I want to convert to WVO and need plumbing diagram of valves etc - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want to convert to WVO and need plumbing diagram of valves etc

I am tired of the high diesel prices and I am going to try to convert one tank to WVO but I just don't understand the plumbing of it. the picture on Greasel is not to good does anyone have a good picture of the plumbing with solenoid and 3 way valve? I am going to make my own tank heater and bundled hoses.I am just confused about the bypass going back to tank and where the fuel lines go to
Tony

96 F250 PSD 4X4 Crew Cab, Automatic,355 gears, Diablo 3 stage Flip Chip, no kitty,Ranch Hand rear bumper,Icom 706 HF radio,Icom 208H dual band,home made intake,Hella 450 fog lights Hella 4000 driving lights Hella FF200 fog lights,Autometer Boost & pyro gauges (((XM))) Satellite Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 PM

Re: I want to convert to WVO and need plumbing diagram of valves etc

I made my own bundled hose from 2" to 1" heat shrink tubing that I bought from McMaster-Carr and it came out very nice. I bought a 25' roll as well as a 50' roll of 5/8 heater hose and 25' of 5/16 fuel line. (I needed 22') You can buy as much of the heat shrink as you need, they sell it by the foot.

1995 C2500 Suburban 6.5 TD, 4L80-E 4 spd auto, WVO conversion installed.

2003 F-450 Super Cab 7.3 Soon to be converted.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:37 AM

My Photos: (6)

I don't know of a schematic available, which is a bummer. I think better when I can look at a map first.

A couple of guys have given reports on how they plumbed their trucks... search for them in this forum for tons of information. In essence, you are creating a by-pass loop of coolant to go through some sort of heating coil in the veggie tank and running beside the fuel line in order to heat the veggie prior to burning.

As for the valving, most put a solenoid/valve between the diesel tank and the lift pump. That way you can choose whether the lift pump pulls out of the veggie tank or the diesel tank. I'm planning on adding a pump on the veggie tank to help with the increased viscosity.

As for the return, I'm still unsure as to how the PSD is plumbed. Does the return line go to the tank or is it deadheaded in the engine? Some use a 6 port solenoid so that when on diesel the return diesel goes back to the tank and when on veggie the return veggie goes back into the fuel lines heading toward the engine. The idea here is to keep circulating the same oil so it will get hotter.

I'm thinking of returning the surplus veggie back to that tank just as we return the surplus diesel. Opinions wise diesel fans?

I look forward to reading replies to your question as I'm still learning too.

Todd

2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Todd,
i just called greasel and they said they are using a 6 port valve now and that they are updating the web site to have better instructions.Also i am 99% sure the return goes back to the tank.I guess thats why they are using the 6 port valve now.
Tony

96 F250 PSD 4X4 Crew Cab, Automatic,355 gears, Diablo 3 stage Flip Chip, no kitty,Ranch Hand rear bumper,Icom 706 HF radio,Icom 208H dual band,home made intake,Hella 450 fog lights Hella 4000 driving lights Hella FF200 fog lights,Autometer Boost & pyro gauges (((XM))) Satellite Radio
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:23 PM

Love the idea and parts list to make the bundled tube! I've done about 10 drawings trying to figure out I want to run the lines. I just rolled under my 96 F250 tonight and found a 6 port valve working a feed and return from the engien and a set of lines to each tank.

Some one brought up on a similar thread I posted that if your run duel returns every time you swich you'll get some fuel from one tank into the other. I want to try and keep from doing that so I'm trying to work out how to run a supply and return when I'm on Diesel, a loop when I'm on veggie, and a way to switch the veggie feed to a return so I can run diesel at shutdown for just a few seconds and have it push the veggie back out of the system. If I come up with a reasonable way to do this I'll draw it out real nice and post it. If someone else aready has I would love to know, as I'm betting Fordlover would...

'96 Supercab long bed 4X4 - Only mods are for wvo - tank heater, fuel line bundled with coolant lines, and heat exchanger before fuel filter, 80k miles on used veggie oil and counting. 330K total miles so far.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 02:00 AM

Hi I found a good website by Dana Linscot that has some very good diagrams and other veggie conversion info, go to vegoilconversions.netfirms.com, hope this helps. I am working on a veggie conversion for my 88 F250 using a 50 gallon greasel tank and a heated racor filter. Using the greasel fuel line also, unsure myself on line routing, looping return line or?

Porscheman87
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 04:11 PM

My Photos: (16)

The only way I could think of that would be to have two 3-port switches, one for switching fuel input, one for switching fuel return. Then you can switch the return a minute or so after switching the fuel input.

I wanted to run my veggie return back to my tank to help in heating the tank itself.

Another option: I have seen a good picture on www.greasel.com that uses a manual Tee on the return line. Normally, the return goes back into the fuel input after the filter and lift pump. If you run out of fuel or get an air bubble, you switch the Tee connection and the return goes back to the dino tank.

Mike

96 F250 Super-Duty PSD, dual tanks (front veggie, rear diesel), Racor R45S veggie filter/heater, NAPA universal diesel 12v fuel pump, veggie tank coolant heat exchanger.
TO DO: 1000W ZeroStart coolant heater (AC), glow plug supplementary fuel heater, maybe AC tank warmer blanket.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 04:38 AM

in-tank heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhead View Post
I wanted to run my veggie return back to my tank to help in heating the tank itself.
Mike, don't they offer an in-tank heater?

1992 E350 RV, 7.3L IDI, E4OD, Dana 70 HD, 4.10, duals, 40k miles
1990 F250 7.3L IDI, ZF 5-spd, 3.55, 4x4, long-bed x-cab 130k
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 06:32 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gab16 View Post
Mike, don't they offer an in-tank heater?
This thread is 12 years old!

Greasel is long gone and many things about the way we do veggie conversions has evolved since then.

Heating the whole veggie tank is inefficient and generally a bad idea. We really just want to heat the fuel in the tank enough to get it out, then get the heat we need from the rest of the system. I prefer a heated fuel pick-up like the Hot Fox, then a 'looped return' in heated fuel lines (Tube-In-Hose) with a heated fuel filter.

On the PSD's, we use redundant fuel systems and separate the fuels with simple check valves. We switch fuels by turning the VO pump on and the D2 pump off and vice versa. For the looped return, I send the 'return' fuel from fuel pressure regulator back to just before tank where it is tee'd into the suction line (instead of dumping it in the tank). There is a separate 'purge' line for removing air and expeditious removal of VO from the engine when you switch back to D2.

For the IDI's and other IP-equipped engines, I prefer to use (3) 3-port switching valves. The first valve selects which tank the fuel is coming from, the 2nd valve selects which tank fuel is returned to and the 3rd valve is on the veggie return line - it chooses return to tank (for purging) or return to suction line (creating a 'looped return'). If the 3rd valve is back at the tank and the fuel lines are all TIH, we don't even need a FPHE in the system!

Wvo and svo diesel to vegetable oil conversion kit | Veggie Garage has the best parts to build a system for a 7.3/6.0 PSD ('94-07) - including the best options for e-fuel conversion on the OBS trucks.

I do custom VO conversions and diesel engine swaps here in N. GA for folks all over north America. Most of my conversions lately are 7.3/6.0 PSD's - but I can make nearly any diesel run (reliably!!) on VO. In my spare time, I am working on a WVO system for the 6.7 PSD/6.7 Cummins and swapping Mercedes 5cyl turbo diesels into Jeep vehicles.

Choose wisely. Or PLEASE post pics of the carnage!!!

2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges on pillar - EGT, Boost, Fuel Press., HPO Press. - No Muffler, AIH delete, SB Con OFE, AC code injctrs (160cc), T4/S366 turbo. Vegistroke-inspired WVO system w/180,000 trouble-free miles! BTS tunes, 203 t-stat w/billet housing, '07 grill/lites and big, bad front bumper!

2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited - BTS trans and tunes, AIS, Frybrid/V3 SVO conversion 120k VO miles - wrecked 4/13, RIP...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's 300k miles on SVO between them!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

removed due to rules violations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in