WMO How to thread - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels Discussion of biodiesel (homegrown or store bought) and other alternative fuels for diesel-powered vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by W123 View Post
There are drawings of the upflows, just hit upflow in the search bar.

There is a guy in Atlanta offering a 55gal drum full of hydraulic oil for free. I need drums and oil. Is it worth the 4 hour round trip drive and can I use hydraulic oil and RUG 90/10?
too bad you dont live near Indy my shop generates 300-500 gallons of used Motor Oil and ATF a month. We have about 75-85 cars a week go through here.

lots of barrels too.

what can you do with Old anti freeze?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSracing View Post
t

what can you do with Old anti freeze?
neutralize it with a good buffer, filter to 5 microns, and turn it into "good antifreeze."

99.5 Superduty Crew 4x4 6 speed Smokewagon
Pizza cutter tires, Tymar, BTM, DP

If it don't run, chrome it.
post #18 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 AM

hey i dont live far from indy an hour trip there and back for free or cheap oil sound great to me!

92 ford f350 crewcab 7.3idi e4od recently replaced! dually stock installing banks nonwaste gated turbo (tow pig family truck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitruckeratheart View Post
hey i dont live far from indy an hour trip there and back for free or cheap oil sound great to me!
Are you already making W85? or just getting started like myself?

the waste oil people give me .85 a gallon for waste oil, so Id like to at least get that for it.
post #20 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Im desperate, Ill drive 20 hrs for it. There arent any drums here!!!!

1978 Mercedes 300D. Completely stock and not rebuilt with 350k miles.

Sorry, no Ford. Wallet is too thin for now.
post #21 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM

im just getting into it, i want to make biodiesel. that was the agreement with my ball and chain. she wants to make soap... but i want to do whats cheapest... and seeing as how i have the truck now and no fuel i would like to start on w85 and work my way into biodiesel, its something i have talked about for years and i had never heard of w85 before this site. and she is very set on making soap... i brought up w85 and she threw a fit... but like i said im looking for what is cheapest. how much could i buy and transport at a time with out having to have a commercial license or hazmat sticker or plate or whatever? i mean if i drive to indy and am only spending .85 a gallon i would like to buy 200+ at a time... i have 55gal drums and a 1ton truck. would i need a trailer? im new to this but have the tendency to jump in head first once i set my mind to something. i dunno it might be best to just start off with 55gal, how much are you willing to sell at a time? should i pm u with a phone number?

92 ford f350 crewcab 7.3idi e4od recently replaced! dually stock installing banks nonwaste gated turbo (tow pig family truck)
post #22 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM

oh and you said you have barrels like 55gal drums full? would i need my own pump or are you selling barrels full? maybe you should make a post in the for sale forum. i would rather see your oil going to people burning it in their truck then the recycling companies getting it.

post #23 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
im just getting into it, i want to make biodiesel. that was the agreement with my ball and chain. she wants to make soap... but i want to do whats cheapest... and seeing as how i have the truck now and no fuel i would like to start on w85 and work my way into biodiesel, its something i have talked about for years and i had never heard of w85 before this site. and she is very set on making soap... i brought up w85 and she threw a fit... but like i said im looking for what is cheapest. how much could i buy and transport at a time with out having to have a commercial license or hazmat sticker or plate or whatever? i mean if i drive to indy and am only spending .85 a gallon i would like to buy 200+ at a time... i have 55gal drums and a 1ton truck. would i need a trailer? im new to this but have the tendency to jump in head first once i set my mind to something. i dunno it might be best to just start off with 55gal, how much are you willing to sell at a time? should i pm u with a phone number?
DOT requirements for bulk transport/placarding is reached if you're hauling either 5000lbs or more in small containers, or a single container of something like 120 gallons. 49 CFR covers everything DOT related.

Each drum weighs 450-500lbs, so load your truck as you see fit with regards to its capacity . . . and strap down your load.

1999.5 F250 creeping up on 400k.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
post #24 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
oh and you said you have barrels like 55gal drums full? would i need my own pump or are you selling barrels full? maybe you should make a post in the for sale forum. i would rather see your oil going to people burning it in their truck then the recycling companies getting it.
Well the recycle people just came last week so it will be a couple of weeks before I have 275 gallons. I have about 80 gallons now AND I'd like to keep some for myself to make. BUT you are right I'd rather sell it to guys that make fuel out of it. The recycle guys just re sell it anyway.

I think to start with I'll have my guys start filling up 55 gallon drums instead of the big tank, until I decide where to go from here. I guess since I get alot of barrels, I could sell it by the barrel.

I am buying a pump and filtering equipment this week as soon as I get an idea where to get it and what to get.

I'll get an air powered pump, probably the same as what we have now to pump in NEW oil to cars n trucks.

Last edited by JSracing; 03-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #25 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegoildieselguy View Post
Thumbs up to being a sticky! rsr, is your mixing barrel open topped?

Yes, I leave the lid on loose so I can stir it as well as look inside. A closed top is fine though, just harder to stir.

1986 F350 Crew Cab 4wd DRW conversion. 1993 7.3 IDI, 5spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
post #26 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 PM

What about burning synthetic? I have been told many times that it will not burn. Any truth to that? Actually I've been told alot of things about WMO, that being one of them?

Is there a test that can be done to determine if the WMO has been thinned enough with RUG? I know 85% MO to 15% RUG is the norm but what if you have a source that has different weights of oil in the same barrel? It may be thicker( or thinner) & need to be mixed with less or more RUG. Potentially every batch could be a bit different.

2001 F-350 Nondually. 244K miles. Pretty much stock. DIY SVO Vegistroke style 2 tank conversion April 2010. 125K miles On Vegi!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Monitoring with Torque.
post #27 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 PM

To test viscosity, Im building a cheap apparatus consisting of an old motor from a Hammond organ, some disks, and some optics. Ill be able to find the measurements relative to diesel.

Also, viscosity depends on the oil:
15w40 will need 15% RUG approx.
ATF wont need much at all

1978 Mercedes 300D. Completely stock and not rebuilt with 350k miles.

Sorry, no Ford. Wallet is too thin for now.
post #28 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
What about burning synthetic? I have been told many times that it will not burn. Any truth to that? Actually I've been told alot of things about WMO, that being one of them?

Is there a test that can be done to determine if the WMO has been thinned enough with RUG? I know 85% MO to 15% RUG is the norm but what if you have a source that has different weights of oil in the same barrel? It may be thicker( or thinner) & need to be mixed with less or more RUG. Potentially every batch could be a bit different.
Synthetic has a high flash point, something close to 500 degrees. I had 5 gallons of 0w-30 DEO and was hesitant to use it, but when I did, I didn't notice anything abnormal.

If you're worried about different weights in the same barrel, just take from the top. This will also prevent you from sucking up a bunch of slop if you hit bottom.

1999.5 F250 creeping up on 400k.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
post #29 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Can someone please explain to me what the ratios such as 85/15 WMO/RUG. I also see 50/50 is this WMO/D2? I know that I have seen 85/15 would be too thick to do WMO/D2. I know there are other ratios out there also

Where is the cut off of using diesel to mix with and going to rug?

Thanks
Todd
AKA Toad

1997 Ford F350 7.3L 4x4 automatic, Warn manual hubs, DP Tuner 6pos chip
1994 Ford FSuperduty 7.3L 5sp Rollback, 3"-4" DP, non EBVP pedestal, 4.30 Gear, Detroit TruTrac Limited slip
1989 Ford FSuperduty 7.3L 5sp Wrecker Facet electric fuel pump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stang65fst; 03-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.
post #30 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:44 PM

there isn't a cut off, it just that it is cheaper to mix 15% Rug vs. 50% D2. Both have close to the same viscosity.

1985 Ford F-250 w/ freshly rebuilt 6.9 diesel, reg. cab, 2WD, zf-5, 10.25 rear, short throw exhaust 2.5" down pipe to 5" to 7" tip, Banks non wastegated turbo, Isspro pyro, Isspro Tach., custom flatbed 9' long x 7 1/2' wide, 3g alternator, push button gp's, memphis audio sound w/ kenwood stereo and amp, Toredor Red and Cream white. Practically restored. 6500lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in