Where to install tranny temp sensor??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2003-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to install tranny temp sensor???

I really don't want to cut the tranny line to put a fitting in there.

Any other suggestions???

2004.5 Ram 2500 Laramie Sport CTD
1999 F-250 CC PSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 PM

My Photos: (21)
Re: Where to install tranny temp sensor???

See this thread .

It's a 10 minute job if you use the test port.

O

02/03 built F3506L, DRW, 05 Grille, 4" DPPI Exhaust, UltraLites on the A Pillar and Overhead Console, Firestone Bags & Compressor, Hadley Bully air horns, 50 Gallon Transfer Flow, Rancho 9000's, Leveled 2.5/0
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:25 PM

My Photos: (14)

NOOOOOOOOOO don't cut anything. There is a plug on the side of the trans you can use. Most gage kits include the fittings that will fit.I believe it is the test port.

Do a search here or the the aftermarket general section on this. Someone has pictures of it in their photos. Another search phrase would be gage install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 / 04 F350 CC PSD 4x4 Chestnut Brown King Ranch, Quad Captains, DUALLY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, long bed, auto, 4:10LS
Goodies added.
Retrax bed cover

Bed Rug bed liner
KC backup lights
C-Better mirrors
Prodigy Controller
Reese bed rails, bolt on frame install kit
Viair 550C air compressor and 2.5 gal tank
Grover 34 and 36 inch air horns
Pro Flap mud flaps
Autometer cobalt gauges with under cubby pod
Galaxy 95T CB, Wilson 5000 roof mount antenna
DPPI Cat Back Dual Exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:02 AM

I looked high and low for that pick - geese

Goodies added.
Retrax bed cover

Bed Rug bed liner
KC backup lights
C-Better mirrors
Prodigy Controller
Pro Flap mud flaps

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Excellent!!!

I knew there had to be a test port.

Thanks.

1999 F-250 CC PSD
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Just installed it tonight. Took about 2.2minutes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] to do.

1999 F-250 CC PSD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:10 PM

My Photos: (0)

This is my first reply but it is on a topic that I know. The "test port" is not the best place to mount your trans temp sensor for the fact that there is no oil flow over the sensor. That port is a dead end and there for the temp reading is very slow to react and dose not show or tell if your trans cooler might be having a problem until its too late. The best place to install the sensor is in the cooler return line out of the radiator. That is the line that goes to the rear of the trans case. With a compression tee fitting that fits the line cut out a section that will alow the tee to be installed in the line and screw the sending unit into the tee. Using this method will insure there will always be fluid pasing over the sending unit that will give you a much more accurate reading.
Yes I have done this to my torque shift and it works very good. My trans temp rarely gets ovre 125 on the freeway empty.

Scott Trans diagnostic tech.

2003,6.0 psd,cc,torque shift, 3.73,Arizona beige,auto,dual alt,six disc,b/u sensors,power pedals,Autometer Phantom guages Boost, Pyro, Trans in "A" piller tri pod,Isspro turbo timmer,stainless grill,K&N FIPK air filter Cat back four inch w/out the cat into a thirty inch magnaflow and a five inch tip
Play toy:1968 toyota landcruiser with 350 corvett tuned port fuel injection,auto trans,detroit locker York air compressor twin viare 3.5 tanks

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:21 PM

Scott - do you happen to have a picture of this and how do you tell which line to use?

Goodies added.
Retrax bed cover

Bed Rug bed liner
KC backup lights
C-Better mirrors
Prodigy Controller
Pro Flap mud flaps

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:25 PM

Yoda- I do have a photo but the line that you want is the one that goes to the rear of the trans. I installed the fittings in a straight part of line along the side of the trans.

2003,6.0 psd,cc,torque shift, 3.73,Arizona beige,auto,dual alt,six disc,b/u sensors,power pedals,Autometer Phantom guages Boost, Pyro, Trans in "A" piller tri pod,Isspro turbo timmer,stainless grill,K&N FIPK air filter Cat back four inch w/out the cat into a thirty inch magnaflow and a five inch tip
Play toy:1968 toyota landcruiser with 350 corvett tuned port fuel injection,auto trans,detroit locker York air compressor twin viare 3.5 tanks

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 02:21 AM

Why would you want it on the return from the cooler? I think that welding a bung in the pan would be the most accurate way of measuring actual tarns fluid temp. The return line from the cooler is not showing the trans temp, but the cooled fluid before it removes any heat from the trans. Maybe a better choice to use the line from the trans to the cooler to get what the temp is as it comes out. Just my $.02

NOGM

'04 F350 6.0 PSD Torqshift CC XLT srw long bed 4" exhaust w/ 3.5" DP SCT Custom flash tuned
'68 Mustang GT Limited Street
'67 Mustang coupe (being restored)
'97 Ford Contour
'04 H&H 24' Flat Top Enclosed car trailer
Work Truck - 1997 Peterbilt 379 Ext hood
American-Class int, 63" flat top sleeper, all bells n'whistles
3406 Cat 550hp , Eaton 18 speed
Nathan P-3 Train horn
48'X 96" Transcraft Superbeam spread axle flatbed trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 6.0L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in