Billet Third Eye Cover, AFE Stage 1 Pro7 Intake, MBRP T-304 Turbo-Back Duals, Painted 3 Gauge A-Pillar, AutoMeter Pyro, Trans, Boost Gauges, Sylvania Silverstars, Fumoto Valve, Roadmax Metal Chrome Shell Billet Grille, SCT XCal2
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is our info on the Banks Six-Gun. ==>CLICK<==

The Six-Gun by itself (without the Speed Loader) offers good power with some nice built in safety features. It is upgradable with the Speed Loader for more power and features at any time. Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail if you still have questions after looking over this information.

We also handle modules from Edge and programmers from SuperChips and DiabloSport, each with their own featureset.

/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend you give Dennis a call. He is very knowledgable about the products he sell and he is a pretty darn cool guy to chat with about trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
THANK YOU! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

/

/

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 07:38 PM

Where can I get the spacers to level it out??

It does need that for sure...the front is prolly 2-3" lower than the rear, but I have not measured it to be exact...

Thanks for the help....I still feel so new to all of this.....5 days the new owner!!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 08:03 PM

My Photos: (1)

Hey 91 driver look at the post on page 10 called a link to pics of my newest upgrades on my 05 f350, includes front leveling kit. Hope that helps
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 08:26 PM

For some reason I can not get to page ten......can you shoot me a direct link to there?

I will keep working on it...BTW... my truck is a 2WD..thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 10:28 PM

My Photos: (15)

A Quadzilla 160 box and muffler delete can be had for under $650 DIY and the only thing I would get is a pyro for insurance.

99 7.3, 02 7.3, 03 6.0, fastest 05 TDI Passat in NA now a 06 Mustang GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in