TOWING WITH PREDATOR - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:04 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: TOWING WITH PREDATOR

supposedly the tow mode is 65 horse, not 40. But I could be wrong so dont hold me to it. Worst case scenerio, try it carefully and see what your temp goes up to, mine isnt too bad unless Im trying to go 90 up hill.

04 6.0, volant intake, 4 inch exhaust, NOR-CAL TRUCKS custom 13 inch lift, GOLDENFOX CUSTOMS interior-dark gray suede insets with light gray leather, GOLDENFOX CUSTOMS paint-two tone candy with stripe, NO BADGES, KAR TUNZ custom stereo, 20 inch chrome weld commandos with 40" toyo's, 4:56 gears, and some fast stuff by DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:07 PM

My Photos: (6)

According to www.diablosport.com
the tow mode is 40hp up to the factory towing limit
the econ mode is 65hp up to 8000 lbs,
and the 100 hp mode is no towing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

if you have a turbo back, bet the egt's won't be a problem...

Ask them over at diablo or call them at 800-531-5484

I don't sell them, just been happily using one since jan.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

2012 f250 6.7 CC SB 4x4 20's, MBRP filter back exhaust, Tonno-Pro bedcover. Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch, Airlift Airbags, For Sale - Roadmaster Active Suspension and ProPride 3P Hitch used 3 times
2012 MVP Destiny 355RE 5th wheel
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:01 PM

My Photos: (7)

FullThrottle,

"Laoded with Dirt Bikes, water, fuel and everything else to last a weekend I'm at 11,700 lbs. I've been towing in the 40 hp "Towing Mode" of the Preditor with no problems. My exhaust tempature is steady at 750 degrees 4" after the turbo."

Your above statement is very dangerous, move that probe pre turbo and you'll add approx 600 degrees to that 750 for a total of 1350.

I CAN'T SAY IT OFTEN ENOUGH OR LOUD ENOUGH, IF YOU ADD A MODULE OR PROGRAMMER WITH OT WITHOUT EXHAUST AND OR INTAKE GET A SET OF GAUGES.

You will know what is happening and what to do about it. Don't you guys think the manufactruers are in the biz of selling programmers and modules!!! I mean really just becasue they say it's OK to tow, do you really think it's safe!!! I have tried all kinds of programmers and modules with 7.3 and 6.0's and the EGT's get out of line with any small HP upgrade when you get over 6000 lbs and a good 5 % grade. Do yourself a favor, get some gauges.

Mark @ DPPI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:07 PM

My Photos: (15)

[ QUOTE ]
FullThrottle,

"Laoded with Dirt Bikes, water, fuel and everything else to last a weekend I'm at 11,700 lbs. I've been towing in the 40 hp "Towing Mode" of the Preditor with no problems. My exhaust tempature is steady at 750 degrees 4" after the turbo."

Your above statement is very dangerous, move that probe pre turbo and you'll add approx 600 degrees to that 750 for a total of 1350.

I CAN'T SAY IT OFTEN ENOUGH OR LOUD ENOUGH, IF YOU ADD A MODULE OR PROGRAMMER WITH OT WITHOUT EXHAUST AND OR INTAKE GET A SET OF GAUGES.

You will know what is happening and what to do about it. Don't you guys think the manufactruers are in the biz of selling programmers and modules!!! I mean really just becasue they say it's OK to tow, do you really think it's safe!!! I have tried all kinds of programmers and modules with 7.3 and 6.0's and the EGT's get out of line with any small HP upgrade when you get over 6000 lbs and a good 5 % grade. Do yourself a favor, get some gauges.

Mark @ DPPI

[/ QUOTE ]

Weld that hole up and put the probe before the turbo before you go KA-BOOM!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 05:27 PM

My Photos: (0)

I towed my truck/trailer into KY and Tn fully loaded with a gvw of 24k I did not use cruise control as it tended to let the temps go too high but driving with my leg ang watching the grades I towed with the predator @ 65hp setting avg 900-1000 degrees pre turbo and maintained 70 mph w/o downshifting
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:43 PM

Mark,

Yes, I have all the gauges ( EGT, Trans and Turbo) but the EGT is post turbo, 4" back where diablosport said to mount it.. Are the temps really that different on the other side? I thought only 200-400 degrees or so. Where do you think the BEST location would be for the sensor. Do the Autometer sensors withstand over 1000 degrees? I know the gauge goes higher but a friend of mine has a Dodge with the sensor mounted on the manifold that keeps burning up at 1200 degrees. I guess I could leave the post turbo and add another gauge for pre turbo. I would really be safe then. Let me know where to mount it.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:52 PM

Yep, I stopped in there today and Brian gave me the newest version. I asked them the same questions. He told me as long as my EGT's post turbo do not exceed 1200 degrees, go ahead and tow in the "Economy Tune" which is 65hp. He also said if I travel out of Florida, back it down to the 40hp "Towing Tune" and watch the gauges. Again, do not exceed 1200 post turbo. I don't know, so many people are saying different things. I think I'm just going to add a second EGT gauge and be done with it. Now, where to mount it?? I already have 3 gauges up the pillar.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 08:38 AM

My Photos: (6)

Post turbo has given the exhaust temps time to dissipate into the mini-heat sink of the turbo and piping, etc... so post turbo WILL be cooler than pre turbo... I'd really think about adding a minimum of 400 to your post turbo settings....

I'd be willing to bet 1200 degrees post turbo will liquify your turbo blades [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2012 f250 6.7 CC SB 4x4 20's, MBRP filter back exhaust, Tonno-Pro bedcover. Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch, Airlift Airbags, For Sale - Roadmaster Active Suspension and ProPride 3P Hitch used 3 times
2012 MVP Destiny 355RE 5th wheel
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM

My Photos: (7)

FullThrottle,

On 7.3's and on the 6.0 (it isn't much different overall) I have done 2 pyros and pre and a post on the same truck and seen over 600 degrees difference when towing heavy and working her hard on a steep grade. The 200-300 degree difference is basically for level ground and small grades. Been there done that, pre turbo is the only way for me and all we reccomend at DPPI. The Auto Meter and DiPricol probes we sell haven't ever had a problem with the heat. What is happening to that Dodge is a mystery to me.

Mark @ DPPI
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:41 AM

I monitor pre and post turbo on my truck. It is about 300-400 degrees higher on the pre turbo side depending on conditions.
Lee

NEW 2005 F250 SD CC 4x4 KR auto, 6.0 diesel, dark copper metallic with every option except PTO and clearance lights. Bully Dog Dyno Dominator with Outlook monitor. Four inch SS turbo-back exhaust and Pro-Guard 7 air intake.

SOLD 2001 SD250CC 4x4 auto, WD triguage pillar mount, WD 4 exhaust, WD ramair with AFE v10 air box, DI's 4 way chip/PMT2/NVK4, WD turbo brake III, SP power module
Garrett BB turbo 1.0 a/r
Crystaline headlights with silverstar bulbs, roll&lock cover, front hidden hitch, woodgrain dash accents, westin stainless steel step tubes,tube grill,AIR HORNS, sonnax valve and tricumulator springs,PPG+ and coolant filter,GC/01-Jr oil bypass filter, Dahl fuel filter TT/Hutch, H/X modifications, single feed and no cv's or LL8
A/C heater mod, 203 degree t-stat Cooper 255/85's on stock rims, Bilstein shocks
A Texan in Ft. White, Fl
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 AM

most modern turbochargers can withstand up to about 1700 degrees. we are not trying to watch our turbochargrs' heat wityh a pyrometer, but trying to watch the mtotrs' output. the pyro in dp thing is/ was an easy way to mount the thing up. it is not the correct place to install one, and really no need to watch egt after turbine.

on my 03 550, i always left the predator in the 100 mode, everything was fine temp wise, but i always puked all the cooling system on ground. i usually grossed in the 30-38k range. i could get it over 1300 degrees if i wanted, but driving at around road speed with cruise, it would never exceed 1275 on a loaded grade. but whether i had the 100 mde in, or the lowest one, everythig was fine, excpet for the coolant loss issue.

does anyone else have the coolant prob wth another tuner other than the predator??

really, the compressor on this turbocharger can not flow enough air to overcome the amount of fuel we can inject, even with this fuel delivery the way it is stock.

the first thing i did to my new truck was built an exhaust, intake, and removed the blowby and the egr from intake. after the pyrometer, i got the programmer thing. the guy who wants to run the computer thin without monitoring stuff may see troubles down the road.?

1997 F-350 4x4 cc 5spd
1999 F-350 4x4 cc 6spd dually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in