Another awesome 'custom' veggie conversion - 7.3L PSD - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another awesome 'custom' veggie conversion - 7.3L PSD

This is my latest conversion. The system is based on Jason Crawford's (FN74) check valve design. I use the engine fittings kit from veggie garage that utilizes PTFE-lined SS braided hoses covered in nylon with JIC fittings. This kit eliminates the factory failure-prone steel hard lines and vibra-loc fittings that go from the fuel filter to the heads. This kit puts robust 3/8" check valves (CV's) right at the fuel filter, then feeds the front of the heads with diesel. By locating the CV's up by the filter, we eliminate the heat stress of having them near the up-pipes and also make changing them easier (although there have been no failures yet!). Then, VO is fed to the rear of the heads using SS hard lines with JIC fittings and a SS braided crossover hose is used to connect the heads to the rest of the VO system.

This is the best pic I have of this install... But, you can see the black nylon-coated SS hoses leaving the CV's on the filter. BTW, the nylon coating is to protect everything from the SS hoses. Unprotected, the abrasive hoses can wear a hole in anything they touch. Plus, the black looks cool (and discreet!)

This is the drivers-side SS hard line going to the back of the head with SS braided crossover hose on the front.

Here you can see the crossover hose, the tee and the SS hard line that goes to the rear of the pass-side head.

This pic shows the tee's for the VO system coolant loop and the valve I added to turn off the heat to the heater core for coooolder A/C in the summer time! I will only use brass tee's for this...

My internet is acting up, more later.....

Choose wisely. Or PLEASE post pics of the carnage!!!

2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges on pillar - EGT, Boost, Fuel Press., HPO Press. - No Muffler, AIH delete, SB Con OFE, AC code injctrs (160cc), T4/S366 turbo. Vegistroke-inspired WVO system w/180,000 trouble-free miles! BTS tunes, 203 t-stat w/billet housing, '07 grill/lites and big, bad front bumper!

2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited - BTS trans and tunes, AIS, Frybrid/V3 SVO conversion 120k VO miles - wrecked 4/13, RIP...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's 300k miles on SVO between them!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

removed due to rules violations

Last edited by RDG; 09-04-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

This project had a lot of other things going on, including fully coating the frame for rust mitigation. The truck will be used in western NY... You can see the skidplate for the Excursion fuel tank that has been added for the primary VO tank. It resides where the spare tire was.

Here is the X tank installed and plumbed in. We are using a Hot Fox heated fuel pick-up and then tube-in-hose (TIH) heated aluminum fuel line from the pick-up to the pre-filter. There is also TIH on the return fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator. More about the plumbing later...

This is the top of the tank.

Under the truck, fuel comes from the tank to a Racor PS120 pre-pump filter. I put a valve before the filter to prevent it from draining the tank while the filter is being serviced.

The VO fuel pump and aux coolant pump are located between the pre-filter and the fuel pressure regulator, primary filter, VO-side CV, purge valve and fuel pressure sending unit. You can also see the copper coolant wrap on the primary filter in this pic. Fuel leaves here and travels to the tee to the heads via another SS braided hose from Veggie Garage.

2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges on pillar - EGT, Boost, Fuel Press., HPO Press. - No Muffler, AIH delete, SB Con OFE, AC code injctrs (160cc), T4/S366 turbo. Vegistroke-inspired WVO system w/180,000 trouble-free miles! BTS tunes, 203 t-stat w/billet housing, '07 grill/lites and big, bad front bumper!

2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited - BTS trans and tunes, AIS, Frybrid/V3 SVO conversion 120k VO miles - wrecked 4/13, RIP...

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

This truck has already racked up over 10k miles on WVO. Not the first problem yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in