Burning straight WMO in 1960's era Perkins 6-354 genset - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Burning straight WMO in 1960's era Perkins 6-354 genset

Hi all,

So W85 has worked awesome for me for 3-4 years now and straight WMO for my homemade waste oil furnace for 8 years.

I am now running into a problem - too much oil. I have cultivated some pretty good connections for getting my waste oil over the years but get more than I can use - have close to 9000L settling, and this is the busy collecting season, need to buy another tank.

ANYWAYS,

I was getting ready to go off grid and drop 20G's on batteries/invertors etc and use my Perkins 30KW genset (600 orig hours) to charge them when a friend of mine slapped me upside the head and asked Why bother with the batteries? Run the gennie 24/7 - your fuel is cheap enough.

Ran the numbers and would cost me $270 to run for a month - elec is $600 month so not bad.

Then I remembered someone on here was running straight WMO (I think) so here is what I was thinking.

-Run Straight WMO, preheat oil (coil in exhaust/coolant before IP) and if required put some inline heaters right in front of the injectors.
-Run water injection for coking.
-Maybe set up a dual fuel system with d2 for startup/.shutdown like the fryer guys do - used for servicing as unit runs 24/7
-def'n up the service interval

*My waste oil furnace runs straight WMO based on the premise that oil is heated to 170 before atomization with compressed air (nozzle like a paint gun)

What thinkest ye all? Doable?

Thanks John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Absolutely. Wish I had the source you do. You've got the requirements down. Just have to put the plan into action.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

RT,

Thanks, Thought so but some 3rd party assurance is always good!

john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 04:55 PM

I would love to hear how this goes, what kind of IP does the 354 have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in