WHAT IS WHAT - DEFINITIONS FOR THIS FORUM - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Is What - Definitions For This Forum

Per requests from several on the forum, the following is what is what:

Please PM me if anyone sees anything that should be added.

B20 Mix of 20% biodiesel and 80% Diesel

Bio Diesel is fuel made from oil through a process called transesterifacation. That is the seperation of the glycerine from the esters in the oil. This is what the methanol and lye do. The glycerine is the waste and the esters is the bio-d.

Blended Vegetable Oil Mixing Vegetable oil with a thinning agent to lower the viscosity of the Vegetable Oil so it pumps and injects more like diesel.

FPHE Flat Plate Heat Exchanger

RUG Regular Unleaded Gasoline

SVO is new straight veggie oil (any kind, never used). May also need heated, like WVO.

ULSD Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

WVO is used veggie oil, usually picked up from a restaurant or food processing plant. Once processed it may need to be warmed in your tank or pickup in colder weather so your engine can use it.

I will edit as I come across clearer or other definitions.

Dave / Believer45

Last edited by Believer45; 03-03-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Add some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 PM

My Photos: (0)
Re: WHAT IS WHAT - DEFINITIONS FOR THIS FORUM

what does harpooned tank mean?

2005 f250 4x2 cc sb Torqshift, RBP 4" stainless exhaust w/ hi-flow cat, Airaid intake, Mishimoto radiator + CAC piping, BD intercooler, ARP head studs, Garrett Powermax, Fluidampr, LeftCoast Diesel Coolant filter, functional ram air hood, FASS, AccuFab elbow, Aero 55 gal fuel tank, 4" FabTech lift, AirLift bags on rear, Detroit locker, MagHytec diff cover, SnugTop shell, 22x11 KMC Monsters on Nitto Dura Grapplers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 AM

My Photos: (2)

Vinny,

check your PM's.

Feb 03 6.0 Silver F-250 SD SC XLT long box, 6-spd 3.73ls, Fx4, Stock, Spray-in liner, Contico box.HARPOONED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 PM

There is a fairly extensive "terms and acronyms" at: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/m...cs?forum=55418

1988 F250 SC converted to run dual fuel(Diesel/filtered used fryer vegetable oil) Smells like a Bar-B-Que driving down the road. Chicken one day..pork the next.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 AM

My Photos: (14)

It's 'transesterfication'.

The Green Monster
: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (189)

Transesterification (Chemical Conversion of Biodiesel)

The manufacturing of biodiesel from vegetable oils (e.g. soy, canola, jatropha or sunflower seed) or animal fats, involves the base-catalyzed transesterification of fatty acids with methanol or ethanol to give the corresponding methyl esters or ethyl esters. Glycerin is an inevitable byproduct of this reaction.

Vegetable oils as animal fats are triglycerides composed of three chains of fatty acids bound by a glycerin molecule. Triglycerides are esters. Esters are acids, like fatty acids, combined with an alcohol. Glycerine (= glycerol) is a heavy alcohol. In the conversion process triglyceride esters are turned into alkyl esters (= biodiesel) using a catalyst (lye) and an alcohol reagent, e.g. methanol, which yields methyl esters biodiesel. The methanol replaces the glycerin.

The glycerine - the heavier phase - will sink to the bottom. Biodiesel - the lighter phase - floats on top and can be separated, e.g. by decanters or centrifuges. This conversion process is called transesterification.

The conventional esterification reaction in batch processing tends to be slow, and phase separation of the glycerin is time-consuming, often taking 5 hours or more.

100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran
2014 Fusion Hybrid 43 MPG
2009 Mitsubishi Outlander SE - (26 MPG in town)
2001 Monaco Knight RV 5.9
Sold:
2004 VW Golf TDI - (42 MPG in town)
2001 3500 5.9 CC Dually
1999 F250 7.3 PS Ex
1996 F350 6.9 IDI CC Dually
1994 F150
1992 Thunderbird
1963 MG B
1956 Ford Fairlane
1948 Olds Coupe

click on or copy & paste for forum rules

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 AM

ULSD- Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel
FPHE- Flat Plate Heat Exchanger
RUG- Regular Unleaded Gasoline
B20- Mix of 20% biodiesel and 80% Diesel

all that good stuff........

Last edited by Believer45; 03-03-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added to first post
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:44 PM

My Photos: (3)
W85: An 85% waste motor oil (WMO) to 15% regular unleaded gasoline (RUG) blend that has been found to be a good starting point for both the IDI an 7.3 PSD engines. W85 should be completely de-watered and filtered to at least 5 micron absolute.

1986 F350 Crew Cab 4wd DRW conversion. 1993 7.3 IDI, 5spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 AM

SBC = Small Block Chevy. Used often to describe an oil pump setup that has been modified to transfer oil through hoses. ( ie- SBC pump)

2000 F-250 7.3L Turbo, 200K Miles, Extended Cab, Custom Brush Guard, ARE topper, 4" MBRP Exhaust, TS6 Chip with DPS Tunes, Gauges, 6637 air filter, harpoon and hutch mods, banjo bolt mod, fuel bowl mods, Riff Raff FRx, HPx, CCV mod, EBPV delete, bypass oil filter
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtrax View Post
SBC = Small Block Chevy. Used often to describe an oil pump setup that has been modified to transfer oil through hoses. ( ie- SBC pump)
Also SBC= worthless boat anchor. haha. If im lying im dying on this one, a guy i worked with, and yes he did happen to have a mullet, i swear, said quote: "that thar 350 in my chevy will pull circles around that yonder pieceojunk paarstoke (powerstroke-too dumb to know im an idi) and git better gas mileage a'doin' it." May God strike me down if im lying. My reply-well, I have 230-odd thousand miles, and A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. hahaha

93 F250 ext cab 4x4, 7.3 5 speed, Banks Sidewinder, straight piped
(I've actually seen people look up when I pass to find the low flying jet
) 2 tone beige (fugly) I dont worry about how much weight my truck will pull, I worry about how much it'll stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in