Simple upgrades? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Simple upgrades?

Hey as of today I am officially a diesel owner. I bought an 04 f-250 with a 6.0 and 66,000 milies. It is completly stock and I wanted to do some simple upgrades. I was thinking 4 inch turbo back exhaust and a cold air intake. I don't want to get too carried away if I can help it. Any advice on what to do and what brands to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM

My Photos: (19)
Send a message via Yahoo to redcell6613
I would put a coolant filter on it as well......dieselsite makes a good kit.

2002 F350 Lariat LE Dually 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L, 4.10 gears, GTP38-R, Stage 1's, Custom Tunes, MBRP exhaust w/ stacks, 11 ISSPRO gauges, F-650 lower dash, Oil / Coolant / Tranny bypass filters, S&B Intake, Marinco Mod, Custom hydroboost remote filter / reservoir system, HPX, FRX, Bilsteins and Mag-hytec Rear / Front Diff Covers, 6.0L trans cooler / power steering cooler, Pioneer touchscreen with Alpine speakers all the way around.

2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition
6.0 Liter: EGR Delete, S&B Intake, Sinister Intake Elbow and IC Pipes, Gryphon FICM Tuner, X4 with Gearhead Tunes, Edge CTS Monitor, MBRP Exhaust, Bilstein Shocks and Stabilizer, ARP Head Studs, MBRP Exhaust

2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 3.5 Inch AEV Lift Kit, Fox Racing Remote Reservoir Adjustable Shocks, Fox Steering Stabilizers, AEV Rear and Front Bumpers, Prodigy Performance Stage 2 Turbo Charger and Injectors, Prodigy Tunes, AEV Wheels, Mickey Thompson MTX 35" Tires, Terraflex Bumps.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcell6613 View Post
I would put a coolant filter on it as well......dieselsite makes a good kit.
That would be the FIRST upgrade I would do, and after that some sort of way to monitor the engine coolant temp and engine oil temp to keep an eye for too big a spread between the two.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM

X2 on the moniter.

You just have to see the temperature spread between ECT and EOT. In my case ignorance was bliss and that cost me $12000 for a newer short block. Do yourself a favour and get a moniter either an EDGE CS or CTS or any other mentioned on this site.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM

My Photos: (1)
You might consider first a set of gauges. That way you can monitor your current normal values and when you add any mods later you can gauge the difference (sorry, couldn't help the pun). If you tow, or plan on towing, the Trans Temp gauge is a must. Before you say it, yes I know you already have one, but the stock gauge is worthless. It will read in the normal range if you just let the truck idle in the driveway on a cold morning. There's also no numerals on it, and for good reason. I real gauge is good to have. We have some popular kits here if you're interested. If you have any questions about them let me know.
Ford Factory Matched Gauge Kits
For an intake the S&B is a good product for the price.
Exhaust, go with MBRP and you wont be dissatisfied.

David Murphy
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM

My Photos: (5)
Congrats on the truck, and welcome!
1. Monitor!!! Now!! Edge CS or CTS or the Scangauge II is a cheaper option.
2. Coolant filter is an excellent suggestion. Has the coolant been flushed and maintained on this truck? There are several companies that sell bypass coolant filters (I have the dieselsite one) and more recently an increased flow coolant filter has been marketed by IPR Research. It's pricier but handles a higher rate of flow.
3. I have an MBRP turbo-back exhaust and it works great. '03 and early '04 trucks benefit from a turbo-back because the factory downpipe was crimped and wrinkled (not mandrel bent).
4. By and large I think aftermarket intakes are a complete waste of money on a 6.0. Cold air intake?? Aftermarket intakes suck air from the engine compartment. What's "cold" about that? And filtration on the stock air filter is unmatched.

2014 F250 Platinum CC Short Bed 4x4, 6.2 (I Got Gas Now!)
2003 F250 XLT CC Long Bed 4x4, 6.0 w/Auto (SOLD)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM

My Photos: (19)
Send a message via Yahoo to redcell6613
x2 on the Edge unit and keeping the stock air intake.

2002 F350 Lariat LE Dually 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L, 4.10 gears, GTP38-R, Stage 1's, Custom Tunes, MBRP exhaust w/ stacks, 11 ISSPRO gauges, F-650 lower dash, Oil / Coolant / Tranny bypass filters, S&B Intake, Marinco Mod, Custom hydroboost remote filter / reservoir system, HPX, FRX, Bilsteins and Mag-hytec Rear / Front Diff Covers, 6.0L trans cooler / power steering cooler, Pioneer touchscreen with Alpine speakers all the way around.

2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition
6.0 Liter: EGR Delete, S&B Intake, Sinister Intake Elbow and IC Pipes, Gryphon FICM Tuner, X4 with Gearhead Tunes, Edge CTS Monitor, MBRP Exhaust, Bilstein Shocks and Stabilizer, ARP Head Studs, MBRP Exhaust

2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 3.5 Inch AEV Lift Kit, Fox Racing Remote Reservoir Adjustable Shocks, Fox Steering Stabilizers, AEV Rear and Front Bumpers, Prodigy Performance Stage 2 Turbo Charger and Injectors, Prodigy Tunes, AEV Wheels, Mickey Thompson MTX 35" Tires, Terraflex Bumps.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM

My Photos: (2)
Blue spring upgrade for your fuel pressure. if you are 4wd clean and repack your hubs. mine are currently locked in in the auto position.

2003 F350 crew cab 4x4 , 295's on 17's, performance MFG coolant filer, Blue spring, new HFCM, FICM, Batteries and Alt. SCT performance tune, 128k on engine 12/13. Stock everything else.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome
As posted the stock air intake is as good as they come spend your money on other things that count like a coolant filter, gauges I like the Edge CTS, fuel gauge under 45lbs at WOT kills injectors use only Ford or Racor filters and a good 5w40 Syn oil, your injectors will like it and change the oil around 5k because of the shear of the oil by the injectors. If your deltas look good ( ECT-EOT max spread 15*) do a coolant flush to ditch the Ford Gold junk coolant install a good Cat EC-1 Rated coolant and do alot of ing.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB

Edge Insight CTS with Expandable pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-100
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

So I am thinking of the Edge Insight CS, coolant filter, 4" turbo back exhaust anda blue spring upgrade? Im not sure if the blue spring is needed or not. Also if I do straight pipe exhaust will I have to get a chip to clear engine light codes? The diesel shop in town told me exhaust, chip and air intake would run about $4500. I laughed and left. Any advice on blue spring and exhaust I would appreciate.

Thanks
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoguy1 View Post
So I am thinking of the Edge Insight CS, coolant filter, 4" turbo back exhaust anda blue spring upgrade? Im not sure if the blue spring is needed or not. Also if I do straight pipe exhaust will I have to get a chip to clear engine light codes? The diesel shop in town told me exhaust, chip and air intake would run about $4500. I laughed and left. Any advice on blue spring and exhaust I would appreciate.

Thanks
Every 6.0 needs the fuel reg spring to keep from kill your injectors.
If you are going to do the exhaust do the turbo back and go from there and forget about the air intake these 6.0 have the best one going good to 500hp. You will need the SCT to turn off the wrench if you do a egr delete and go with the CTS it has a bigger screen.
2 stroker

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Boots

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
1700 Super Chip
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Every 6.0 needs the fuel reg spring to keep from kill your injectors.
If you are going to do the exhaust do the turbo back and go from there and forget about the air intake these 6.0 have the best one going good to 500hp. You will need the SCT to turn off the wrench if you do a egr delete and go with the CTS it has a bigger screen.
2 stroker
Yes, do the blue spring upgrade - it's easy and cheap peace of mind. I don't think EGR delete will throw a code on an '04 - just '05+. If you delete EGR cooler there's a new one-piece job out by IPR, I think. One piece means fewer connections to spring a leak.
Might check to see if you have the butterfly valve in the intake elbow. If so you can take that nonsense out.

2014 F250 Platinum CC Short Bed 4x4, 6.2 (I Got Gas Now!)
2003 F250 XLT CC Long Bed 4x4, 6.0 w/Auto (SOLD)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM

JIM C, you are right by the time I started writing I forgot what year it was, need to fill in your Sig.
2 stroker

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Boots

Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
1700 Super Chip
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Like I said i've never owned a diesel. Everyone says use synthetic oil. I have always used Delo 400 15W40. Is there anything wrong with this. Just curious if so and why.

Thanks
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
My advice... If your going straight pipe. Just remove the cat and muffler. Get either delete pipes and keep the 3.5" pipe. The extra .5" isn't going to make a much of a difference. Should set you back less that 150 bucks done if you do it. Toss in a sct programmer or gryphoon programmer with custom tunes and keep the stock intake. You will notice a huge power increase for the money spent. It will be the bigge bang for the buck you will get. Next huge gain will be in the form of a turbo and/ or injectors for 2 grand minimum + supporting mods.

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in