SuperChip 1704 question - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: SuperChip 1704 question

Maybe I need to start over again...

I have a 2003 6.0 liter F-350 with (probable) December '02 build date and auto trans w/ heavy duty groups and towing package. The computer has never been flashed. I ordered it from the factory and got all the bells and whistles minus stereo upgrade and redneck (clearance) lights. I recently went from 265's to 285's. Power and mileage went poopoo on me. I would like to get AT LEAST the power back. If mileage comes up that's a bonus. I thought ('cuz I'm lazy) that the SC would be the way to go but people say "no you have to flash it first". Don't want to do that because it's still quiet when it idles and the flash makes that be untrue. SOOOO I thought I'd bite the bullet and do the edge chip and now I hear about trans issues. I'm REALLY confused now. Please help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif[/img]

2003 F-350 Crew 4X4 SWB 6.0 liter pulling a 2003 Keystone Montana 2880RL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 07:51 PM

My Photos: (26)

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I need to start over again...

I have a 2003 6.0 liter F-350 with (probable) December '02 build date and auto trans w/ heavy duty groups and towing package. The computer has never been flashed. I ordered it from the factory and got all the bells and whistles minus stereo upgrade and redneck (clearance) lights. I recently went from 265's to 285's. Power and mileage went poopoo on me. I would like to get AT LEAST the power back. If mileage comes up that's a bonus. I thought ('cuz I'm lazy) that the SC would be the way to go but people say "no you have to flash it first". Don't want to do that because it's still quiet when it idles and the flash makes that be untrue. SOOOO I thought I'd bite the bullet and do the edge chip and now I hear about trans issues. I'm REALLY confused now. Please help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

KD,

It is very confusing because every tuner/box company you call up will tell you their product is perfect and has no shifting issues......well Quad is honest and works patiently with me with my issues. I have used the Predator, SC1704, Banks, Edge, TS, Quadzilla and on 3 different 6.0s and can tell you the only one that shifts perfectly is the SC1704 version 5.03. If you don't want to flash you problably will have to use a "box". If you want the best of both worlds and don't mind spending a little extra cash the SCT (Superchips Custom Tuner not to be confused with Superchips Microtuner) will tune just your tranny profile and you can use the Edge for power. You may also want to verify the SCT may work with the older trucks, not sure.

PM me if you want more detailed info.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:19 PM

My Photos: (5)

If you do not flash, you have no choice but to go with a module. Modules seem to not shift as good because they do not control the tranny (or at least they didn't used to).

I went ahead and got flashed to the Oct 2003 flash and used the superchips. It shifted a little harse so I sent it back and got 5.03. It shifts flawlessly and is very fast.

The choice is yours, module and have shifting issues or get flashed and go with a programmer or custom tune and not tear up your tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:56 PM

My Photos: (26)

[ QUOTE ]

The choice is yours, module and have shifting issues or get flashed and go with a programmer or custom tune and not tear up your tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, but if he leaves a module on the lowest setting he should be fine with the shifting.

The SC1704 version 5.03 is really the best shifting tuner/module I have ever used.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 07:20 PM

Did ya'll get better fuel mileage after putting the Superchips on your truck, or did your fuel mileage decrease?

2007.5 Chevy 2500 HD (Dark Blue) - LMM Duramax & Allison - C/C S/B 4x4 Z71 - Sirius Sat Radio & iPod (thanks PIE Interface) - Oil Guard Bypass Filtration - 2 Micron Caterpillar Fuel Filtration - EGR Blocker Plate - PCV Reroute - MBRP 4" Turbo Back - EFI Live
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 09:27 PM

My Photos: (5)

Fuel mileage didn't change on the performance tune but I get a little better with the economy tune. But not more than 1 to 1.5 mpg.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 04:27 AM

KD7LAG,

Did the power loss and mileage happen exactly when you changed tire sizes? Have you checked your intercooler hoses to make sure that they are fully seated and the clamps are tight? If the idle is still good, but you have suddenly lost power and MPG, I would suspect the intercooler hoses may be leaking causing a loss of boost.

2008 6.4 King Ranch 4x4 LB SRW
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
KD7LAG,

Did the power loss and mileage happen exactly when you changed tire sizes? Have you checked your intercooler hoses to make sure that they are fully seated and the clamps are tight? If the idle is still good, but you have suddenly lost power and MPG, I would suspect the intercooler hoses may be leaking causing a loss of boost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. In fact the intercooler hose was just replaced about 6 months ago. It wore through (REALLY like those Ford spring clamps) and when the dealer replaced the hose they used the wrong one. Took it to a different dealer and got it fixed RIGHT! That was in May. Yes the milage and power loss was immediate upon installation of the 285's. I appreciate the input, though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes the milage and power loss was immediate upon installation of the 285's.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I put 285's on my Excursion and it didn't make really any difference in power or MPG. I can boil the rear tires through 1-2 gear with the SC tuner. Without I can still get them going through 1st pretty well.

MPG is 12-14 around town and 16-19 on the HWY depending on all the factors, A/C or not, which SC tune (I actually think I lost 1.5 to 2 MPG around town with Tow tunr over HP tune) speed etc.

FYI, I never did get the rev's per mile changed either. Speedo is right on according to GPS.

Did anything alse change? In reality, your MPG according to your overhead should have started "showing" lower MPG becasue you're now covering more ground than you speedo/odo says you are becasue of the 1/2" or so taller tire. Mine is almost always right on compared to hand calc. MPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 EB Excursion, 4x4, 6.0, Magnaflow Exhaust, Isspro Gauges in an under cubby pod, Fumoto, V code front springs, bubba lights and newly added so called bullet proofing, including PMax turbo.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

You know what?!?!? You're right. I never "did the math". Just went by the OHC. I told you I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. BUT the percieved power loss is real. I did drop my ability to pull the 5th wheel up a steep grade like I used to. I will start doing manual checking on the MPG on my next tank. Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in