Best Centrifuge? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Centrifuge?

I'm thinking about getting back into WMO or WVO depending on supply. Can anyone recommend the best centrifuge? Also I have not seen any details on how well they filter in microns.

I've seen two so far that look good but I'm looking for the best possible filtration:

Basic Raw Power Centrifuge - WVO Centrifuges

<font color=#cacaca>a</font>55 GPH Basic WVO Centrifuge Kit

EDIT: I'd like one that will spin the black out of the oil.

Last edited by BenPutnam; 04-13-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 PM

I bought the PA Biodiesel. It supposedly runs at 7000+ rpm and runs on oil pressure of about 75PSI instead of a drive motor. I kind of liked it better for that reason plus it mounts on top of the 55 gal drum. Not as bulky. Less start-up cost.

I do not believe you will get all the black out of your oil. I have yet to run mine, just finished the assembly last weekend and am acquiring the oil needed to start. Looks promising

2003 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD Auto 4X4, Stock with Banks Ram Air intake, IAH Delete, Amsoil fluids, Amsoil bypass filter system, Dieselsite coolant filter, 285/75R-16 BFG A/Ts, Autometer quad pod (boost, pyro, fuel psi, trans temp, GPR light), Marinco mod, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod.

Last edited by 7MAGMIKE; 04-13-2011 at 05:18 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM

I would suggest any gravity feed centrifuge over a pressure driven one. They do a better job of cleaning. You will have to heat the oil & it may take more then one pass but IMHO a gravity feed centrifuge will clean the oil up really good. Alot fo guys are using Leons Raw Power for VO & are very happy with it. Should do the same for WMO.

2001 F-350 Nondually. 244K miles. Pretty much stock. DIY SVO Vegistroke style 2 tank conversion April 2010. 125K miles On Vegi!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Monitoring with Torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM

Raw Power claims to be a single pass unit while the oil pressure unit is a multiple pass unit. If cleaning really dirty oil with a raw power unit you have to run at 10 gph quoted from Turner Biodiesel. So at 10 gph it would take 5 hours to do 50 gal. of wmo. The oil pressure centrifuge like those at PA Biodiesel Supply : Waste Vegetable Oil Cleaning : Biodiesel Centrifuge : Motor Oil : Water Removal : WVO Filtering : Dewatering Centrifuge : WMO Filtration Units take 4 to 5 passes to do the same thing. In other words you are going to process oil for 4 to 5 hours either way.
The main difference would be that a pabiodieselsupply unit is self contained with metal fittings and a hose designed for 4000psi at 400 degrees. The unit is built to run on its own without having to babysit it. Also the PAB unit takes up a 2'X2' area of floor space. That being said the centrifuge is the way to go beating filter bags or house filters.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Hey Ben,
Give us a call and we can discuss the many advantages of the Raw Power Centrifuge. The easiest to visualize is that with a 22oz collection capacity, you can literally put the small pressure driven centrifuges in the collection bowl. Something to think about when you need to remove a significant amount of crap from WMO.

Anyway we would be happy to discuss your specific situation.
(843)972-4211

Leon Griffin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Designs
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM

i recently aquired a simple centrafuge
Simple Centrifuge ...putting a centrifuge in every garage!
i was useing an acme juicer,for testing purposes,and to see if i could get away with it.
it has a 7 inch rotar and turns 3600 rpm's same as simple centrafuge
just had to plug the holes.
IT DID NOT WORK WELL.
and i could not figure out why,i had the feed tube,as close to the wall of oil as possable
and as far down in as possable
adding the oil in the bottom,and very close to the sides.
and very slowley,about 1/2 gallon an hour
ididnt put 2 and 2 toghther until i called simple centrifuge

so i called simple centrafuge,to ask if their machine would work better and why
since i had,im theary the same unit,with the juicer.
what they told me is,that any open face boawl design promotes splashinG
(OH THATS WHAT I WAS HEARING)
they went on to say the splashing,causes massive disruptions in the wall of oil against the sides,and makes dirty oil jump out,and dosent stay in the bowl long enoughf.

their design is a closed bowl design,look at the first 4 pictures on the link
it makes splashing in my opnion,very minimal,if at all

im not going to make crazy statements,or say it's the only game in town.
i used it today for the first real test run of 40 gallons of WMO
that came out of bigrigs,which is 15-40
i ran it about 15 gallons an hour the oil was only 80 deg
and when i was done i emptied the rotar and got about 1/4 of sludge out,all around the perimiterof the rotar.
the raw power CF spins twice the speed,but i feel the splashing affect is significant.

anyway thats my .02

2001 f250 4x4 cc sb , 6 in lift, cheyenne wheels, 3.73 gears, 4 in exhaust with muff delete ,piller gagues, dp 6 pos chip, zoodad ,john wood transmission
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfun View Post
i recently aquired a simple centrafuge
Simple Centrifuge ...putting a centrifuge in every garage!
i was useing an acme juicer,for testing purposes,and to see if i could get away with it.
it has a 7 inch rotar and turns 3600 rpm's same as simple centrafuge
just had to plug the holes.
IT DID NOT WORK WELL...................
My acme seems to be doing a great job. I've only gone about 300 miles on it so far, but I haven't seen a fuel pressure drop from plugging the van's filter.
But I did enjoy checking out Simple Centrifuge's site.
The last time I looked they wanted $2000 for their 'turnkey'. And I really like their new cone design, it makes a lot of since.
I've gota see if I can figure out a way to simulate the effect with my acme
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:50 PM

I have an ACME Juicer as well & have spun thousands of gallons of VO with great success. I only do one pass unless the oil doesn't pass my water test & 95% of the time it does. I do get a few chunks ( I stress the word few) that fly out so I have put a small 5 micron bag filter under the Juicer so the oil coming out of it goes through the bag filter. I get between 5 & 8K miles out of my onboard filter. If I ran the oil more then one pass I could probably get alot more miles out of my onboard filter but the filter is only 13 bucks & all that extra spinning isn't worth it to me.

Sandfun are you sure you have all the holes in the basket covered? I had the same thing happen when I first started & found one little spot I had missed. That's all it takes. I epoxied the inside & outside of the basket to be sure all was covered. The hardest thing I found with the Juicer was to get it so it would not go unstable. It took me a while but I figured out how to acheive this & now it always runs smoothly.

I don't see any reason why the Juicer wouldn't do a great job cleaning WMO as well. Yes I'm sure the Simple & leons centrifuge may work better but I paid 100 bucks to buy & modify mine. For the price I am very pleased with it's performance.

2001 F-350 Nondually. 244K miles. Pretty much stock. DIY SVO Vegistroke style 2 tank conversion April 2010. 125K miles On Vegi!!
Monitoring with Torque.

Last edited by simone0414; 04-17-2011 at 03:53 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 PM

My Photos: (5)
No centrfuge will get the black out of oil. That being said i have the spinner II model 25 and it works great. I was going to get one from PA bio diesel but found the one i have brand new unused for pennys on the dollar on ebay. The guy set it up and never used it. If i was to recommend someone where to buy from for the prices and customer service it would be PA bio diesel hands down. He's a really good guy. Most of the centrfuges like mine will get oil down to 1/2 micron and will get any water out because of heating the oil. Oil comes out great. I then mix mine 85/15 summer 50/50 winter with diesel. I also run it thru a 2 micron fuel filter and a 5 micron water block before going into the truck. Just to be safe
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Hey Guys,

I really don't think "splashing" is the correct term. The basic open bowl design that we supply uses a long nipple to introduce the oil quite near the bottom of the rotor bowl. I don't recommended it but I have opened the lid while the unit is running and watched the oil fill the rotor. It does not "splash" until the rotor is full.

All that said, without question, there is a short cut for the incoming oil to escape the rotor: strait up the rotating oil surface. Even so, that is not instant and heavy particles are removed before exiting the rotor. Exceptions are "floater" light particles like bread crumbs or some very very small particles. What the feed cone does is 1) get the oil spinning before introducing into the bowl (a continuous cone will not guarantee this) and 2) introduce the oil behind the rotating surface to eliminate the short cut.

So, the feed cone will increase the efficiency of an open bow centrifuge but it comes at the cost of complexity, reduced collection capacity (regardless of bowl volume when contaminants collect to the legs of the feed channels you are done), and finally it becomes harder to clean the centrifuge; some even require extensive disassembly.

We have a feed cone (Booster) available that fits current and historical rotors for users looking for increased efficiency. We have attempted to minimize the detractions by making it an optional add-on and it does not require disassembly for cleaning.

Here is a customer thread on the unit: CF Upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Leon Griffin

Designs
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
I have an ACME Juicer as well & have spun thousands of gallons of VO with great success. I only do one pass unless the oil doesn't pass my water test & 95% of the time it does. I do get a few chunks ( I stress the word few) that fly out so I have put a small 5 micron bag filter under the Juicer so the oil coming out of it goes through the bag filter. I get between 5 & 8K miles out of my onboard filter. If I ran the oil more then one pass I could probably get alot more miles out of my onboard filter but the filter is only 13 bucks & all that extra spinning isn't worth it to me.

Sandfun are you sure you have all the holes in the basket covered? I had the same thing happen when I first started & found one little spot I had missed. That's all it takes. I epoxied the inside & outside of the basket to be sure all was covered. The hardest thing I found with the Juicer was to get it so it would not go unstable. It took me a while but I figured out how to acheive this & now it always runs smoothly.

I don't see any reason why the Juicer wouldn't do a great job cleaning WMO as well. Yes I'm sure the Simple & leons centrifuge may work better but I paid 100 bucks to buy & modify mine. For the price I am very pleased with it's performance.
too late i already have the SIMPLE CF
besides (in my opnion)
compairing wvo to wmo is really hard
wmo is so contaminated,with gunk,metal,and carbon
man you really got to be sure

if i was doing wvo,i would probably use the spinner type
my .02

2001 f250 4x4 cc sb , 6 in lift, cheyenne wheels, 3.73 gears, 4 in exhaust with muff delete ,piller gagues, dp 6 pos chip, zoodad ,john wood transmission
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfun View Post
too late i already have the SIMPLE CF
besides (in my opnion)
compairing wvo to wmo is really hard
wmo is so contaminated,with gunk,metal,and carbon
man you really got to be sure

if i was doing wvo,i would probably use the spinner type
my .02
I have to disagree with you. Although I have no presonal experince with WMO( yet) I find it hard to beleive that any centrifuge will not clean up WMo just as good as it does WVO. I have cleaned some really nasty looking WVO up with my Juicer.

IMHO a gravity feed centrifuge works much better then the pressure type.

I would still like to know what problems you had with the Juicer. They can be a PITA for sure.

Monitoring with Torque.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
I have to disagree with you. Although I have no presonal experince with WMO( yet) I find it hard to beleive that any centrifuge will not clean up WMo just as good as it does WVO. I have cleaned some really nasty looking WVO up with my Juicer.

IMHO a gravity feed centrifuge works much better then the pressure type.

I would still like to know what problems you had with the Juicer. They can be a PITA for sure.

well it just didnt,collect enoughf gunk
just a film,i suppose it could have leaked,but i dought it,i did fill the sides with water and ran it wile the top was off,and no water was comming out.
i think the splash,was the problem,but i cant know for sure

what i do know,is that injectors for my 01 are 300.00 each
and i just didnt feel like it was clean enoughf

one thing i learned and still use is
suspending the CF with bungee cords
it worked for the juicer,and it's working for the simple CF
runs true and smooth...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 PM

WMO Cleaning for Diesel Fuel

Here is a good set up for WMO, it is a US Filtermaxx centrifuge.

You can find them here: https://usfiltermaxx.com

Last edited by Chiggy; 09-16-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in