Stacking Six Gun w/sct. Anyone done it - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stacking Six Gun w/sct. Anyone done it

Ok heres the skinny, I have a sixgun with the IQ monitor and an egr delete. im looking to stack with an sct x3 with costum tranny tunes and egr cel delete tune.
Now i know you guys are gonna say ditch the banks and go with the sct but im absolutly in love with my IQ. I can monitor everything with this even my mpg now with the update (my truck is pretty much bare bones xlt so i dont have the onboard computer to monitor stuff) so with that said does anyone have any info on this subject?
I do have my banks on craigs list right now but i have not budged on the price and only one guy offered me $600 for it so im thinking i just want to keep it.

2010 bone stock f350 lariet, time to start over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 AM

did you find anything out,im in the same situation.want sct tunes but love my banks info

2004.5 f350 cc lb fx4 lariat
arp studs
airraid intake
banks six gun w/pda
ss mbrp cool duals turbo back w/cat
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Well I do know the only tunes you will be able to stack with the banks is a tranny tune and the egr delete tune. You have to put you truck back to stock completely disconnect your six gun put your sct tunes in and reconnect the banks and you can have all your power tunes from the banks.
Is it worth the money, prob not unless you don't won't your check engine light on from having an egr delete kit.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM

I have exactly the set up you are asking about on my 07 F250 Crew Cab, only it is the older 6 Gun with PDA and Big Hoss bundle. I love the Banks system, but it does nothing for the transmission. That said, I bought a SCT X3. You don't have to remove the Banks system or unhook it to program with the SCT as the Banks system is a tuner (works inline), not a programmer and does not change the stock program or interfere with flashing the program. You just unplug the OBD II connector, plug in the SCT and program away. When you are done, plug the Banks OBD II connector back in for your monitoring and engine control, then drive away. Just make sure you select transmission only programming. You should be able to use a stock SCT X3. Then you will have canned programs to use in other vehicles if you like when not using in your truck, or if you are careful to be sure you have your Banks system in power level 1 (stock) you could compare performance of the SCT programmer with the Banks tuner.

By the way. I did the EGR mod and got codes, so I left everything as modified, but put the EGR valve back in the intake and plugged it in electrically. Since the passages are otherwise blocked off, same result, but the computer is happy; no codes. I did this to my 2007 and my 2005.

2007 F250 4x4 Crew Cab SB XLT w/4" Superlift 4-link conversion and Banks Big Hoss w/6 Gun and PDA, ARP studs, coolant filter, and EGR cooler on vacation.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AIR-PIPE; 02-07-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something I wanted to add.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 AM

Hey, so first post here but long time member of the ORG.

So, from what I gather, it's totally possible to get custom tunes flashed and still run the banks kit as long as it's on level one?

BTW I have a 04 F350 CCLB SRW with the big hoss bundle and banks iq.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz4swamper View Post
Hey, so first post here but long time member of the ORG.

So, from what I gather, it's totally possible to get custom tunes flashed and still run the banks kit as long as it's on level one?

BTW I have a 04 F350 CCLB SRW with the big hoss bundle and banks iq.
I don't see why that would be a problem. However, the Banks system makes so much power in Speed Loader mode, I am not sure why you would want to do that other than for the transmission programming. In fact, I wish Banks would make a transmission program to work with their 6 Gun. I would trust it more. Here is the problem. The stock torque converter only handles about 700 lb ft of torque. The Banks system with the Big Hoss on Speed Loader makes 800 lb ft or more to the rear wheels. If you program the transmission to lock the converter in low gears, the power will tear it apart. I know, I did it. $4,000 mistake. The moral of the story, BE CAREFUL.

2007 F250 4x4 Crew Cab SB XLT w/4" Superlift 4-link conversion and Banks Big Hoss w/6 Gun and PDA, ARP studs, coolant filter, and EGR cooler on vacation.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I have the speed loader... It's been about a year since I bought and installed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-PIPE View Post
I have exactly the set up you are asking about on my 07 F250 Crew Cab, only it is the older 6 Gun with PDA and Big Hoss bundle. I love the Banks system, but it does nothing for the transmission. That said, I bought a SCT X3. You don't have to remove the Banks system or unhook it to program with the SCT as the Banks system is a tuner (works inline), not a programmer and does not change the stock program or interfere with flashing the program. You just unplug the OBD II connector, plug in the SCT and program away. When you are done, plug the Banks OBD II connector back in for your monitoring and engine control, then drive away. Just make sure you select transmission only programming. You should be able to use a stock SCT X3. Then you will have canned programs to use in other vehicles if you like when not using in your truck, or if you are careful to be sure you have your Banks system in power level 1 (stock) you could compare performance of the SCT programmer with the Banks tuner.

By the way. I did the EGR mod and got codes, so I left everything as modified, but put the EGR valve back in the intake and plugged it in electrically. Since the passages are otherwise blocked off, same result, but the computer is happy; no codes. I did this to my 2007 and my 2005.
Thanks for that info, guess I was miss informed. Gonna have to try plugging in an egr now.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz4swamper View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I have the speed loader... It's been about a year since I bought and installed.
You should have it if you have updated your IQ lately, its the program after number 6. Its insane I've only used it once just too see I don't have head studs yet.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvad View Post
You should have it if you have updated your IQ lately, its the program after number 6. Its insane I've only used it once just too see I don't have head studs yet.
Ahh, ok. Yeah, I haven't updated yet. That's on my list to do though.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Sorry to bump an old post. Regarding this discussion I have an 05 f350 swb srw cc 6.0 3.73 w the six gun and speed loader. Older system w the dial not the iq. I have the banks torque converter. Should I be afraid of using higher settings? I haven't run it past 3 yet because im trying to milk the mpg. However I heard someone say that the 6 position gave them better mpg due to increase power if u keep ur foot out of it.. What settings does everyone run there's on? Also all the tranny problems I've heard about seem to stem from the torque converter that trashes the tranny not the tranny by itself failing.... any thoughts?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 03:12 PM

My Photos: (1)
Air-pipe answered my question...! Great to here.. Love the Banks gauges, not to thrilled with the tunes.. Time to do some flashing!

DL

Harley Davidson F-350

INTERIOR:Harley trim package with Captain chairs front and rear with center console's. AUDIO:
Kenwood Excellon DNN992 HU, Kenwood Excellon 4way 5x7 in front & 6x9's boxed behind rear headrests powered by a Pioneer600 4ch amp
SUB: JL AUDIO W5 thin line in a custom box behind rear center console, powered by a Kenwood1000 Mono amp.
ENGINE: Mishimoto Intercooler Pipes & boots. Sinister Diesel Coolant filter kit. K&N Air Box & filter. FICM bullet proofed. SCTX4
SUSPENSION: All MOOG front end joints and bushings, Spicer U-joints, Timken Hubs . RanchoRS5's in front and rear. Skyjacker leaf springs.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:15 AM

Doesn't the livewire give you more gauge options now then the banks? I have the IQ and I can't see items like FICM voltage and ICP to name a few. I've been thru 2 IQ's now since they keep failing to communicate and give me gauge data so I'm thinking of giving the livewire a try.

2005 F-350 FX4 XLT 4x4 CC/LB Torqshift with Diamond Back ATV Truck Cover, Zoodad Mod
Banks Monster Exhaust and Accufab intake elbow from Innovative Diesel
Coolant Filter with Delo ELC, 285/75/18 Toyo RT with 2.5" leveling kit, PHP Atlas 40 tuned FICM
Mag-Hytec Differential Covers and Transmission Pan
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:04 PM

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzurick View Post
Doesn't the livewire give you more gauge options now then the banks? I have the IQ and I can't see items like FICM voltage and ICP to name a few. I've been thru 2 IQ's now since they keep failing to communicate and give me gauge data so I'm thinking of giving the livewire a try.

As far as gauge sizing and tune on the fly. I read a lot of bad reviews about the live wire, and the customer service is supposedly useless for the livewire.. That's the only reason I bought the SCT Performance 7015 X4. I also read trying to monitor multiple things like you would on the IQ (i.e Oil, Coolant, Egts, Trans, Mph) is very hard to see or read due to poor screen quality and size (pixels)..

I agree.. Not sure why voltage isn't on the IQ... I will say that I went through several Banks six gun units on my other truck, thats why i bought the SCT.. The Truck I just picked up already has the six gun with the IQ.. Thats why I was wondering if these can be staked.. I prefer the SCT tunes vs the Banks. I would like to see SCT update the livewire to a comparable size screen like the IQ but with better graphics and a faster processor.. The Livewire unit itself, is very old tech and sooner than later we should see something new... I will say this... I REFUSE to buy another 6 gun...

Also, if your IQ is no longer working try replacing the internal battery.. I had that happen to me as well.. New battery made it work as good as new!! Good Luck!

DL

Harley Davidson F-350

INTERIOR:Harley trim package with Captain chairs front and rear with center console's. AUDIO:
Kenwood Excellon DNN992 HU, Kenwood Excellon 4way 5x7 in front & 6x9's boxed behind rear headrests powered by a Pioneer600 4ch amp
SUB: JL AUDIO W5 thin line in a custom box behind rear center console, powered by a Kenwood1000 Mono amp.
ENGINE: Mishimoto Intercooler Pipes & boots. Sinister Diesel Coolant filter kit. K&N Air Box & filter. FICM bullet proofed. SCTX4
SUSPENSION: All MOOG front end joints and bushings, Spicer U-joints, Timken Hubs . RanchoRS5's in front and rear. Skyjacker leaf springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in