Technical Info on AFE Pro Guard or Quadzilla Intake Systems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:05 AM

Technical Info on AFE Pro Guard or Quadzilla Intake Systems

I've been emailing people but am not getting anywhere on the HP and Torque figures for the AFE Pro Guard, not the standard filter, or the Quadzilla intake. I emailed Quadzilla for Dyno number, installation instructions, details, ANYTHING , but have not received any info. I still think the AFE seems like a lot of dough for a new can and a filter considering the 7.3 complete intake system is LESS ! Any info, pictures, seat of the pants feel, ANYTHING you guys have especially on the Quadzilla would be appreciated.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:23 AM

My Photos: (30)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Technical Info on AFE Pro Guard or Quadzilla Intake Systems

The Quadzilla Monster intake is a good quality piece. It replaces the whole factory Air box with a powdercoated metal enclosure. The MAF sensor is removed from the factory elbow (with the supplied Security Torx bit) then reinstalled in the new Quad box. It has shrouding from the engine compartment and seals to the hood. They use Green Filters brand filters and they are very similar to K&N except they are green. I can't tell you about performance because I put the Turbo Back 4" exhaust (-muffler) and the 120hp module all at the same time. In stock mode it feels stronger but who knows. Try calling Quad maybe they can e-mail you some pics/info.

2018 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 4x4 DRW 6.7
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:00 PM

My Photos: (0)

I just installed an aFe filter (which I purchased from DPPI) and I did notice that the turbo boost comes on a bit sooner (I have an AutoMeter boost gauge), but I can't say that I felt any real "seat of the pants" difference. I'm sure it did add a few ponies and a bit to mileage, but more important for me, I can now add a Juice Box and get the full potential from it.

Also, just as important is that with the ProGuard7 filter, I don't sacrifice any of the filtration quality from the factory filter.

I don't know if this answers your questions or not, but it didn't look like anyone was, so I thought I'd chime in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Don

'03 Lariat LE Dually - 6.0L PowerHouse
almost all options
Edge Juice module
Turbo back DPPI SS exhaust w/the cat
full gauges on A-pillar
Garmin GPS V
checker'd flag and 6X6 graphics
(still just beginning....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:49 AM

My Photos: (7)

TeeBird,

AFE claims 14 Ft Lbs peak torque and 64 Ft LBS max torque. The max is at 1200 rpm and the peak is at 2200 rpm. HP is usually approx 50-60% of torque so thats approx 7 hp and 32 or so hp, they didn't kist it so thats a bit of a guess. Now can you feel it on a stock truck , yes, does it knock you in the back seat no. DON'T buy an air intake system just for the HP/torque gains, buy it for the increased air delivery and potential MPG gains, but mostly for the air it adds so that you can add a module like the Edge Juice for the HP/torque you're after. An engine is an air pump, if you add fuel and not the correct air volume, you're making EGT's, if you add air and fuel and can't get it gone (exhaust) you're adding egts. Of course this is all based on how you use the truck, some folks can use the Juice and no intake or exhaust (not reccommended) and get away with it with not terribly hot egts. I can't, I like to nail it too often and too much, loaded or not. If I have the power I'm going to use and and I know it (most folks are the same too, the maybe won't admit it), so I want the extra air and exhaust flow capabilities etc.

Now the converse of all of this is is you're not going to buy a Juice and you're just looking for a good power increase, that's based on air only an intake and a exhaust system will get you approx 20-25 HP, something you can feel for sure. It will also make the turbo spool sooner and you might even get some MPG's too! The engine will love you for it as it has to work less hard to perform the same amount of work and it's running with cooler egt's as well. What you're after is the best thermal efficiency (BTU's) use of the fuel you burn, more air equals better burn equals better performance and MPG.

Now on the Pro Guard 7, first thing go to www.proguard7.com and read up on it. I have never been a promoter of gauze filters in the past, do a search on me you'll see tons of posts on it etc. The PG7 is the first and maybe the only that is designed for diesel use. It flows a little less (8-12%) than the 4 layer gauze filters but it meets paper filter dirt stopping specs, for me that is of prime importance. It is more expensive, but go price 10 of the Ford filters and then it looks real cheap, by the way I have 3 new Ford filters someone needs to own at a bargain!!!! Anyway hope this helps you get a handle on the air exhaust questions, if not call us and we'll talk in person, 866-455-7788.

Mark @ DPPI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in