Want To bulletproof 6l? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Member
 
justjimmy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: kansas city Missouri
Posts: 63
My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to justjimmy17
"blue spring" upgrade and 6.4 banjo bolts will help keep injectors in check. There are some complete solution kits out there. I got mine from MKM Customs and cost about $1700. It came with sct tuner black onyx gaskets, arp headstuds, oem oil cooler and egr delete kit. There is no such thing as "bulletproof" but if you take care of it and it will run strong for a while. I read alot on here that most guys say to stick with the oem ford headgaskets though. I have the black onyx from sinister and seem to be fine with me.

2004 f-350 xlt '08 bed, tailgate, 35"trail grapplers, 20x10 Helo 8, 3" fabtech level kit, Blue spring upgrade, 6.4 banjo bolts
Sct tuner with custom tunes
5" black powdercoated turbo back exhaust mrbp
Arp headstuds, Sinister coolant filtration, Sinister egr delete
Oil cooler, Glow shift gauges, Upgraded hpop, Upgraded up pipe
54 volt ficm, Rear main seal @ 148,000
Top Gunz dual steering stabilizer Fox cylinders
O-ringed heads with updated Victor Reinz gaskets
Bulletproof diesel radiator, 155cc warren injectors
Powermaxx Stage ll turbo
justjimmy17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
lubbockguy1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: s. arlington, tx
Posts: 1,322
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
if i were to bullet proof the truck so to say and planned on towing alot with 38" tires i would do head studs with ford gaskets. i would delete the egr completely. a coolant filter is a good idea but also changing the coolant ever 50k miles (not km as i dont want to do the math to figure that interval) get a set of gauges that monitor fuel psi, egt, tranny temp, oil temp and coolant temp. (fuel psi is not avalible from the obd2 port and will require a seprate sendor for a digital gauge set up. with analog; gauges it will be about the same on fuel psi. once the egr is deleted you will have a check engine light and to remove that you will need to get a custom tuned device like a sct tuner or the gryphoon. my recomendation is a sct x3 with a edge insight or a gryphoon (which is pretty much a edge evoloution but contains custom tunes from power hungry performance) considering the towing you plan to do i would stay conservative on tuning and stay at a 25-80hp tow tune. using a turbo braking tune will help with towing and is something that is common with sct tow tunes. even with a conservative tune the power increase will be noticable. that should allow a better towing experience and keep you pretty reliable.

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lubbockguy1979 is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
darsey715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,126
My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjimmy17 View Post
"blue spring" upgrade and 6.4 banjo bolts will help keep injectors in check. There are some complete solution kits out there. I got mine from MKM Customs and cost about $1700. It came with sct tuner black onyx gaskets, arp headstuds, oem oil cooler and egr delete kit. There is no such thing as "bulletproof" but if you take care of it and it will run strong for a while. I read alot on here that most guys say to stick with the oem ford headgaskets though. I have the black onyx from sinister and seem to be fine with me.
black onyx vs ford head gaskets? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Don't be fooled by this thread title:
10,000 miles on my Black Onyx heagaskets! So far, so good. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum


Arp Studs + Black Onyx= FAIL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

black onyx - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

2003 6.0 f250
darsey715 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Member
 
justjimmy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: kansas city Missouri
Posts: 63
My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to justjimmy17
@ darsey715. That's your opinion. My truck is at about 525 hrspwr. and the tech that did the work is a lead superduty tech at a Ford dealership. He did the work on the side at his.shop and he did everything correctly. Example check the heads for flatness. I asked him about the black onyx deal and then he pointed to his truck with 450,000 miles on black onyx head gaskets. If the work is done correctly the gaskets aren't going to be failures on the truck. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

2004 f-350 xlt '08 bed, tailgate, 35"trail grapplers, 20x10 Helo 8, 3" fabtech level kit, Blue spring upgrade, 6.4 banjo bolts
Sct tuner with custom tunes
5" black powdercoated turbo back exhaust mrbp
Arp headstuds, Sinister coolant filtration, Sinister egr delete
Oil cooler, Glow shift gauges, Upgraded hpop, Upgraded up pipe
54 volt ficm, Rear main seal @ 148,000
Top Gunz dual steering stabilizer Fox cylinders
O-ringed heads with updated Victor Reinz gaskets
Bulletproof diesel radiator, 155cc warren injectors
Powermaxx Stage ll turbo
justjimmy17 is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
lubbockguy1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: s. arlington, tx
Posts: 1,322
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjimmy17 View Post
@ darsey715. That's your opinion. My truck is at about 525 hrspwr. and the tech that did the work is a lead superduty tech at a Ford dealership. He did the work on the side at his.shop and he did everything correctly. Example check the heads for flatness. I asked him about the black onyx deal and then he pointed to his truck with 450,000 miles on black onyx head gaskets. If the work is done correctly the gaskets aren't going to be failures on the truck. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
450,000................. hmm that sounds kinda high since they started offering the "black onyx gaskets like 2 years ago well maybe 3. he has a 6.0 with 450k on just the black onyx gaskets? that is alot of miles in a short amount of time. i was to the opinion that the black onyx gaskets were better about 2yrs ago and actually purchased a set that never ended up on one of my trucks. i would use the stock international or ford gaskets if i was wasting my time. save money where you can use what works. the guys pushing the limits arent oringing heads and doing crazy things. they are using arp studs and stock gaskets on a motor that supposidly dosent have enough head bolts. btw they are making over 1000 rwhp on those gaskets. my opinion

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lubbockguy1979 is offline  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Member
 
justjimmy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: kansas city Missouri
Posts: 63
My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to justjimmy17
@lubbockguy1979. I stand corrected on 450,000 on black onyx. He has 450,000 on truck and has the black onyx gaskets for 188,000 of that. I would have went the international or ford oem gaskets but my kit I bought came the sinister ones and asked the tech if I should purchase fords or international and he said no need as the black onyx ones will work just as good as the fords or international ones. And my kit was about $1700 for the arp headstuds, black onyx head gaskets, turbo gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, oil cooler, egr delete with new pipe and sct tuner. Didn't think that was a bad price. Probably could have saved a little bit here and there but I didn't have the need to place dead end phone calls all day or search the internet to squeeze a few bucks here and there. And by the way he puts about 1100 miles a week just to go to work at the dealership. Anyways from my understanding its all about your heads and what shape they are in and if the arp headstuds are torqued down in the correct order and lbs. And wow on the 1000 rwhrspwr. fuel mileage has gotta suck on those ponies. I am planning on going to o-ringed heads from Liberator but gonna do some more research before I jump into that.

2004 f-350 xlt '08 bed, tailgate, 35"trail grapplers, 20x10 Helo 8, 3" fabtech level kit, Blue spring upgrade, 6.4 banjo bolts
Sct tuner with custom tunes
5" black powdercoated turbo back exhaust mrbp
Arp headstuds, Sinister coolant filtration, Sinister egr delete
Oil cooler, Glow shift gauges, Upgraded hpop, Upgraded up pipe
54 volt ficm, Rear main seal @ 148,000
Top Gunz dual steering stabilizer Fox cylinders
O-ringed heads with updated Victor Reinz gaskets
Bulletproof diesel radiator, 155cc warren injectors
Powermaxx Stage ll turbo
justjimmy17 is offline  
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
lubbockguy1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: s. arlington, tx
Posts: 1,322
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjimmy17 View Post
@lubbockguy1979. I stand corrected on 450,000 on black onyx. He has 450,000 on truck and has the black onyx gaskets for 188,000 of that. I would have went the international or ford oem gaskets but my kit I bought came the sinister ones and asked the tech if I should purchase fords or international and he said no need as the black onyx ones will work just as good as the fords or international ones. And my kit was about $1700 for the arp headstuds, black onyx head gaskets, turbo gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, oil cooler, egr delete with new pipe and sct tuner. Didn't think that was a bad price. Probably could have saved a little bit here and there but I didn't have the need to place dead end phone calls all day or search the internet to squeeze a few bucks here and there. And by the way he puts about 1100 miles a week just to go to work at the dealership. Anyways from my understanding its all about your heads and what shape they are in and if the arp headstuds are torqued down in the correct order and lbs. And wow on the 1000 rwhrspwr. fuel mileage has gotta suck on those ponies. I am planning on going to o-ringed heads from Liberator but gonna do some more research before I jump into that.
I'm not in any way saying that either black onyx gaskets or orings can't/don't work. I am saying specifically people that are stressing their engines with higher boost and cylinder pressures and abusing them are not having issues with arp studs and ford gaskets. also that they likely are spending thousands of dollars throwing the best parts THAT WORK at these motors. They use ford gaskets exclusively. That being the case I think my daily driving and towing needs will be a lot less demanding. It somes down to your opinion.

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab short bed
lariat 6.0psd
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lubbockguy1979 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome