PYRO PROBE install -my Ford Diesel tech said........ - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PYRO PROBE install -my Ford Diesel tech said........

Dest place to monitor turbo temp is just on the outlet of the Turbo OR in the Y pipe just at the Turbo inlet.

He says the left exhaust manifold is THE WORST place to put one if you are concerned with accuracy. He cites that the Y pipe is best as it contains exhaust gas from both manifolds and is more accurate. Bty usin only one manifold you cannot account for variances in ignition, between the banks.

Mine is going in for a rear main seal(warranty on 04 F350) and he is going to install the probe in the Y pipe for me while the tranny is out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 08:36 PM

Re: PYRO PROBE install -my Ford Diesel tech said........

Search for this issue in upgrades and aftermarket 7.3 There are a LOT of posts full of info. I'm to tired of the subject to explain again. The other thread is just as relevant though, same points and concerns.

(After hearing this logic again, I'm loosing faith in humanity.) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM

While I also read lot's of post's on this subject before having my gauges installed, The most popular consensus on pyro probe location seemed to be in the exhaust manafold since we want to know the temp's coming OUT of the engine prior to entry into the turbo, NOT what the temp is AFTER exiting the turbo.....

I would also like to point out that I am by no means an expert on this subject whatsoever!!!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
If I learn otherwise, I'll regress and have my probe moved.

I guess this is still a "Hot Topic"
(sorry, I couldn't help it..) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards
JR44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 01:50 AM

I am new to the site, here at the recommendation of my brother. Just had a Pyro & Boost set installed today. My guy said the same thing, PRE turbo to get the best read.
I can't remember where the probe was mounted on my old peterbuilt..

Never argue with an Idiot, he will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:19 AM

My Photos: (1)

All depends on what it is you want to monitor. For most people the EGTs as they come out of the motor is what's most important. This is espically true if you're gonna chip the truck or if you tow (or both). For them the pre-turbo application is what's called for - t/c in the exh. manifold. If you want to monitor your turbo temp (for shut down temp. concerns) then post turbo is what you want - t/c in the down pipe. Obviously post turbo will not give you any accurate usable info for towing or chipping. That's why most of our customers buy the pre-turbo kits. About 96% of the pyros we sell are used in pre-turbo applications. If you're concerned about your turbo shut down temp. the best thing to do is watch your (pre-turbo) pyro before you shut down. Wait till she gets down to 325-350F and then swithc the key off. Exception Example: when your towing up a hill w/trailer en tow and pull off in a rest area. The pyro will tell you that the EGTs are cool a lot faster then the turbo cools down. This is due the the residual heat built up in the turbo due to the fact that it's a big honkin chunk of metal. I'd let the truck idle for at least 5 min before you shut down. Use common sence. If it's cold outside then you can shut down sooner. If it's hot then wait longer.
Now, here for my shameless plug. You can always add an ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor (TTM) that has a thermocouple in the down pipe. Then the truck will shut down at the right temp and you don't need to worry about anything. I've got one in my truck and love it. I really get a kick out of people's expressions when they see me walking away from my truck and they say, "hey - you left your truck running". I look at them and then the truck and back at them, and it shuts down a few seconds later. They just scratch their head.

If oyu have any questions don't hessitate to give me a call. Glad to help.

David Murphy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Banks says to install theirs in the #5 manifold. I trust Gale Banks Engineering more than an ASE wrench monkey.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:10 AM

Get an Bully dog outlook, and monitor Both! Not to gloat but I think this is the best idea yet after ALLLLLLL.....THE.....DEBATE.

2012 F-350 KR 6.7, CCSB 4x4, Carli 4.5" Pin Top 2.5, prog leaf packs, 1" blocks, long travel airbags, AirLift WirelessAir, 5gal OBA, Amp steps, B&W Hitch, BakFlip F1, Kenwood DNX-9990, JL 700/5, BA Comp, 2-PGold 10", Rigid Ind 20" light bar, 295/65-20 Toyo M/Ts on OEM wheels.

Sold - 2005 F-250 Lariat 6.0 Crew, SB, 6 Speed, 4x4, Wedgewood/Tan
2008 Hydra-Sport 23 Bay Bolt w/ Etec 250
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 666rwhp 600rwtq,
1997 Jeep Wrangler B3.3T Cummins, NSG370 6 speed, Ford 8.8 rear, Dana 44 front, 37x12.50 PitBull Rockers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:12 PM

I feel pre turbo is the only way. But my next set up is going to either be right before the turbo, or one gauge for each manifold. I always wondered what is the right side was hotter than the left as i was running into the 1600 degree range. Just my 0.02

New truck
08 f-250 6.4 auto CC SB FX-4 stock
Sold
3/27/03 build F-350,CC,SB,DRW,6.0,auto,Black on Black,Blacked out bumpers/grill,285/75/16 Toyo A/T, 2" spacer, Alpine everything,Vector 1000w Inverter,16k Reese slider,Prodigy brake controler,MBRP cat back with muffler delete,Autometer luners on the A-pillar,Viper 5900,XM Radio

04 F-350 6.0,auto,supercab,shortbed, 8ft Fisher X-Blade, Hideaway Strobes, XM Radio,Alpine Head unit,X-codes, Edge Mini spring pack, Edge adjustable track bar,International helper springs 315/75/16 Toyo A/t,Prodigy brake controler,MBRP 3.5" downpipe,5"stacks
Last truck
sick, 1/7/03 build

2003 F-350 XLT supercab 6.0 powerstroke
4"lift 37 MT/R 372HP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Banks says to install theirs in the #5 manifold. I trust Gale Banks Engineering more than an ASE wrench monkey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, that's kind of brutal don't you think, since I think there is probably alot of them on here, maybe one that works on your car. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

2004 F-350 Green, Lariat, Crewcab 4X4, Torq-Shift, 4" Procomp lift, Weld 16X8 Scorpio wheels, Hog 4" stainless exhaust, Airaid Intake system, Proparts 2 gauge pod, Isspro EGT and Boost gauges, Proparts 2 gauge underdash pod, Autometer trans temp and water temp gauges, Cyclops no start, Prodigy brake controller, XM Sattelite Radio, Frozen Rotors and pads, Viair compressor, 5gal air tank, train horn, Fumoto Drain Valve, Clifford Matrix RSX-6 alarm with remote start, Xenon fender flares, CCV Mod, Innovative Diesels SCT with extreme tune, Banks Technicooler, Mag-Hytek tranny pan and diff. cover and more mods to come.

Sent Back(Old School) Quadzilla 160 Module (Shifting Problems)
Sold Banks 6 Gun (Not near enough power)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in