Tow tune vs lower gear ratio - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tow tune vs lower gear ratio

I'll admit that I'm not a regular reader of this or any forum but I tend to lurk around when I have a question about my superduty. If this question has been asked a thousand times already, I apologize. But humor me if you will. I drive an 07 6.0 250 with 3:73 gears. I've been pulling a 6000lb TT for the last few years and the truck has no issues doing so. I just purchased a 5er that weighs in at 12K. I live in Florida so the roads are pretty flat and I don't think I'll be heading to the mountains. Here's my question. I want to be able to pull onto the highway and maintain highway speeds (65ish). The driveline guy says to go to 4:10 or 4:30 gears. The tuning guy says to skip new gears and do a 5" exhaust and a tow tune. Of course, they both want to sell their own services.
I figured it best to get answers from people who are living it, not just selling it. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that the truck is bone stock with the exception or her delete.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Damned autocorrect ....egr delete!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:21 AM

My Photos: (8)
Go stand next to a fire and you will get the same effect!! Smoke up your a$$!! I have run 3 7.3 Fords all will pull a 12k 5th wheel stock with no problems! I have done chips, exhaust, turbo, and a lot of other mods because I like to play. My new to me is a stock early 99 DRW with 4.10 rear auto. It will pull my 31 ft 5th wheel just fine over Alaska hills and we have a few big hills. A 6.0 has a lot more HP to make up for the gears!!! Save the money for bullet proof upgrades. Give it a year the way it is if you are not happy upgrade.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, just pulled the new camper home from the dealer. 12000lbs is heavy. But, the truck pulled it better than I expected. Never got much over 60 due to traffic, but I'm not as worried about it now. Still might do gears though, just cause I want to. Thanks Denny.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide1602 View Post
Well, just pulled the new camper home from the dealer. 12000lbs is heavy. But, the truck pulled it better than I expected. Never got much over 60 due to traffic, but I'm not as worried about it now. Still might do gears though, just cause I want to. Thanks Denny.
Just some food for thought....picture yourself pulling on a rope tied around a spool. The spool has some drag, but you have no issues pulling the rope. Add some more drag to the spool and your arms start to feel the burn of the added load and the rope has more tension on it. You work out a bit and this eases your burden some and the rope is surviving with the added tension. Add some more drag to the spool and once again your arms are burning and the rope is beginning to reach its max sustainable load. You work out some more making it easier once again for you to pull the rope. However, with your newfound strength, you manage to pull harder than what the rope can sustain. At some point the rope prematurely fails and you are no longer pulling on the spool without repairing the rope. The working out and stressing of the rope both could have been avoided by simply changing the diameter of the spool in anticipation of the added drag.

Been pulling for years and I can say that nothing compares to pulling with the right gears. Have pulled with absurd 3.42 gears right up thru the tall 4.56's. In nearly every instance, 4.10's have felt the best. Only with tires larger than 35's has it seemed that I could have used more gear.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Now that's a pretty good analogy. Gears it is. Thank you Sir.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:49 PM

I have a '03 F350 4X4 dually 6.0 that I pull a 15K 5'r with and it does fine with 3.73 until I get in the mountains. This spring I am going to change to 4.30's to help that. I have a friend that has an almost identical truck and 5'r with the 4.30's and he gets over 1 MPG better than I do on the same trips and I can't come close to staying with him in the mountains, empty not towing around town he get the same MPG as I do. I can do the work myself so it is just the parts cost but it still ain't cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in