Removing fats from WVO? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Removing fats from WVO?

I'm not used to getting soy WVO with animal fats but I have 100 gallon of it that I wish to separate out the fat. The problem is that the fats clog my on-board veggie filter far faster than fat free oil does although both are filtered to 1 micron.

I've been filtering it at 120*F but when it cools the fats re-solidify. I've tried to filter cold, but even at 1 micron it clogs up my screen way too fast.

What's the best way to remove fat from oil on a large scale? I'm thinking of filling a 275 gallon IBC with the 100 gallons and 175 gallons of other good oil and hoping the fats will settle. I'm thinking full sun to warm the contents and draining out the fats at dawn when they should be visible at the bottom. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

'97 F-350 7.3L PSD RC LB 4WD E4OD - Plant Drive VO kit
'84 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two-tank VO
Running on Veg Oil and Biodiesel since May 2006

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Re: Removing fats from WVO?

Sounds like you already figured it out, or you could convert it to BIODIESEL!
I suspect it is not aminal fats, just a vege oil that has a diff temp that it turns at.
Makes fine summer BIODIESEL!
What are you going to do with it once you seperate it and drain off the heavy stuff? Find someone thats making BIODIESEL! and let them convert it.
BIODIESEL!!
Rick H...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pres Omaha Metro PSD Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HIS
96 F250 4x4 auto super cab.
TS 4 Pos Chip, addaLeaf, Boss 8'-6" plow, , DIY AIC, Tymar DP, gutted EBPV, JS IDM, Tymar Intake, 4" Open exhaust, trio a-pillar gauges + 6 overhead gauges. TruCool 4590 Tran Cooler. On board air with dual horns. 4 corner strobes. AC mod with Twist, ISSPro Turbo Temp Monitor, Power Pedel mod, turbo ped mod, Warn Lock-outs, Swamps 175/173 99 IC & GTS Pipe Kit,Snow Performance Water/Meth inj (NOT hooked up!), chicken to use it!
Garmin GPS,Toughbook Laptop, All Mode Ham Radio.
HERS
97 F250 CC SWB 100% stock and going to stay that way! I lied, Shimmed, Tymar Intake. I lied again, kat dead! More lies.. 3" DP, Gutted EBPV, Turbo Pedistal Mod. Dyno'd 263 hp
[color:"RED"] RDRCM#20 [/color]
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 PM

The best way is to just make biodiesel out of it all and not worry about it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jeez,, by the time you SVO people do all the work of filtering and de-watering, you probably did more work than if you just made biodiesel..

Anyhow,
Its been my experience that tallows fall to the bottom fastest when the liquid is about 10 degrees above the cloud point of the vegetable oil.. Yes.. that means chill it.. not warm it..

When you warm the liquid, you help keep the animal fats in a liquid state along with the veg oil... but when you chill it, the animal fats are the first to precipitate out and fall to the bottom as little white string looking things..

Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]

Jeez,, by the time you SVO people do all the work of filtering and de-watering, you probably did more work than if you just made biodiesel..

[/ QUOTE ]

You bioD guys are killin' me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I've taken a bioD home brew class and have GM's book but I'm resisting making mayonnaise. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] Problem is that all my oil is in 55 gal steel drums and I can't see a darn thing. Murphy, your 10* above cloud point idea sounds like a plan. So filling my IBC in full sun it is.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Richard,
Stop by, I got tons of FREE 55 gallon white plastic barrels you can have!
You worry too much. The process is easy and seems to me less work and worry than SVO, but thats a whole nother argument I guess.
I know when I have made a batch if it is good or not, no guessing about it.
Rick H...

Pres Omaha Metro PSD Club

HIS
96 F250 4x4 auto super cab.
TS 4 Pos Chip, addaLeaf, Boss 8'-6" plow, , DIY AIC, Tymar DP, gutted EBPV, JS IDM, Tymar Intake, 4" Open exhaust, trio a-pillar gauges + 6 overhead gauges. TruCool 4590 Tran Cooler. On board air with dual horns. 4 corner strobes. AC mod with Twist, ISSPro Turbo Temp Monitor, Power Pedel mod, turbo ped mod, Warn Lock-outs, Swamps 175/173 99 IC & GTS Pipe Kit,Snow Performance Water/Meth inj (NOT hooked up!), chicken to use it!
Garmin GPS,Toughbook Laptop, All Mode Ham Radio.
HERS
97 F250 CC SWB 100% stock and going to stay that way! I lied, Shimmed, Tymar Intake. I lied again, kat dead! More lies.. 3" DP, Gutted EBPV, Turbo Pedistal Mod. Dyno'd 263 hp
[color:"RED"] RDRCM#20 [/color]
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Richard,
Stop by, I got tons of FREE 55 gallon white plastic barrels you can have!

[/ QUOTE ]

One problem...you're 1,657.5 miles away. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM

I have a restaurant that uses this type of oil and I have tried it all! You either have to make bio. out of it or throw it out.I also have too much to throw it out and resist throwing it away so I guess I'm going to start making Bio.I'm am now learning how to make it and collecting the parts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a restaurant that uses this type of oil and I have tried it all! You either have to make bio. out of it or throw it out.I also have too much to throw it out and resist throwing it away so I guess I'm going to start making Bio.I'm am now learning how to make it and collecting the parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are conversion designed to use high fat/hydrogenated wvo and those that are not. If you have the first using it is not a problem. If you have the second give it to someone who makes biodiesel.

1988 F250 SC converted to run dual fuel(Diesel/filtered used fryer vegetable oil) Smells like a Bar-B-Que driving down the road. Chicken one day..pork the next.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are conversion designed to use high fat/hydrogenated wvo and those that are not. If you have the first using it is not a problem. If you have the second give it to someone who makes biodiesel.

[/ QUOTE ] I have run hydrogenated oil for years but there are some extended use oil that have something in them that makes them useless even in the summer. I have some and it is a solid at 80 degrees! I have heated it to 180 degree and when I try to filter it ,it will coat my bag filters and not let any through, it is just a heavy slime
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

The fatty oil I'm dealing with is non-hydro soy. I can see tiny crystals floating on the surface when at ambient temp, but is totally liquid at 40*F.

The oil you describe is something that I'd never collect in the first place. It sounds gross. Why would any restaurant use it (unless they're 100% ignorant)?

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 12:14 PM

I agree with the chilling. I use only translucent oil. I have a bunch of cubes with clear oil on top and butter looking oil on bottom. Maybe I could use one of those cheap plastic bio processors to seperate the butter from oil. Then return the butter back to the dumpster. Maybe one of these days I'll get the bio process figured out.

01 F-250 Superduty XL 133,500 miles
31,500 miles on veggie
Ditched the Auto trans 4R100
6-speed Handrattla...
Clutch pedal
FASS pump
DP 80hp econo tune
Veggie oil undercoating and bedliner

Homemade veggie kit based on FN74
4" exhaust
DIY Tymar
tool box
rear springs
Shocks
275/75/16 BFG A/T's
203* T-stat
fuel pump
Water Pump
IDM

Dents

Rust

brakes
Front caliper
ball joints
all u-joints
2 fuses
more rust............
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

You call it butter...I call it sludge. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You call it butter...I call it sludge. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]No matter what you call it,it will make bio.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps... but if you live north of florida, all those tallows will just be bio-sludge when the temperature drops below 70 degF.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps... but if you live north of florida, all those tallows will just be bio-sludge when the temperature drops below 70 degF.

[/ QUOTE ]Right thats why I use it in the summer ( I have 4000 gal storage )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in